User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
SteveO OP
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,187
Cool2 Pro Moto Billet Kickstand UPgrade

The KTM kickstands leave a lot to be desired. They are held in place by a single bolt, which will fail and leave the rider without a kickstand.

I decided to "upgrade" to a Pro Moto Billet Kickstand. While the kickstand looks nice.....

there is a flaw with the design of this kickstand....at least, in my humble opinion, there is a flaw
The pin that holds the kickstand portion, holds the kickstand in place with a Snap-Ring. This Snap Ring is not very strong when leverage is placed on it during a dirt-nap.....

To remedy this engineering oversight, I created my own backing plate to replace the Pro Moto Billet "plastic" backing cover.

I cut a 3/16" steel plate to the size of the plastic cover.
I drilled a 3/8 hold in this plate that would allow a bolt to go through this plate.
I drilled out the kickstand leg to 1/2", and put a steel sleeve in it, in which the 3/8" bolt would slide through the steel sleeve.
Now, the kickstand leg is being supported by both sides of the kickstand body and a bolt that goes all the way through......instead of "Snap Ring" holding it all together.

This should last a lot longer now....

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:44 AM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
ThePod
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Awesome pics and write up.

I took your idea and ran with it. Did the same thing. Should hold up a lot better now.

Thanks for the pics
ThePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
SteveO OP
Huh???

Glad you like it. I've had ZERO issues with this modification. I was really disappointed with the design of the ProMoto Billet's snap-ring. During a crash that snap ring is all that is holding the pin in place. Not too well thought out. I suppose if you don't ever crash, on the left side, then, yeah, it'll save some weight, but come on, lets get real here.

I guess the engineers don't crash that often, and thus they don't need to have "RookieMoto" bullet-proof strength in their design......

Life is a mist in the wind, here today and gone tomorrow; know who you are and where you are going after you pass through death's door.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Tooltech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Is it strong enough?

I considered this side stand however, the manufacturer said it is NOT strong enough to use when mounting / dismounting off the foot peg.

My goal is to have a side stand able to support the rider's weight. I find it difficult to get on and off the KTM 500 EXC while a full 25L dry bag is strapped on the back of the saddle.

Does anyone know of a better side stand for the aforementioned purpose?
Tooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Great idea, but the bolt sticking out looks like torn flesh waiting to happen. I'd cut it down and put an acorn nut on it.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
I have a KTM 620 Adventurer (Think 640) Would this kickstand work on it? I hate the one I currently have. it has fallen over its stand more then once....
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
WVa Dualsport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooltech View Post
I considered this side stand however, the manufacturer said it is NOT strong enough to use when mounting / dismounting off the foot peg.

My goal is to have a side stand able to support the rider's weight. I find it difficult to get on and off the KTM 500 EXC while a full 25L dry bag is strapped on the back of the saddle.

Does anyone know of a better side stand for the aforementioned purpose?
No, this is about as good as it gets as far as KTM kickstands are concerned.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
SteveO OP
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Great idea, but the bolt sticking out looks like torn flesh waiting to happen. I'd cut it down and put an acorn nut on it.
Excellent idea, this winter I'll have to look into doing just that....

thanks

Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
SteveO OP
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
I have a KTM 620 Adventurer (Think 640) Would this kickstand work on it? I hate the one I currently have. it has fallen over its stand more then once....
I don't know if this particular model would work on your KTM 620. But, I would venture that Pro Moto has one for your bike, and you can then perform this upgrade to make it bullet proof.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
ThePod
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Here's my upgraded kickstand in action on my KTM 200EXC

and my friend liked the idea so much he did it for his YZ450

ThePod screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 08:04 PM
ThePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
SteveO OP
Huh???

Maybe Pro Moto Billet take a few notes from this thread and make a better kick stand.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
SteveO OP
Huh???

updated

Fixed the pics