Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #2071
jabandsnort
a mighty fly dancer

Oddometer: 192
Just bought a new (to me) 2006 FJR after selling my 2006 BMW 1200GS. I have to admit, that BMW was an amazing machine, never let me down in the 51,000 miles I rode it. So why sell it then? Idk, bored I guess, and I've always wanted an FJR. Too many bikes out there ad too little time...
I just picked up the new bike yesterday, and definately took th longway home. Too early for a definitive comparison, but here's a few initial thougts:
The Good:
- Less buffeting/better wind protection. As you'd guess from a fully faired bike I suppose. The FJR isn't perfect though, and truth be told at 6'1" with a 33" inseam the Yamaha touring screen that came on my bike is only really good at the lowest position. Need to do some screen shopping in the near future. No biggie though, I went through 4 on the GS to get where it was acceptable butnever great.
- Oh what an engine. I have often said that more than 100 hp on a streetbike is overkill, and while I still sorta believe that I sure do enjoy twisting the FJR's throttle!
- The clutch on the FJR is fantastic, so smooth compared to the GS's dry clutch.
-Normal brakes! Always hated the overly complex servo brakes on the 05-06 models (obviously BMW dd too, as they were gone after those years) Might need some new pads though.

The not so good:
Mostly well documented stuff
-Leg room. I did really enjoy the GS legroom, my hips and knees will be complaining onlonger rides.
-Where's 6th gear. Not saying the FJR NEEDS it per say, buthow great would it be to haveon overdrive with that engine!
-Acres of plastic to worry about.. comes with the wind protection I guess.
-The shifting.. Some call the BMW agricultural, but mine shifted butter smooth, the FJR not so much. I see there's an R1 shifter mod though..

Misc thoughts:
-The FJR handles well for a big long machine, but that GS was amazingly nimble in the twisties, I'm gonna miss that..
-Vibes? Both are really smooth bikes, just different frequencies. If the FJR had a 6th gear it would be better, but as-is the GS has the edge for me cruising at 70-80mph
-Love, love, love twisting the throttle on the FJR! (said that already but it needed repeating.

Happy with the swap so far, though there are trade-offs for sure, I'm stoked everythme I look in the garage. I can tell this is gonna be a good thing and I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Pics to come!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #2072
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabandsnort View Post
-The FJR handles well for a big long machine, but that GS was amazingly nimble in the twisties, I'm gonna miss that.
Get your suspension sorted for your riding on the FJR and you'll find it'll hustle right along on a twisty road.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #2073
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
New FJR

Just picked up a 2013 model yesterday, Oh yeah!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #2074
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Congrats! Let us know how you like it and how well the cruise control works.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #2075
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,706
BruceWA, I would also like to hear your thoughts on the '13 FJR. I currently own a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere and a '97 Honda ST1100. I'm considering upgrading the old Honda for a more modern sport tourer. The new Triumph Trophy, the Kawi Concours and the new FJR are on my short list of bikes to consider. I would love to know what you think of the FJR in terms of comfort, smoothness, wind protection, etc..
Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #2076
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Wise move grasshopper.

Besides be'in smooth, comfortable, powerful, 'n handle'in good, it's the lowest maintenance, most reliable in it's class.
If'n ya like ride'in much, yer gonna luv the 26 ta 30,000 mi. valve checks, 'n 250 mi. (Or mor?) tank range. Itz all 'bout the total package.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #2077
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
BruceWA, I would also like to hear your thoughts on the '13 FJR. I currently own a '12 Yamaha Super Tenere and a '97 Honda ST1100. I'm considering upgrading the old Honda for a more modern sport tourer. The new Triumph Trophy, the Kawi Concours and the new FJR are on my short list of bikes to consider. I would love to know what you think of the FJR in terms of comfort, smoothness, wind protection, etc..
With ony 150 miles in the 2 days of ownership I am NOT an expert. BUT, coming from a 06 BMW K1200GT I do have some observations...OK, after many years of being BMW saddled I made the change to the FJR two days ago. Have had a number of BMWs and was very happy with the ownership and quality of them. My last was a 06 K1200GT which was sold to a long time riding partner. It had given my 54k of smiling miles. Have had the FJR now for two days and have accumulated 150 whopping miles . Looks like it is in the shop for the winter now. Cold and snow are not to my liking.

The ergonomics are very good, the wind screen gives more coverage than I recalled from my last ride on a FJR, and the seat is wider in the front than I'm accustomed to. The handling is very good, it enters the corners easier than by GT did, but the suspension is much softer than I am used to, will have to make some changes in the spring. The controls are all logical and easy to learn and use. Now the power, well I'm being gentle during the break in period, but I'd say the GT was superior in this department and being that it was slightly lighter (we're still talking poundage here )the difference is notable, but still more than ample for triple digits and LEO attention.

Rode the C14, looked at a Ducati MTS 1200 S Touring and found a couple of BMW K1300GTs but when it came time to buy I ruled out the Duc for several reasons, and the K1300GT basically the same GT I sold with more power, the C14 had more power and the screen worked very well. So it was actually a very easy decision to go with the FJR, having ridden them 3-4 times since they were introduced and the 2013 with its enhancements drew me in. Cruise control is great, the BMW spoiled me with this feature, cannot imagine doing with out at my advanced age and extreme laziness.

So there you have it, my very initial impressions and really looking forward to next spring to continue my affair with her.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #2078
Schumy[RO]
Motographer

Oddometer: 13
Thumb New FJR owner

This is my '03 ABS(european version):

It's the best bike I've ever ridden. Quick, agile, confortable...a complete bike.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #2079
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
So what is the cool stuff that the European model gets that we don't get. side view would be cool if there are noticeable differences.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #2080
Schumy[RO]
Motographer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightrod View Post
So what is the cool stuff that the European model gets that we don't get. side view would be cool if there are noticeable differences.
The european model got the 2004 updates(and ABS) in 2003. And I think my color(tehno-jade) was available only here.

L.E. Does anyone know why fjrtech.com is not working?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #2081
RogerDe
Dust In The Wind

Oddometer: 265
Went to the Dallas bike show the new 2013 FJR had five or six people standing around it all day long could'nt even get a good pic,Nice bike ,color could be a better choice, just my thought's...Ride On...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #2082
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,744
I got to inspect a 2013 at the dealer yesterday (Cool Springs Powersports) and I really liked what I saw. Not going to upgrade now but maybe in a couple of years.

mobile Clocklaw
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #2083
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 457
Just took my '09 AE on what will probably be the last ride of the season. I'm busy making up power cables to run a Valentine 1 and my cell phone from the tankbag, and sending the factory seats off to Rick Mayer for a custom seat (have a Sargeant seat as a backup that I'll sell once I'm happy with the Mayer, in case I get the chance to ride more this winter).

Every time I ride my FJR I become more enamored with it. I didn't get to make a long trip with it this year, but I'm going to block out a month in the summer and take off. What a great bike!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #2084
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Must resist urge to go into debt further...

I'm starting to get the fever. My '06 is set up so well for me and doesn't have a thing wrong with it but dang I like the improvements on the '13. Hmm...

It looks like my stem mount, cans, blinky tail lights and top box will likely fit, don't need to move the cruise or heated grips, not sure about the Sargent seat but I would lose my windshield.

I imagine the HIDs would move over so that leaves my lithium battery, bar ends, grips, bar risers to consider...

Wonder how much just to paint the top box?

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #2085
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
Must resist urge to go into debt further...

I'm starting to get the fever. My '06 is set up so well for me and doesn't have a thing wrong with it but dang I like the improvements on the '13. Hmm...

It looks like my stem mount, cans, blinky tail lights and top box will likely fit, don't need to move the cruise or heated grips, not sure about the Sargent seat but I would lose my windshield.

I imagine the HIDs would move over so that leaves my lithium battery, bar ends, grips, bar risers to consider...

Wonder how much just to paint the top box?
Your 2006 is (or should be) a Gen II bike. So the seat, bar ends, and risers will move right over to a Gen III (2013).

How you likin that Sargent?
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote