Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
davidb21 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Is there any danger in getting close to redline?

I have a 04 klr 250, i get off work at around 1am and ive noticed my bike really loves the cold air at night so ive been racing around town a little before i get home each night...my redline is at 9.5k rpm and i'll regularly see that im doing 8k-9k in my 6th gear (only in 6th, i shift at around 7k in my other gears)

I never hold it at that high rpms for more than a minute or so but is there any danger in going that close to redline?
davidb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
buickid
Lets ride!

Oddometer: 310
No problem with running it through the gears and touching the redline or near there every once in a while. Holding it next to redline or at the limiter isn't so good, but nothing wrong with keeping the revs moderately up for power. Shoot, my CBR used to cruise the freeways at 7k all day long. With the previous owner's Yosh pipe, it was quite obnoxious.
If you're near redline in 6th, you might want to consider gearing up to bring the revs down a little.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,714
What Buickid said.

I get close to or hit redline all the time on my KLR650. But I try to keep the revs below 5,500 on the interstate. I put on a one tooth larger front sprocket.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,635
The only motorcycle that I ever cruised sustained right on Redline was powered by the BMW type 247 boxer air-cooled engine. BMW built engines capable of this.

Wouldn't try it with any lesser engines.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
The only motorcycle that I ever cruised sustained right on Redline was powered by the BMW type 247 boxer air-cooled engine. BMW built engines capable of this.

Yeah, Riiiight...

Any modern engine will run pretty close to all day long at near redline. Most, if not all, have limiters that kick in before any damage is done.

Of two current bikes:
R1200, I can't see running up against the redline because it just isn't necessary (although I have hit the limiter a time or two)
TW200, I run that little sucker flat out ALL the time with no ill effects.

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,027
It's fine with a few caveats:

Keep it maintained; keep the oil fresh, chain at the right spec, valves adjusted correctly, etc.

Don't go near redline or use heavy throttle until the bike has had adequate time to warm up! This varies from bike to bike, but you want the OIL to be warmed up -- not just the coolant (if applicable) Ride easy right after you get going and slowly ramp up the agressiveness.

Boucning off the rev limiter itself repeatedly puts huge stresses on all the engine components because either fuel or ignition is being cut to keep the engine from overrevving.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,867
Touching on what Buickid said. If your capable of hitting redline in 6th, that tells us that your bike has been geared up for tighter trail-off road type use. If your using it mainly for commuting duty, you could save on gas and general engine wear and tear by lowering the final ratio a bit.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,072
To me, one of the stupidest things ever is to put a tach on a small thumper or two stroke. I have no idea why the Japanese insist on adding one. It isn't exactly a superbike. It doesn't make enough power to hurt itself or you. So it doesn't need a tach.

None of my current thumpers have a tach and only one previous thumper had a tach. Therefore I have no idea what the red line is much less whether I ride at, near or over it. I shift when the power drops off or it quits reving the way God meant for us to ride.

If you are worried about reving a little one lunger, don't. Run it like you stole it. Rebuild the top end when it gets tired. Then run it hard some more. Seriously. Have fun. It is a motorcycle, right?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #9
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
To me, one of the stupidest things ever is to put a tach on a small thumper or two stroke. I have no idea why the Japanese insist on adding one. It isn't exactly a superbike. It doesn't make enough power to hurt itself or you. So it doesn't need a tach.

None of my current thumpers have a tach and only one previous thumper had a tach. So I have no idea what the red line is on any of my bikes much less whether I ride at, near or over it. I shift when the power drops off or it quits reving the way God meant for us to ride.

If you are worried about reving a little one lunger, don't. Run it like you stole it. Rebuild the top end when it gets tired. Then run it hard some more.
I know where redline is on my thumpers, it is quite easy to determine without a tach. It comes right before the waaah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah-bah sound.

Justin Barcia illustrates:

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,072
You have a point. I know where it is, too. I just don't know what rpm.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #11
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:

I spun a rod bearing on my old R90S doing just that, sustained high speed crossing the high desert in NM...German junk is so overrated!
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
A friend is rebuilding/upgrading his KLR250 with a 330 kit. The manufacturer of the 330 kit CLAIMS that the bottom end is good for about 14 grand. Take this with as many grains of salt as you wish, but it's a roller bearing bottom end and is pretty stout. It seems that the inherent weakness in the KLRs is the top end, and this appears to be borne out by many people's experience. My buddy rides at about 7 grand or higher everywhere. This, combined with an unscheduled dunk in a mud puddle led to the rebuild, but he put 20k very hard miles on the bike before it became an issue.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #13
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,976
No problem as long as it has adequate oil and is properly maintained. Redline is maximum safe operating RPM. It will wear faster but the amount is so small you'll never know it.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,229
Quote:

Comedy GOLD!! You sir know how to make subtle joke!

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Comedy GOLD!! You sir know how to make subtle joke!
Ohhh, NOW I get it! THAT's FUNNY!

Yes, he is a supergenius!
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote