Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
You've tried both the Pivot and the SW Mototech?
Yes, I bought the SW Motech pegs first and did not like them. The pivot pegs are much nicer IMHO.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Does anyone have the Triumph pegs? Anything you can tell us about them? Pics would be useful to compare to the original pegs.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,628
Hey Doof, thanks for including pictures and links in this thread. It makes it much easier to get information.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,393
New Tiger XC advise on factory accessories / farkles...

I have been reading numerous threads on numerous forums about farkles for a Tiger 800XC. I am close to pulling the trigger on a new one and am looking for advice on which factory farkles are good and which are better going aftermarket. I hear you can sometimes negotiate a discount if ordered at the time of purchase or at least get free installation from dealer...

All of the information I've found has been spread out among threads dedicated to each farkle so I'm looking for everything in one concise list...

I am pretty sure I want the factory foglights and heated grips.

But what about the factory sump guard, engine protection bars, center stand, adjustable high screen, headlight guard, radiator guard, etc.

How do these stack up price and feature wise against after market options from touratec, sw-motech, and others?

Thanks!
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I'm sure you'll get lots of "advice" here - So prepare yourself. What works, for me anyway (NOTE - My tiger has taken a few 'naps' so have beta tested some of the protection items) : Triumph engine guards, heated grips, fog lights, centerstand, sumpguard (tho some claim inadequate oilfilter protection - I've not had any issues) headlight protector (tho they aint easy to clean behind) & tall windscreen (adequate for me & better than stock - tho I think Madstad or Palmer offers a bit more wind protection for taller folks) Summation - Triumph optional parts are well made & quite adequate - are they the "best"? Dont know - have no personal experience to compare to. I went with Touratech sidestand foot & radiator protection. When I got my 11' XC 18 mos ago - there simply wasnt much aftermarket available yet, so you may find many more options than I had to choose from. Do Overs: About the only thing I will change, is to aquire a Palmer screen & brackets - much more adjustable than Tiger tall screen. Was very pleased with Palmer set up on both My Uly & Girlie. Others claim Madstad is way to go - looks like a fine product - but I'll stay with what I KNOW works for me. Good luck sorting through the Emporium of options. Cheers, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Happy with the centerstand and the sump gaurd. Heated grips seem to be weak from what Ive read. Have no use for fog lights. Have a givi 6401dt on order for the screen.

edit, happy with the HT crash bars also.

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650

rustynut2 screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 10:49 AM
rustynut2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #22
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,332
i am a freak when it comes to finding the best gear. i research and research before i buy anything. also if i'm not happy i take it off and move on. i'm not going to talk about bags because there are so many different needs when it comes to that. obviously it's subjective so, here is my opinion with some pictures...

happy trails frame/ engine guards. very protective and tough. a bitch to install but worth the hassle. they protect the radiator. also the guys at happy trails are very nice.

triumph skid plate is only OK. i would stay away from anything with rivets. they are weak and will crumple. alt rider is probably the best skid plate out there. i will be replacing my triumph plate this summer with the alt rider. mine has been through hell and back. its all bent up. here is a pic from when it was in OK shape.

rigid industries are by far the best fog lights on the market. between the price and quality the rock. they are also very bright!!! i used the stock triumph fog light switch to control.

i chose to mount my gps to the touratech adjustable gps mount. its pricy but the value of having the gps high up and in good sight is important to me. pic above.

and XC anti vibe risers.

i obviously have more shit on my bike but the rest of the stuff isn't necessarily better than anything else. everything i've stated above is in my opinion, the best parts on the market...

fbj913 screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 11:50 AM
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,393
fbj913, I had not seen pics of the HT bars yet... Look like good protection, even if a little awkward looking.

What headlight guard do you have?
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
fbj913, I had not seen pics of the HT bars yet... Look like good protection, even if a little awkward looking.

What headlight guard do you have?
touratech headlight guard. i'm not a huge fan of it. the only reason i chose it is because it is a quick disconnect. it glares back at you a bit at night. i altered it with some tape as you can kind of see in the top corners...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
I have (on my Roadie though):

Triumph Engine Guards

As I have not dropped the bike yet, I don't know how well they work, but it looks like they would do the job for me. The Happy Trails are just too frigging massive, I don't like their looks.

Triumph Gel Seat

Didn't work for me, took it off and sold it. I'll be getting a Kahedo seat from Germany next year.

Triumph Heated Grips

Worth the money I guess, but I haven't installed mine yet. Living in California does have advantages ...

Fender Extender Front

Well worth it in my opinion. I just hate that manufacturers can't build proper fenders anymore because they build it for looks, not for function.

Bark Buster Storm Handguards

Don't even bother with the flimsy and small OEM handguards. Not worth the plastic they are made of.

Jesse Odyssey Luggage

Mixed bag. They aren't bad, but they aren't worth the money. They are better and bigger than the OEMs, but the mount is very likely not drop-proof, the powder coating is fairly soft and rubs off easily, the locks aren't even remotely safe. They aren't too wide (97cm with OEM exhaust), and offer a lot of space. The space in the lid is actually kind of handy for gear you normally don't need but want to keep at hand.

Next time I'd go with the Caribou. Not as nice looking, but way less expensive and more rugged.

Altrider Rear Rack

Works great for me with the Givi mounting hardware and a Givi topcase. I'll likely mount a Pelican sooner or later to carry our photo gear.

Traxxion AK-20 Front Suspension

For me: well worth it. Whether it's worth the very steep price for you, don't know. I love the new suspension and will do the rear in December when I'm back to riding. Rear will likely be a Penske setup to match the same riding style as the front.

XC Risers

Not for you as you have an XC, but a lot of people still add risers. I'll try and add additional 20mm risers soon, but I plain don't like the Rox double clamp concept.

Palmer Large Windshield

I liked the mounting much more than the Madstad, though I believe the Madstad is actually the more efficient windshield. The Palmer works great for me though, I might experiment with a little MRA clamp on spoiler but right now, haven't gotten that far.

Rear Hugger

I have one from Pyramid which first didn't fit properly, I made it work somehow, but then it broke. POS in my opinion. Bad mounting. I might try an R&G hugger at some point, though I think it's way too expensive for what it is.

What I did NOT do (and why):

- Additional lights: the Tiger has great headlights, no need for additional lights so far

- Bashplate: I don't ride the Tiger where I would need one.

- Headlight guard: makes no sense restricting the light output and then adding additional lights. I would use one if I rode lots of gravel roads though.

- Fancy GPS Mount: I use a simple RAM ball as one of the handlebar clamp bolts. Works great for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #26
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Man those happy trails bars are HUGE!!

All triumph parts on mine apart from sw motech gps mount. Nice mount but maybe a bit low and will block the speedo when i fit rox risers.

Fitted heated grips before i rode 6 hours to wales this month and my hands stayed warm, have had hotter grips in the past where i had to keep turning them off to cool down a bit :)
No issues with parts but bikes never been down yet

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #27
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I like HT stuff. Have their SU rack for my side cases. Those crash protection bars sure aint pretty - but can see their value for protecting all the parts, including turn signals. The Triumph bars, I think, are more aesthetically pleasing - but can tell you from experience - while they protect engine / trans just fine - but... if you have much forward speed on at "touch down" they do NOT protect radiator or turn signals. (BTW - turn signals are $50 ea)
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #28
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Are the OEM heated grips really worth it instead of aftermarket? They seem pretty pricey compared to what you'd find elsewhere.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #29
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
Are the OEM heated grips really worth it instead of aftermarket? They seem pretty pricey compared to what you'd find elsewhere.
I just got them to keep it tidy and there is a connector block under the tank for them.

There are cheaper and hotter grips out there

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,560
The triumph engine guards work, but I'll be adding the touratech upper bars. They sell them in black (part #420-5161). My only get-off was pretty violent & shifted the radiator enough to brake the mounting tab. I still need to get it welded. You can see the crack in this pic.

P.S. I wish Capitol Sports was located down here. Lucky bastard.