Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
Anyone seen one of these?

http://www.theautomoto.com/

automoto?

It's a three wheel GY-6 powered scooter with a trunk,roof,wipers, etc.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Never seen one in person, but I have seen a you-tube video for it. It appears that it is being market as a different model name though here. But same or similar bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hOA2C_XMA

Looks like a better alternative to the Honda Gyro! Same leaning capabilities and such, but it has a 150 cc engine so will do 55-60 MPH. Cool looking scoot though! I like the winch shield and all that.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
yeah. its sold under different names around the globe. in this country Automoto is the distributor, and its manufactured by Chinese company Xingyue, who sells it as the Vogue

interesting idea. i read somewhere it feels sort of top heavy, and the mechanism / device that attaches the top half of the scooter to the bottom "trike" part can wear unevenly, making it lean in favor of one side or the other, and feel squirrely around corners

when researching a buy myself i found many owners on forums who felt it is a good idea, but in execution is flawed. the main complaint was about the roof, which of course is one of its main selling points. too heavy, some complained. i forget how much the top weighs, but apparently once the "swivel" which attaches the entire top half to the bottom trike part starts to wear, its somewhat difficult to keep the scooter "centered" at stops or even while riding, and the entire thing tends to lean, causing the rider to make a good effort to keep it straight up at stops, and having to put a foot or two down to do so

to alleviate that problem some ended up taking the roof off and found it to handle better, and easier to manage at stops. others simply ordered one and left the roof off, as it bolts on, and covered the protruding hardware with rubber pieces and what not. and the actual company which makes them does have a roofless model, but i don't think its available in the U.S. this is it right here

some youtube vids which may lead you to other looks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPrnobVBciw

and finally if you are interested in such things, a repair manual i took the liberty of uploading which goes through the entire scooter and its underpinnings, both mechanical and functional

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YDEUMWT4

DudeClone screwed with this post 12-19-2010 at 03:42 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
Thanks for the comments. Did anyone check out the video where the one painted UPS colors was ridden by, I think, a motorcycle racer? He flogs it.

Apparently their sales are climbing while most other scooter sales are tanking.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
LandPirateMBC
Full blown child

Oddometer: 163
Really reeeeally lame....
LandPirateMBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 AM   #6
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
That looks like the Manhattan M3 ECO POD sold in Australia. The 'boot' on those is supposedly 72 litres in volume. The dealer claims that its capable of traveling 100 km on 3 lt of fuel.

Manhattan M3 ECO POD
Old 12-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
I'm not keen on trikes, and that one looks even lamer than the scooter I saw with the training wheel attachment to "make it stable"

All I know is from what I saw of them, I wouldn't even think of owning one.

maybe a Stella with a Sidecar, but the Sidecar would be stretching it, even for me (I'm not really a sidecar person)
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Automoto review.
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Its a knock off of the BMW C1 There was a guy with a C1 at Amerivespa in San Antonio 2010. He seemed to have a lot of fun with it and the trunk made it even more practical than a regular scoot. You could swap it out with a carseat for a kid or passenger seat as well. Google BMW C1 for more about it.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,630
A couple of Chinese scooter dealers around here sell them, under different names, and from the low price, they cannot be good quality. Definitely not something I would want. And I can see design problems just by looking at it. I don't know what it weighs, but it seems it would be to much for a 150cc GY-6. I have no idea why anyone would want an enclosed scooter, I ride bikes to be out in the open. I have also owned a couple of convertibles, and am planning on getting another.

I like sidecars, and will probably eventually own one, when I am no longer able to ride on 2 wheels. I can't stand trikes, especially Goldwing trikes. I like the Goldwing as a bike, especially the older ones, but making a trike out of it makes it look like a huge version of a Hoveround. I don't care for any motorcycle/scooter based trike, but I do like those VW powered trikes. Always wanted one, but the prices are unreal.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,479
yep seen them but since it's china scooter I always side with maybe not so good unless you do what some do with china scooters
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #12
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
I'm not keen on trikes, and that one looks even lamer than the scooter I saw with the training wheel attachment to "make it stable"

All I know is from what I saw of them, I wouldn't even think of owning one.

maybe a Stella with a Sidecar, but the Sidecar would be stretching it, even for me (I'm not really a sidecar person)
This isn't your standard kind of trike, but one in which the forward Two-Thirds of its length leans over through bends.

Carver One did it all very well but all for a hefty price!

Venture One tried to offer possible customers the same experience, although via the power of electricity . . . but seems to quietly just faded from the scene.

Not to be left out, BMW has been exploring this concept with their Clever . . . . experimenting with compressed natural gas (CNG) and lithium-ion batteries. But with the 2013 model year looming, their Five-year Plan to production from 2007 is over-running expectations.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 433
So this is a Honda Gyro, with a body? I have an 85 Gyro with a 50cc 2 cycle engine, and it's just too small for American traffic. But a 150 should be good.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote