Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #76
Slice
words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by are12c
I've been contemplating turning my C into a hack. Who did your conversion? Any and all details are greatly appreciated.

more pics please!!!!
Check out my post on Chromeheads at 1:11 PM.

"They've got roads there that make Deal's Gap look like a runway." —Buelligan1203 on Japan
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #77
atoms
drunk

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
When I first heard BMW might be bring out a cruiser, I envisioned a modernized /2. Boy- was I ever disappointed.

I think if they bring back anything, it should be a simple, straighforward, classic AND classy-looking standard that you don't need a ladder to sit on.
Maybe in the 750-850 size. And with a simple seat. The ergos of 70's and 80's Beemers were the best of any bike ever.

Now, they're too tall, too ugly, and too complicated, IMO.
Amen brother! It is deeply pathetic that third or forth on my list of dream bikes is a freakin' Ural.
atoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #78
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman
IOn topic--Why did beemer leave the US cruiser market? Why wont Honda or Yamaha enter the US adventure market?
Simple
Brand image and unit sales.
The BMW crusier was not a good seller. The image of the bike was not what BMW wanted.

Yamaha doesn't bring in a adventure touring bike because
really adventure touring bikes sell in such low numbers here that it's not worth it getting the bike past the government to get certified if your only going to sell 1500 units a year.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 AM   #79
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmrdad
Check out my post on Chromeheads at 1:11 PM.
In the FWIW Dept;
I don't know about newer models, but prior to 1970, BMW didn't clear-coat anything. And yes- pinstripes did wear off- especially where knees rubbed tanks. Here in Asheville, I would venture to say we have a local guy who is one of the best stripers there is. I always pay him more than he asks, too.

Most rigs have a slow-speed wobble that goes away when you hit 25 or 30 mph.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #80
madleemark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Looking at harleys falling sales and qiute a few rocket threes being shipped back to england from the usa, bmw maybe wise not making a new cruiser. The credit crunch or is the cruiser market full?
madleemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #81
Saber
slow

Oddometer: 100
The problem with the C is it is so damn comfortable on long rides.
I can put a 900 mile day on it with out thinking about pain in my knees or back.
It can't rip the twisties, like a sport-tourer, they came under powered, not enough gears, and after market parts availability sucks. Replacement parts are 3 times too high compared to other bike brands. Fuel tanks are too small, not enough range to be comfortable, I would prefer 300 miles minimum.
BMW choked down the throttle bodies, and screwed with the cam and computer to make a rolling tractor.

On the other side of the coin. They use many of the same mechanical parts as all the other BMW R models of that time period. I also can add a tour tank for range.
Adding a 6 speed was easy, changing the cams also easy. Finding a dual spark computer from one of those RT, GS for an 04, pain in ass.
BMW should have offered special order internals and the bike would have been one to contend with.
It also seems that the Japanese do understand the US market. They know that most cruiser riders want to make the bike their own through custom parts.
The Germans still want us to suck down what ever they throw at us and we "vill" like it. Idiots. Then when they fail again in a market, they fall back on the B. S. Claim, "it is a niche bike". Not that they screwed up again.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #82
nazdravanul
Big Bad Wolf

Oddometer: 119
My Montauk was an excellent motorcycle. If I had the money I'd buy it back in a second (as a second bike (:).
And I'm on my 3rd completely different beemer : 12RT, 12GSA and the aforementioned R 1200 C Montauk.
And believe me , I don't take them for garage queens : I ride them hard and long, in all weathers. And they all put a smile on my face.
nazdravanul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 AM   #83
blesk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
A couple of years ago I took an MSF ERC course. One of the participants was a fellow on a Chromehead. He let it be known that he also had a R1200RT at home as well was whatever Aprilla was selling for a sport tourer several years back (Futura??). As the day progressed he had a little problem with tight turns and had a difficult time U-turning that thing around without taking 30 feet to do it. At the end of the day he came up to me and said "your Honda ST1300 looks to handle well, too bad it sounds like a food processor". I replied, "I didn't know roads in Germany were that wide".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtQcmBE8xtE
Impressive turning skills in that video, but it does sound like a food processor
blesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #84
blesk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
Can't have a bagger without a big-ass front wheel. They should just skip the whole Boxer thing and give us what we really want ... the K1200C and CL.

A couple of weekends ago, crossing Texas, we hit a section of dirt. My friend says " oh you must have the K1300 O, the off road version."
blesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #85
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
The Germans still want us to suck down what ever they throw at us and we "vill" like it. Idiots. Then when they fail again in a market, they fall back on the B. S. Claim, "it is a niche bike". Not that they screwed up again.
Yep.

The C helped BMW realize they don't know shit about the American market and don't want to know anything about it.
They want to service the same customers in whatever location on earth they live, not expand to suit people who want a manufacturer to respond to them.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #86
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
"BMW R1200C, Why wasn't it replaced?"

Come on. I mean, is that even an honest question?

I was going to say "because they're one of the all time ugly bikes", but that would be mean.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #87
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yep.

The C helped BMW realize they don't know shit about the American market and don't want to know anything about it.
They want to service the same customers in whatever location on earth they live, not expand to suit people who want a manufacturer to respond to them.
Actually, cruisers dont' reflect the company's image in the least. BMW has long traded on horsepower, handling and sporting abilities.

Cruisers are exactly none of those.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #88
Josephvman OP
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Funny to see a thread I started years ago being resurrected here!

I disagree with you here. Historically, BMW has never been much of a leader in any performance category, whether horsepower, handling, etc. Their reputation was for well-built, reliable, and long-lasting lighweight sport-touring machines, with emphasis on the touring. With the exception of a few highlights in their history, like the R69S or R90S, they've hardly been taken seriously at all as a builder of performance sport motorcycles. You could really argue that the first true high-performance sportbike that BMW ever built was the current S1000RR. I have an HP2 Sport, and it's adequately fast, handles beautifully, and is a fantastic motorcycle, but except in the context of air-cooled boxer motors, it doesn't offer anything approaching world-class horsepower.

The R1200C had more in common with BMW /2's of the 50's and 60's than most anything else, and though it was labeled a cruiser, it was really more of a standard and modern interpretation of those earlier bikes than a true cruiser, which to me means american styled bikes by HD and their clones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
Actually, cruisers dont' reflect the company's image in the least. BMW has long traded on horsepower, handling and sporting abilities.

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #89
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post

So, there is no replacement for the chromehead.
BMW doesn't care and doesn't want to care about the largest segment of American motorcycle sales.

But I would differ with you on the description of BMW. They've long offered quirky so-so bikes for people who don't mind paying more for something that may or may not offer more.
Horsepower, handing, and sporting abilities apply to the 4 wheel division, but not so much to the 2 wheelers.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #90
Josephvman OP
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Their reputation was largely based on those /2 thru /7 bikes, and they were all well-built, quality machines that have stood the test of many decades, and the fact that the vast majority of those bikes are still serviceable motorcycles speaks to that. Based on my experience with newer bikes starting with the first oilheads in the early '90's, they're probably average motorcycles in terms of build quality and reliability, though above average in cost to maintain. Just my $.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
So, there is no replacement for the chromehead.
BMW doesn't care and doesn't want to care about the largest segment of American motorcycle sales.

But I would differ with you on the description of BMW. They've long offered quirky so-so bikes for people who don't mind paying more for something that may or may not offer more.
Horsepower, handing, and sporting abilities apply to the 4 wheel division, but not so much to the 2 wheelers.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote