Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #121
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpony View Post
I got a 2012 RGU as a late Christmas present in Jan. After changing the windshield, handlebars, and saddle, I've got the best mile eater I've ever owned. The Heritage bars, Road Zeppelin, and CeeBailey shield make a super comfortable cockpit. It fits and suits me. I put a Draco 2 into 1, opened up the breather, and tuned it with a Power Vision. It gets 42-43 mpg at 80 mph, 2 up and loaded. Two up I don't think it can be bettered. Solo I'm about as comfortable on my 1150GS with it's Daylong, throw in a gravel or SAND stretch and that's a no brainer. I think the HD lifestyle shit is just that, but the bikes are quality, heavy duty, well built machines. Mike

Just a question: how high did you get your windsheild? I got a 15 inch windvest and really like it, much better than stock. Amazing what a tiny bit of windshield shaping can do....

I used to ride with an Airhawk seat pad all the time...but on my last trip I stored it. Rode my 1060 mile day without it and felt fine. The seat pad is nice on my arse, but the extra height pushes me up into the windstream/buffeting just a bit more, so it's a mixed bag.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #122
fatpony
Dixiecrat

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Just a question: how high did you get your windsheild? I got a 15 inch windvest and really like it, much better than stock. Amazing what a tiny bit of windshield shaping can do....

I used to ride with an Airhawk seat pad all the time...but on my last trip I stored it. Rode my 1060 mile day without it and felt fine. The seat pad is nice on my arse, but the extra height pushes me up into the windstream/buffeting just a bit more, so it's a mixed bag.

Cakeeater
I got a 16" Cee Glide and it's just right. Seat height and the way the bars make you situp or slouch are about as important as how tall you are. I really like the Zeph seat. Aired down its' still not rock hard and it lowers the seat height about 1/2-3/4 inch. Pumped up it adds about 1". It also can push forward about 1/2 to 3/4". Inflates faster than it deflates, nice to massage a numb butt. I also have found a Mustang rider backrest much more comfortable than the HD model. Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #123
fxdlmarsh
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Nice report. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

I've been a life long sport bike owner. Been thinking about either a HD or maybe a BMW sport tourer.
I, to ride a 2012 roadglide ultra, Nice balance having the ultra, and GSA. my recomendations is if you don't want the hassel of BMW services . lean toward milwakee iron. you won't be dissapointed. and well be excited to join the family. I've owned many from 883R's to V rods, to my first touring. I, have no regrets. Goodluck, be safe.
fxdlmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #124
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpony View Post
I got a 16" Cee Glide and it's just right. Seat height and the way the bars make you situp or slouch are about as important as how tall you are. I really like the Zeph seat. Aired down its' still not rock hard and it lowers the seat height about 1/2-3/4 inch. Pumped up it adds about 1". It also can push forward about 1/2 to 3/4". Inflates faster than it deflates, nice to massage a numb butt. I also have found a Mustang rider backrest much more comfortable than the HD model. Mike
Thanks Fatpony.

I really like the HD backrest...like the adjustability on the fly and I do leg presses against it while I ride to straighten out my pins. It hasn't broken yet.

correction: I have a 16 inch windvest. I had read about ceebaily as well but decided on the windvest. The stock seat is fine, now, nothing to write home about (we all write home, right??), but it gets the job done on long rides. Someday I'll look at that Air zeph seat.

Cakeeater
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #125
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Resale

I'm the OP. Today I stopped by one of the big HD dealers in town for a thingamig.

Then I walked to the sales floor.

I noticed that they had not a single road glide on the floor -- and they have a lot of bikes for sale. Salesman told me "Road GLide Ultras are the hottest thing we have, period. They sell just as soon as we get 'em".

I asked what kind of discount they sell 'em at. He said msrp or maybe at most 500 bucks off msrp.

He also said my 2011 Ultra with 22,000 miles would sell in the neighborhood of msrp minus $4,000.. Since I got mine late in 2011 for a $3,000 discount, I'm pleased. Course, he might have been blowing smoke up me bunghole. Still, seems its a popular bike.

Cakeater
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #126
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
I'm the OP. Today I stopped by one of the big HD dealers in town for a thingamig.

Then I walked to the sales floor.

I noticed that they had not a single road glide on the floor -- and they have a lot of bikes for sale. Salesman told me "Road GLide Ultras are the hottest thing we have, period. They sell just as soon as we get 'em".

I asked what kind of discount they sell 'em at. He said msrp or maybe at most 500 bucks off msrp.

He also said my 2011 Ultra with 22,000 miles would sell in the neighborhood of msrp minus $4,000.. Since I got mine late in 2011 for a $3,000 discount, I'm pleased. Course, he might have been blowing smoke up me bunghole. Still, seems its a popular bike.

Cakeater
That's what I heard too, MSRP at best. The NEX military sales gave me a quote for a 2013 Road Glide that is $2145 below MSRP. I might be able to get a further discount if I ask them.

How about the extended warranty. That is about $1400. Is it worth it?

Also, are you looking through your wind screen when riding? How is it in the rain?

Thanks.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #127
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Someday I'll look at that Air zeph seat.
I've got the Sun-Ray seat on my RK. All day comfort and the heat really makes a difference on cold days, really warms the whole body.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #128
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Is that lever for a reverse gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I've got the Sun-Ray seat on my RK. All day comfort and the heat really makes a difference on cold days, really warms the whole body.

CharlieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #129
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFox View Post
Is that lever for a reverse gear?
Yeah, I have the Mamba reverse gear. Don't use it much solo unless the bike is fully loaded but it's very handy when riding two-up as the passenger floorboards restrict rider my foot movement (30" inseam). Also nice not having to worry about "parking smart" when pulling into a space.
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 AM   #130
Cakeeater OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
That's what I heard too, MSRP at best. The NEX military sales gave me a quote for a 2013 Road Glide that is $2145 below MSRP. I might be able to get a further discount if I ask them.

How about the extended warranty. That is about $1400. Is it worth it?

Also, are you looking through your wind screen when riding? How is it in the rain?

Thanks.

Don't have the extended warranty. Mine still has til next August on the two-year unlimited warranty. Haven't had any issues so far.

I do not look through the windshield. I look over it. Only time I duck under is to avoid birds....flying pebbles...whathaveyou.
I have a smoked 16 inch.

It is terrific in the rain. I stay almost completely dry if I got througha quick thunderstorm. Long steady all-day rains...different story.

Cakeeater
Old 08-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #131
Night Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post

There's a lot of smart farkles on that Road King
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #132
Night Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Glide vs King

Do how does the Road Glide compare to the Road King? Always liked the looks of the king, but the Glide has that terrific dash board
In town or on the highway, does one have a real advantage?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #133
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Ryder View Post
Do how does the Road Glide compare to the Road King? Always liked the looks of the king, but the Glide has that terrific dash board
Under the plastic they are the same bikes so it really boils down to personal preference regarding looks and whether you want a inboard stereo.

I chose the Road King because I wanted the option of being able to ride without a fairing in front of me in hot weather and around town. It does fine on the highway and there are a number of windshields available if the stock doesn't suit you. You can see from the pic that I've added fairing lowers and I also use National Cycle hand guards in cooler weather. Those plus the windshield and I've got all the wind protection I need.

The Road Glide's fairing is further away from the rider than the batwing is, so buffeting can be a problem for some riders. One guy, Marc Parnes, converted a Street Glide to a Road Glide. Pretty interesting thread and gives a lot of feedback about the two types of faired Harleys.
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...eet-glide.html

twinrider screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 10:48 PM
Old 08-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #134
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Ryder View Post
I've ridden a few RG and owned a RK and now have an Electra Glide the RK is closest to riding a naked bike with a windshield; the fairing protection from the EG is far superior to the RK IMHO and I imagine the RG is just as good or for what I've been told even better. The beauty of the RK for me was that it offerred more of a pure sense of riding having that big clear windshield up front (or none at all), with EG/RG it's more of a cockpit feeling and in that cockpit you have some nice things. I mainly use my bike for road trips so a EG or RG fits me better but I still think the RK is the best looking. The bikes all share the same frame but the experince when riding them all feel different.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 95k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #135
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
either or.....

I took four versions out for test rides at a local dealer. The Street Glide has really bad buffeting thanks to the short windshield and the shorter shocks makes the smallest bump too familiar.

The Electra Glide Ultra has really good wind control and is easier to ride than the weight would dictate. I found it as easy as the GL1800 Honda.

The Road Glide Ultra, same as the EG Ultra except the instruments were more distant but easily readable and the frame fixed fairing is better in very windy conditions.

The Road King is noticeably lighter with a lower center of gravity thanks to only a detachable windshield. The forward visibility for navigating campgrounds, parking lots, single track trails is really nice. I felt like I was on an easily manipulated machine, that I could easily make it do what I wanted it to do regardless of the conditions. Obviously it has less weather protection but when the weather turns nasty we still put on appropriate gear regardless of the ride. So that is a wash. As far as weight the Road King comes in 70 to 80 pounds less than Ultras or Classics. At 810 or so it is not light but I've picked one up off the engine guards and I found it easier than I anticipated. Even if I were to carry a passenger I prefer the Road King with the detachable trunk/backrest. Solo, I can travel very light and with only a dry bag for the tent and bag. The only thing I do not like is the hideous fender trim.