Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #46
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK111 View Post
IMO the big danger here isn't the multi cars - it's the approaches (accesses) on the left side of the road of the road you're traveling down. On secondary 2 lane roads, you have to be really cautious going past even a single car if there is ANY possibility of it can turn left..... especially if the blue hair driving it is driving 20% under the speed limit.
Yes, agree. I did a quick scan before passing the first car and there were apparently no access roads. Sadly, the side road was dirt and the grass shoulders masked its presence. I didn't see it until on the ground looking back. . .

I'm healing quickly but 5 more weeks until weight-bearing rehab!
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #47
reepicheep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Had a fractured pelvis (bottom of it) as a result of "assault by corolla", so I can share my experience with that part of it.

The prescription for it is more or less "sucks to be you". For the first month, it is "it REALLY sucks to be you". For the next month it is "sucks to be you". For the third month, it still sucks to be you, but it is SO much better than the previous two months that it feels like "good" in comparison.

Tramadol is a "less narcotic" narcotic. But don't believe them when they tell you it isn't a narcotic. IHMO. Too late now, but avoid advil in the early stages of a break, it can interfere with healing.

A year later, I could still feel it under particular circumstances. For the pelvis fracture, walking on it and moving it helps healing. The Ortho just said walk as much as you can tolerate the pain for physical therapy. Not sure if your hip fracture changes any of that.

Now, maybe 18 months later, it still feel it when sitting on hard surfaces and when the weather changes (like today in fact). But it's an annoyance, not debilitating.
reepicheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #48
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I'd rather pass fast moving cars than slow moving cars. Slow moving cars have generally slowed for a reason.

Hope you heal quickly and enjoy many safe rides in the future.
Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #49
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Man, I have to say, "Thanks for sharing." What you did is one of my intrinsic weaknesses.

I have no self-control and know it, so I've always owned slow vehicles: '64 F250, Series Land Rovers--nothing that go like stink when I shower down on the loud pedal. The bike, though, man it really goes. The other problem is where it fits. I think to myself all the time when in slow traffic that I could fit between those two cars, or between that car and the median, or that I could make that pass. The reason I don't do it is because I continually read Face Plant. I know that I'm focusing on fitting between two cars, and not why the cars are going slowly, or that it's illegal, or just plain dumb. This forum continually keeps me reset.

Glad you're going to be okay and, really, thanks for sharing. You may have saved my butt today.
2aRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #50
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

You are very welcome, as I learned some valuable lessons too that I will remember from now on. I'm really looking forward to riding again, but 6 weeks in on the 12 week process. Of course the Oklahoma fall has been unusually warm and wonderful!

Jeff
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #51
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 596
Bit of an old thread, I just saw it while looking for K1600GT info. I'm glad you're ok, and I'm really glad that you posted this. These bikes go like stink and I know that I often get a bit impatient and use that power to get around slowpokes that I have little patience for...

Your post is a good reality check that it can bite you in the ass sometimes. Thanks for the reminder. You never know who you might save by sharing your experiences.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #52
GeoAggie OP
Adventurer

UPDATE - Went for my 12 week update and the Doctor has released me to walk without crutches and begin rehab. I'm very excited and anxious to regain strength and flexibility . . . . and of course ride. I took my ST1300 out for a quick 30 mile jaunt which felt both natural and a foreign at the same time. Hope this thread serves to remind people of not taking situations for granted. I made a series of poor decisions in sequence and paid the price. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #53
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 500
Thanks for sharing your story, and I hope you make a full recovery quick!
Its amazing what you learn from your mistakes, and how you can sometimes step aside from your 'normal' riding habits and do something dumb.
I purchased a vfr800 a month or so back, and pulling out of a side street I decided to let her rip. Not something I would usually do. Well, the back tyre let go on some sand then gripped really fast, heaving the front wheel up, up and away. Having next to zero experience in the mono department I had no control.

I ended up over the centre lines with a car coming towards me. I snapped the throttle shut and heaved the heavy bike over. We missed eachother. I shit my pants and all the "what if" questions were racing through my head.

I left the bike in the shed for a few days, ad dhad a serious thinking session about what the fuck I was doing. Something out of charachter nearly killed me.
rat110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #54
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,937
I'm glad you are recovering and were not injured worse in your crash.

Feels timely to me to read this thread today. On my ride this afternoon I got stuck behind a line of three cars driving from 40-45MPH in a 55 limit. I SO SO SO wanted to pass and had plenty of room and could see nobody coming and the VFR would have been by in an instant, etc.

I forced myself to hang back because the vehicles were big pickup trucks behind an SUV. I could not see the lead SUV's tail or signal lights and I had nightmare flashes of the SUV turning left as soon as I executed the pass. No thanks!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #55
CHAPIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraberg View Post
I've been in a similar situation, and I learned one thing really quick.

When traffic is moving slow, there usually is a reason for it. Hang back, relax, and pass when you've positively determined that you can.

It sounds pedantic, and it is actually more to remind me, than to convince you.

Glad you made it out in one piece.
Not pedantic at all, in fact one of the best advice I've read regarding motorcycle safety.

This most have probably could have prevented an accident I had. Probably the worst one for me mentally since I had my wife ridding pillion.

CHAPIN screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 07:44 PM Reason: Add some info.
CHAPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #56
engineman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoAggie View Post
Update . . . After a confusing week of tests the MRI show three non-displaced fractures - femoral neck, pelvis and hip socket. I have an appointment with hip orthopedist next week finally. So far, no surgery, just no weight bearing. If no fractures are seen on X-rays then passive treatment.

I'm still playing the accident back in my mind. Any one of 3-4 decisions/events that I could have changed would have prevented the accident. But, I can't wait to ride again :-)
10 Yrs ago I wrecked a Suzuki on a cow and demolished my left arm. 14 fractures, nerve damage, plates, pins, yada yada yada. In all the excitement nobody noticed I also broke a chunk out of my hip socket. My wife remembers me complaining about it in the hospital but thanks to the morphine pump I don't remember anything. Long story short, the hip bothers me a lot more now than the arm ever does. May have to do surgery to pull out the bone fragments. In other words, make sure they fix it now.
engineman is offline   Reply With Quote