Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,413
I bought a Chevrolet Volt recently.

My first brand new car in my entire life, so far.

No pictures because it looks like every other Silver Topaz Metallic Volt with a black leather interior and polished wheels.

I found out this evening that the top speed is limited to 101 mph and that full throttle acceleration up to and including 101 mph runs the charge down quickly. The drain on the battery was 109 Kw indicated which would be 146 HP which is about what the electric motor is rated.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,272
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,706
Awesome.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I figured I'd start a thread about it to see if some other Volt owners had anything to add. I'm curious about driving efficiently. Is it more efficient to use the gas engine for highway trips and the battery for in town and stop and go if the distance is going to exceed the normal electric range?

I like the way it drives. It has a more precise feel than a Prius. I used to have a Corvette and Corvette drivers always wave at each other. I'm not sure if Volt drivers should.

Should I give the finger to Leaf drivers because the Leaf is so impotent looking. It has an air cooled battery, you know. Not liquid cooled like real cars.

Also, I was thinking about an accessory light that comes on to show people that you're in electric mode to make them envious.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,826
Where did you find one? I read somewhere that dealers canít keep them in stock.
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 848
Did you get the "eco" package that allows it to be carpool lane friendly?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu View Post
Where did you find one? I read somewhere that dealers canít keep them in stock.
A dealer near me had about 15 of them for some reason. A ZL-1 Camaro, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Did you get the "eco" package that allows it to be carpool lane friendly?
Yes, I can't imagine that any in CA would be ordered without it since there is no extra cost.

According to the California Air Resource Board website, part of eligibility for the green sticker is that the car must "Have a 10 yr/150K warranty on the zero emission energy storage system." I read that to mean the battery.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
When you are driving a Volt down the highway, does the gas engine ever directly drive the wheels? Or is it all power to the wheels through the electric motor?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
When you are driving a Volt down the highway, does the gas engine ever directly drive the wheels? Or is it all power to the wheels through the electric motor?
Yes. The original story was that it was always an electrical connection. Then there was the shocking expose!!!111 Above 70 mph the engine directly drives the wheels as well as electrically. Some people made a big fuss about this because it wasn't a true series hybrid blah blah blah blah.

I drive it differently than gasoline cars. Much more conservatively, an excellent term in this context. I'm trying not to be a traffic impediment. Tailgating Priuseses is kind of fun.

I think this will explain everything.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I think this will explain everything.
Yes, that's the alternator and starter sprag clutch in a KTM 950. What does that have to do with your car?
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Yes, that's the alternator and starter sprag clutch in a KTM 950. What does that have to do with your car?
It's a picture of gears and electricity. Look at the power, the Sun and his planets. America writ large through fire and hob. The phases of Westinghouse and Tesla.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,363
Alright, just who the hell are you and what have you done with Anorak!

It is definitely the kind of car that Anorak would buy...just not new...not now.

Anorak is supposed to buy it from an old lady, in fifteen years, after the technology has moved on to something else. He would buy it, take it apart just to see how it all worked, post pictures of it's innards here for all of us to see, then sell it once he got bored with all the theoretical HP, kWH and range calculations.

The real Anorak would locate a rogue EV1 that GM didn't crush, then defiantly parade it around town with some newfangled battery design.

The REAL Anorak would never buy a new car, much less an American one...with a WARRANTY. The end must be near.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
Anorak OP
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
Alright, just who the hell are you and what have you done with Anorak!

It is definitely the kind of car that Anorak would buy...just not new...not now.

Anorak is supposed to buy it from an old lady, in fifteen years, after the technology has moved on to something else. He would buy it, take it apart just to see how it all worked, post pictures of it's innards here for all of us to see, then sell it once he got bored with all the theoretical HP, kWH and range calculations.

The real Anorak would locate a rogue EV1 that GM didn't crush, then defiantly parade it around town with some newfangled battery design.

The REAL Anorak would never buy a new car, much less an American one...with a WARRANTY. The end must be near.
I did put it on a lift and look at the stuff on the bottom which doesn't look like much. I haven't taken off any of the plastic covers over the engine and inverter thing with the big orange wires. I am curious if anyone has done any hacking of the electronics. There is a section in the "infotainment" menu that allows someone to update the "infotainment" software through the USB port. I would expect that customized menus and functions are possible.

I've had the same reaction from people I know as when I bought the V70XC Volvo. They are confused, it's not what they thought I would be interested in.

And, of the 15 or so cars the real Anorak has owned, three have been foreign and until the Volt only one had a V-8. None have been Fords because a flathead Mercury isn't a Ford nor is a suicide door Lincoln Continental which are aside from the three foreign cars the only non GM cars Anorak has owned. Okay, I just remembered a Ford Fairmont six banger with no rear floor I had that was a demolition derby car and a Dodge Dart that I owned for a day before I traded it for a built TH400 for my 442.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #14
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I figured I'd start a thread about it to see if some other Volt owners had anything to add. I'm curious about driving efficiently. Is it more efficient to use the gas engine for highway trips and the battery for in town and stop and go if the distance is going to exceed the normal electric range?

I like the way it drives. It has a more precise feel than a Prius. I used to have a Corvette and Corvette drivers always wave at each other. I'm not sure if Volt drivers should.

Should I give the finger to Leaf drivers because the Leaf is so impotent looking. It has an air cooled battery, you know. Not liquid cooled like real cars.

Also, I was thinking about an accessory light that comes on to show people that you're in electric mode to make them envious.

Personally, I think you should wear a green bandanna and start a gang of Volt Pirates. You can shake your fist as you pass other hybrids. You can hang out at Starbucks and talk about resistance. Which we know is futile.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #15
aussie_king_mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
FYI, the Chevrolet Voltís engine DOES NOT directly drive the wheels.

An 111kW electric drive unit powers Voltís wheels at all times. Positioned under the hood next to the generator, it packages a pair of electric motors and a multi-mode transaxle with continuously variable capability. Unlike a conventional powertrain, there are no step gears within the unit, and no direct mechanical linkage from the engine through the drive unit to the wheels.

Inside the drive unit, one or both of the motors drives the vehicle based on performance and speed to optimise efficiency. One of the motors serves a dual function, either to help drive the wheels, or to operate as a generator to keep the battery pack at its minimum state of charge.

At higher loads and speeds, the second motor will activate as needed for efficiency. The Voltec propulsion system optimiser evaluates the best efficiency point hundreds of times per second.

It seamlessly switches from one-motor to two-motor operation to use as little energy as possible while still meeting the driverís needs.

Voltís extended driving range comes courtesy of a highly refined, 1.4 litre, 63 kW petrol generator that provides power to the electric motors.

aussie_king_mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: