Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
leo_jb
-

Oddometer: 117
I just fitted a set of the same KTM heated grips on my 2011 990 Adventure. First time I tried it I got no indicator lights at all, but the grips were working. I unplugged all the connections, tried a second time, and everything worked fine. Not sure why it worked the second time, but I'm pretty sure I had the connections correct. Maybe one of the connectors wasn't making good contact?
leo_jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #17
howl
990 Adventure

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster View Post
My Syntec (Heat Demons) heated grips have worked great over the years http://www.heatdemons.com/External-H...MTRR_p_36.html
We have these on all our bikes ,only two heat settings but that is all you need realy. The flat element sheet wraps around your bar so you can use any grip you want.There is room on the dash for the switch too.
howl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #18
Pepperjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Update 24OCT

I took it back to peter stevens.. said, keep the bike for a few days and get it right. I think they did a bit of swapping around etc but as of today they are working very well. I've ridden with them a fair few times now and I think given them plenty of chances to fail.. but they seem to still be going well.

For some reason the very first time I switched them on.. regardless of the setting(even 1 light) they were sooo hot I had to toggle on/off/on/off .. but now they seem to be playing ball - level 1 or 2 seems to do the trick but I am wearing thin gloves and it's not that cold.!

keeping my fingers crossed..
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Pepperjack OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
For the benefit of those watching this thread..so far I'm happy to say they seem to work very well. Admittedly its the warmer months but I never have the on more than 2/4 ..often only 1/4.

They seem to have :personality: or you might say a mind of their own..let me explain..when you turn them on, its as if they go to 4/4 heat..and then after a bit they settle to what you asked for 1/4,2/4 etc..when they do this they still only indicate what you have asked for but the heat, id swear they're on full heat. They're clearly controlled by a microprocessor ...so perhaps they decided to give a few minute, says 5, burst then settle to the desired setting.

So...to days, after my initial challenges, I am very happy. Haven't trail tested them yet, only sealed roads.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
Rides : '14 BMW R1200GSA
Pepperjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
While I've had stable behaviour with a previous set, the most recent set that I just put on my 690 is acting up.

Sometimes it (the single button controller) repeatedly flashes with all 4 lights illuminated, at which point I have to shut it off (hold button on for approx 3 secs). Then I press the button again (hold for approx 3 secs) to turn them on, and they're fine, allowing me to select any of the modes (1/green, the least amount of heat, 2/yellow, the next level up, etc...).

I've also had them shut off on their own, ie: if I'm riding away while on #2 (nice toasty setting), I'll slowly notice my hands getting chilled, look down and notice it's turned itself off !

I've actually got a spare kit, and am going to try the controller from the other kit to see if thats whats defective....
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by offworlder View Post
While I've had stable behaviour with a previous set, the most recent set that I just put on my 690 is acting up.

Sometimes it (the single button controller) repeatedly flashes with all 4 lights illuminated, at which point I have to shut it off (hold button on for approx 3 secs). Then I press the button again (hold for approx 3 secs) to turn them on, and they're fine, allowing me to select any of the modes (1/green, the least amount of heat, 2/yellow, the next level up, etc...).

I've also had them shut off on their own, ie: if I'm riding away while on #2 (nice toasty setting), I'll slowly notice my hands getting chilled, look down and notice it's turned itself off !

I've actually got a spare kit, and am going to try the controller from the other kit to see if thats whats defective....
I've just installed the KTM grips on my 690 and 990. Both bikes have G2 throttle tubes, so the right side was hard to install. I've had the 690 set turn off once or twice. Not sure what is causing that, but it's not low voltage (both bikes have Signal Dynamics volt meters). Overall, they seem to work well for me.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #22
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
HotGrips with Warm-N-Safe controller is the only way to go.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #23
Meersen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Had KTM grips put on by dealer this week--all lights worked-- I assumed all ok I turned it off since it was 85 degrees--Tucson-- rode up to Silver City this week in am turned on heaters-- lights on no heat-- called dealer and they would call me when new grips are in and will replace.
Meersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #24
Gila Monster
Carnivore

Oddometer: 117
I recently installed a set of $20 under grip heaters I got from Rocky Mountain ATV on my 990 ADV. They have a simple hi/lo toggle switch. I wrapped electrical tape under each to insulate them from the metal bar on the left and G2 throttle tube on the right. On top I put a pair of regular moto grips. Everything went on perfectly ( isopropyl alcohol as a lubricant) and the heaters work perfectly. So far I have ridden in temps around 30F with comfort in my regular gloves. I'm pretty happy with the whole process especially the price. I spent a lot of time researching grip heaters and finally decided to just go cheap and see what happens. So far so good.
2008 KTM 300 XCW
Gila Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #25
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 282
Warm-N-Safe Heat-troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
HotGrips with Warm-N-Safe controller is the only way to go.

ktm950se
Yup, Warm-N-Safe Heat-troller was the way to go for me.
KTM Hard parts switch was replaced with the Heat-troller installed to the right of the speedo (red arrow).

The Heat-troller wires are way too long for the 990 install and crowd the rear dash area so I shortened them a bunch. Lots of small wires = lots of soldering!

Also, that infernal blinking red LED was buried behind the dash where it couldn't be seen. Why anyone would put a blinking red LED on anything that didn't indicate and emergency is beyond me.

The controller wouldn't fit to the left of the speedo so I have to reach across to adjust the heat but it's not bad.

Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #26
Deepc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
heated grips

I just picked up a pair from black dog cycle works. They are under $40, an easy install, and you can use any grip you like. I prefer old school foam.
Deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
Pops of the desert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Throttle stop

anyone using heated grip with a throttle stop. Looking to purchase both.
Pops of the desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #28
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,162
950 Heated Grips

I put heated grips on my 950 and used KTM 950 Hall of Wisdom as a guide. I used the 3 way toggle and hooked it to a fuse block. (Same one on KTM HOW) It's a great set-up. I also have an aux plug and powered GPS mount. The AUX is constant on and everything else is key off.
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #29
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,162
Look There

http://www.ktm950.info/
04 KTM 950ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '13 KTM 300XCW, '08 KTM 450XCR-W (selling), Husky 360WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #30
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops of the desert View Post
anyone using heated grip with a throttle stop. Looking to purchase both.
I have the KTM heated grips on my 690 and 990. Each bike also has Kaoko speed control. I had to trim a little off the right grip because of the way the Kaoko interacts with the HDB hand guards (threaded inserts in the bar ends require that the Kaoko be modified so that it is tightened against the bar end and the usual spacer can't be used). The end result works as designed.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote