Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
110Mike OP
Lug in my Kop

Oddometer: 98
Thanks

Thank for all the responses guys.

Think I will give them a pass as I have enough other vehicles requiring constant maintenance.

I like my Highway speed too.

Nice old school bikes though

Mike
110Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
Eamon Nordquist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110Mike View Post
Thank for all the responses guys.

Think I will give them a pass as I have enough other vehicles requiring constant maintenance.

I like my Highway speed too.

Nice old school bikes though

Mike
Note that the new Enfields ARE highway capable and are no more maintenance intensive than your typical new bike. My brother has one of the first ones with the new motor (2009 model) and in 10,000 miles he hasn't done anything but clean/adjust the chain and change the oil every couple thousand miles. I believe the fuel injection is by keihin, by the way, not indian made. I have a 2006 model with the old style motor, and it does require staying away from freeway speeds, needs the valves checked periodically, etc, but the new bikes are solid. Good dealer setup matters, and it is a big single, so you have to be ready with some loctite and watch for things coming loose during your shakedown period. If you're interested, you should really check one out. The new bikes have been around long enough now that they can occasionally be found used.

Eamon
Eamon Nordquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamon Nordquist View Post
I believe the fuel injection is by keihin, by the way, not indian made. I have a 2006 model with the old style motor, and it does require staying away from freeway speeds, needs the valves checked periodically, etc, but the new bikes are solid.

Eamon
Cool. I honestly haven't heard anything bad about the new fuel injection setup. The problem with my dad's Enfield is that the stuff developed in India just isn't very good. The engineering from the original design (which is most of the bike) is fine, but as I mentioned things like the electric starter are not up to par.
I haven't heard any horror stories from the new models, so I'm sure quality has come up quite a bit.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #19
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Testify

Caponerd (post #10) is right on the money, imho.
The new owner of Royal Enfield (Eicher) is working very hard to bring the brand up to western standards and with success. The new models (starting 2010) are a different ball game. It is unfair to ascribe issues of earlier models to them.

Let me introduce you to my 2010 Bullet Electra.
It is one year old with 10,000 miles on the clock. I ride it rain or shine, on whatever terrain.That's where they were built for. Endurobikes they are and grass, mud and gravel haven't changed in 60 years, afaik. I avoid highways but if the situation calls for it I'll take them. Can cruise at 70mph easily. Top speed 82mph is way more exhilarating than on a modern bike albeit not for the fainthearted. Anyway highways are boring.

Maintenance: I replaced the chain and put in a new airfilter.
Loose nuts and bolts: none.
Oil leaks: none.
Electronic Fuel Injection makes it basically maintenance free.
Still using the stock spark plug. Engine starts on first kick. Electric start is fine but is hardly used: way cooler to kickstart.

A few issues in the first months were promptly adressed. The motorcycles come with a full 2 year warranty, all included, no mileage limitations.

Had a rearwheel flat earlier this month. I pulled out the innertube, patched it up and was good to go. Some call it the AK47 of bikes: will work anytime, anywhere and in case of trouble solved on site. This has been my experience so far.
The Royal Enfield is not a modern bike with a vintage look as the Bonneville but a vintage bike fitted for modern time. But all things said and done it's up to you: if you like it you'll love it. I hope you like it.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
They seem very expensive for what you get.
I equate a TU250 as the same performance, but with the ability to run at top speed all day long without issues.
About $3000.00 for a low mile used TU.
I thought the Enfield was around $7000.00 or more...

The old ones were about 18 hp, the new ones seem to get up to 27.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,469
If you are thinking of buying an Enfield, then you don't weigh it up against anything modern, it is 1960's design, and that is how you must see it.

But they are great, and very capable bikes, as long as you keep in mind that they will need servicing, both at home and on the road. Ok they don't have loads of power, they are made for the little back lanes of life, but then where do you need to be in such a hurry anyway.

Of course you could go out and buy a used CB500 hit the electric start and cruise the freeway, but where is the adventure in that?

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #22
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
my dad has a proper 1960 britsh endfield i tihnk its a 750cc and it has a right foot gear shift he got the bike as the 2rd owner and had the bike from the mid 1960,s and is never going to sell it.

the new endfeild are fitted with a left foot shift.

i would love to buy an endfeild but i think i would have trouble with the right foot shifter and the left foot brake.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #23
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Some people ride Turdleys, too.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #24
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
I agree with most of the posts here.

I own an Enfield, I've got it for about 5-6 months now. It's a '76 350. It has some trouble keeping up with modern traffic, but I have an oldtimer license plate (different color over here), so people instantly recognize it as an oldtimer and so far I had no problems with impatient cars.

It does need more work than my BMW and CB7560, but for a '76 it's not that much more than you'd expect.

It's great fun to ride and really is a go-anywhere bike that feels best at home at forest trails and back roads. I can chose between a '88 R80 caferacer, a '72 CB750 K2 and the Enfield. I've done the most miles on the Enfield this year.

MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,468
my first bike was an Enfield in 1968. not sure what year the bike was built... it was supposed to be a 500 but I always suspected it was smaller (350?) anyway, it had electrical problems & would not charge, I wasn't near as good at fixin' stuff then as now so I just charged the battery every day & rode it a couple hours tops.

anyway, couple years ago I rode through India, Nepal & Bhutan on one. I was with a small group & my buddy's bike started hammering so....

time to change the crank bearing. well, the guys we were with had a spare along.... why? because it wasn't the first time that had to change one in a parking lot. turns out in India they have laws about importing stuff... it costs a lot. domestic stuff is cheap, so all the parts are local manufacture. granted this bike is the old design, but the new ones still have all home mfg parts. the bike above had 12,000 miles since new.

the good news... they had it apart & back together in about 2 hrs
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #26
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
my first bike was an Enfield in 1968. not sure what year the bike was built... it was supposed to be a 500 but I always suspected it was smaller (350?) anyway, it had electrical problems & would not charge, I wasn't near as good at fixin' stuff then as now so I just charged the battery every day & rode it a couple hours tops.

anyway, couple years ago I rode through India, Nepal & Bhutan on one. I was with a small group & my buddy's bike started hammering so....

time to change the crank bearing. well, the guys we were with had a spare along.... why? because it wasn't the first time that had to change one in a parking lot. turns out in India they have laws about importing stuff... it costs a lot. domestic stuff is cheap, so all the parts are local manufacture. granted this bike is the old design, but the new ones still have all home mfg parts. the bike above had 12,000 miles since new.

the good news... they had it apart & back together in about 2 hrs

Priceless. Haha.

They are a different experience. A tu-250 may have similar power, but its delivery is not like an enfield. It thumps right along at sane speeds. Especially with a larger front sprocket. Crack the throttle, and there is a phut....phut...phut..phut.phutphutphutphut. Idle is a nice low thump.

Especially with the pre unit engines, they really are a bike from the 50s. The tooling is from 1955. Keeping that in mind, they are truely fantastic bikes. They are a perfect sunday ride bike. If you don't need to be somewhere quick, they are just right. Cruise the twisties. 55-60 mph is very comfortable.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #27
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Hope this might be useful to someone

Ok, although this is more its natural habitat, for the sake of this thread -and to satisfy my own curiosity- I chose the highway today with a gps for correct data.

Sitrep:
Mods on the bike: technically none; large windscreen, heightened handle bars, front crash bar.
Distance to travel on highway: 41km (25M) in both directions.
Temperature 12C (53.6F); wind: 2 Beaufort; road surface dry.
On the way up headwind, so tailwind on the return trip.

GPS results:
the way there: average speed 120kph (74.6mph); maxspeed 129.3kph (80.3mph)
and back again: average speed 122kph (75.8mph); maxspeed 132.0kph (82.0mph).

Combining earlier experience with these figures I can now with confidence say that my comfort cruising speed on the highway is 68-72mph (ca115kph). The term comfort cruise meaning our centaurian combo can sustain it for as long as the tank will allow, which is 3hrs (350km/217M).
Not that that would be my route of choice, considering the fun one would be missing. I didn't take the blue pill for nothing.

Average mileage for the last 10,000 miles: 63.5mpg (us gallons; 27kpl). It is not uncommon to hit 70+, providing one can stay clear from dirt roads and traffic lights. The official EUR3 test figure is 28.2kpl (66.33mpg).

Power is 28bph@5250rpm (20.3kW)
Torque: 41.3Nm@4000rpm
Changing front sprocket will yield some power at a loss for torque. I prefer the torque for it's when the surface gets tough that the bullet comes in its element. One's got to let the horse do what it likes best.