Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #196
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
I'll ride Trials for as long as I can, no matter what happens.

You guys should realize that "No Stop" is not a new rule. I think the majority of Trials history was made under "no stop" rules.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #197
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,870
The Yourapeein economy is in a shambles and virtually the only ones selling many dirt bikes is KTM so let's throw a wet blanket on the top riders of the world and then run clubs with different rules. Just perfect, we could call it pee-wee trials.
The only problem is the pee-wees will be doing cooler stuff than the world class trials/enduro riders.

This direction has me bummed out.

Vintage trials on modern bikes. What a joke.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #198
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
No problem Brewtus.

The point I am trying to make is that I believe that the immediate goal of the FIM and the factories is to reduce what they spend on the World Championship. It's simple, by going to No Stop you reduce the number of support personal needed and team travel costs are reduced. The ratio now at the top level is about 3 support per each rider.

Okay, I can see that for every manufacturer except maybe Montesa. Keep in mind, I'm looking at this from the bottom of the Trials heap. Spectated for many years, competed with NMTA for 7 years, scored 4 Nationals over the same. Never seen a World Round (not yet anyway!! ). Reduction of Cost certainly makes sense for the stand-alone Trials factories.

Quote:
As for increased bike sales, put yourself in they factory owners position. As the sport has become more extreme their sales have gone down. They think they have a solution. It's their fortunes at risk. They know the history of the trials business. The trail is littered with closed factories.

Just my opinion.

Once again , a view from the bottom. The sport certainly has gotten more extreme, but the world's economy has also tanked. Did Trials get more extreme 4-5 years ago when the world economy took a dive, or was there a lag in between global economics and the World Trials skill level? I'm not talking at the club level (which has exploded in the past 3 years), nor any country's National level, the World stage. NMTA's rider and attendance have nose-dived since America's economy tanked 4 years ago, and I cannot for the life of me see how a NS rule would increase it by any amount. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would like to think that the FIM is not looking at this with blinders on. No one, NO ONE has the budget that they did in 2008. Hell, Spain's economy is still in the turlet with what, almost a 25% unemployment rate? How do you fill a World Trial in Spain with a NS rule when people over there are living in their cars? I just don't see it.

Alright, rant over. Once again, no offense intended nor implied. Methinks I'll go prep our 2 Montesas for a fun practice day tomorrow, and maybe pay some attention to my orphaned 314 Montesa. Trials first, I'll pay the electric bill next month.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #199
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
Just what I need! Another way to get a 5!
No Niel, it has been very hard to get a 5. When you can stop with your foot implanted in mother earth you are not riding!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #200
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I'll ride Trials for as long as I can, no matter what happens.

You guys should realize that "No Stop" is not a new rule. I think the majority of Trials history was made under "no stop" rules.
All while wearing funny hats and on twin shock bikes.

Most of history is usually in the past.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #201
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=brewtus;20016623]Okay, May be I`ll look at why the spanish factories tanked before!
Lineaway is just helping the new guys to understand the history here.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #202
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Okay, I can see that for every manufacturer except maybe Montesa. Keep in mind, I'm looking at this from the bottom of the Trials heap. Spectated for many years, competed with NMTA for 7 years, scored 4 Nationals over the same. Never seen a World Round (not yet anyway!! ). Reduction of Cost certainly makes sense for the stand-alone Trials factories.

Once again , a view from the bottom. The sport certainly has gotten more extreme, but the world's economy has also tanked. Did Trials get more extreme 4-5 years ago when the world economy took a dive, or was there a lag in between global economics and the World Trials skill level? I'm not talking at the club level (which has exploded in the past 3 years), nor any country's National level, the World stage. NMTA's rider and attendance have nose-dived since America's economy tanked 4 years ago, and I cannot for the life of me see how a NS rule would increase it by any amount. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I would like to think that the FIM is not looking at this with blinders on. No one, NO ONE has the budget that they did in 2008. Hell, Spain's economy is still in the turlet with what, almost a 25% unemployment rate? How do you fill a World Trial in Spain with a NS rule when people over there are living in their cars? I just don't see it.

Alright, rant over. Once again, no offense intended nor implied. Methinks I'll go prep our 2 Montesas for a fun practice day tomorrow, and maybe pay some attention to my orphaned 314 Montesa. Trials first, I'll pay the electric bill next month.
You are right, the world economy is a big factor in this. All the more reason to reduce costs. If you did a financial analysis on the trials business you'd realize that any sane person would stay stay far far away from it. Spain used to be #1 in trials bike sales...now they aren't even in the top 5.

Don't assume that Montesa has access to unlimited Honda $$. They have a tight budget and they are for this just like the other factories. All the factories have signed on.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #203
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Oh stop it!!

Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln who once said "90% of what you read on the Internet is not true."?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #204
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
All while wearing funny hats and on twin shock bikes.

Now buddy, we can always get the rebel Lance to go along with the rules from `94 and you can really learn to cross train!
Ps, No stop or not, you need to see a world round in person to believe it!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #205
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Oh stop it!!

Wasn't it Abraham Lincoln who once said "90% of what you read on the Internet is not true."?
No, that was Einstein. Lincoln said "Beware quotes on the internet attributed to me."
UnsureFooting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #206
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
No Niel, it has been very hard to get a 5. When you can stop with your foot implanted in mother earth you are not riding!
Agree! . Balance and bounce all that you want, but if while doing that, your foot comes down, it should be more than a dinky "one"". Oh well, the FIM has spoken, we just need to accept that the rules will be all over the place for a long time.

I miss MX. The gate dropped and the first one over the finish line won. Not a lot of behavior rules there. I know.......trials is not a race and we are supposed to be civilized.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #207
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Lineaway is just helping the new guys to understand the history here.
Key word: H-I-S-T-O-R-Y!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #208
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Now buddy, we can always get the rebel Lance to go along with the rules from `94 and you can really learn to cross train! .
Trials guys will be riding extreme enduros to cross train!

In fact, trials is losing riders at an alarming rate to extreme enduro and enduro-cross already. This new rule will make the transition more seamless for them!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #209
lineaway OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Key word: H-I-S-T-O-R-Y!
Oh come on Curtis, I had my little boy skip your class. But I could have him back down to show you how to hop . But then we`ll just have a rule change again!!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #210
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Don't assume that Montesa has access to unlimited Honda $$. They have a tight budget and they are for this just like the other factories. All the factories have signed on.
Oh believe me, I get it. If HRC/Montesa Trial goes through a long stretch of losses on both the win and sales catagories, Ma Honda will shelve 'em. All I was trying to point out is that GasGas, Sherco, Beta, OSSA, et. al. do not have Automobile, Motorcycle, Engineering Services (HRC), and Aircraft subsidiaries to gain knowledge, support (and maybe a wee bit of cash from Accord and CBR sales) from. Everyone has their budgets. It's just not as lavish as it once was, nor as lavish as HRC's is.