Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #31
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

Yamaha has the issue of being not fancy at all sometimes to the point of being ridiculous (hand warmer controls).
Sorry but you obviously haven't noticed that the "steam punk" trend is very fashionable lately.

Anyway, I thought the ABS/UBS, TC and SYMMETRICAL FRIGGEN Headlights and no stoopid beak were a nice touch. All standard at the same price point as the unobtainable standard GS.

But I do agree that the YAMAHA was designed with a few things and the accessories were "sourced" where the BMW aims for the $50,000 price points and leaves things out as you go "down" the price points.

Just my opinion of course.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 08:36 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Sorry but you obviously haven't noticed that the "steam punk" trend is very fashionable lately.
Ah, but that's only for Tenere owners that previously had a KLR ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Ah, but that's only for Tenere owners that previously had a KLR ...
I suppose that's why I never bought them

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #34
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
The F800 is better in the dirt. Hands down. Ridden both and they are very different. Both are good bikes however.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #35
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Looking for an update on this thread. If both bikes are near the same price which bike should I be spending my money on? Commuter sight see er with two up on occasion?
If you are a "Commuter sight see er with two up on occasion" I would say without a doubt the Super Tenere. I liked that bike better than any other big bike I have had. I had two F800gs and they just don't compare. The Super Tenere outshined that bike in every way. I know for sure it is faster, smoother, more stable, the traction control was better, the ABS was better, I loved the bike on mild off-road. I can't think of a way that it failed to the GS in any other way than fuel economy. Buy the Super Tenere. Yamaha of Southern IL has my old one for 11,000 I think.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #36
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Thanks all for the advice.
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #37
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
If you are a "Commuter sight see er with two up on occasion" I would say without a doubt the Super Tenere. I liked that bike better than any other big bike I have had. I had two F800gs and they just don't compare. The Super Tenere outshined that bike in every way. I know for sure it is faster, smoother, more stable, the traction control was better, the ABS was better, I loved the bike on mild off-road. I can't think of a way that it failed to the GS in any other way than fuel economy. Buy the Super Tenere. Yamaha of Southern IL has my old one for 11,000 I think.
+1
As a commuter, sight see'r, occasional distance rider, and regular 2-ups, the Tenere on Heidenau K60 tires is hard to beat. And for all of those, I have ZERO interest in going back to a chain.

For more dirt in the mix and more mud, the Triumph would be great.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #38
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
+1
As a commuter, sight see'r, occasional distance rider, and regular 2-ups, the Tenere on Heidenau K60 tires is hard to beat. And for all of those, I have ZERO interest in going back to a chain.

For more dirt in the mix and more mud, the Triumph would be great.
Does the fact that I have no desire to ever muck with a chain on any motorcycle ever again make me old?
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #39
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Does the fact that I have no desire to ever muck with a chain on any motorcycle ever again make me old?
No. Just shows you have gained wisdom.

That being said wisdom comes with age so yes, you are an old fossil. Sorry.
Just that misery loves company.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #40
cug
--

Quote:
Nope, it just makes you lazy. But I can sooooo feel with you. I'm even contemplating converting my Tiger to belt. Stupid idea, I know, but I like the Tiger, and a belt would make it better ...
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #41
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
Quote:
Not really. But you must take into consideration the fact that chain drives are the best drives available on bikes.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #42
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Not really. But you must take into consideration the fact that chain drives are the best drives available on bikes.
Define 'best'.

This is my first shaft drive, but I have not found any negative to it thus far versus a chain.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #43
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
And why would that be? They are a pain in the ass to maintain, have sometimes weird and unexpected failures that result in holes in the crank case / engine case, if they fall apart it's always somewhere where you can't get a replacement or the frigging Triumph dealer won't ship to you because you're in the middle of Mongolia or so, they look great for 10k miles and then suddenly fail within another 1k (actual numbers pulled out of thin air, for me chains were great for LONG time, then suddenly deteriorated very quickly), are messy, need lubing in normal times but as soon as it gets sandy or dusty, you really don't want any lube on them, and so on.

Chains are a relict of shitty end user technology, just because they are cheap, halfway light, and transfer power pretty efficiently. That doesn't make them "the best drive". It just makes them not go away, which they should have 30 years ago for normal street motorcycles outside the Race Replica and the < 500cc class. A standard swingarm with a shaft isn't that much heavier or more expensive than a swingarm with a chain, you don't loose much power (And who the hell cares for the 2 or 3 HP outside the race track?) and the convenience is just unbelievable compared to a chain.

Just my 2c of course ...
Old 11-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #44
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,063
Quote:
And why would that be? They are a pain in the ass to maintain, have sometimes weird and unexpected failures that result in holes in the crank case / engine case, if they fall apart it's always somewhere where you can't get a replacement or the frigging Triumph dealer won't ship to you because you're in the middle of Mongolia or so, they look great for 10k miles and then suddenly fail within another 1k (actual numbers pulled out of thin air, for me chains were great for LONG time, then suddenly deteriorated very quickly), are messy, need lubing in normal times but as soon as it gets sandy or dusty, you really don't want any lube on them, and so on.

Chains are a relict of shitty end user technology, just because they are cheap, halfway light, and transfer power pretty efficiently. That doesn't make them "the best drive". It just makes them not go away, which they should have 30 years ago for normal street motorcycles outside the Race Replica and the < 500cc class. A standard swingarm with a shaft isn't that much heavier or more expensive than a swingarm with a chain, you don't loose much power (And who the hell cares for the 2 or 3 HP outside the race track?) and the convenience is just unbelievable compared to a chain.

Just my 2c of course ...
What are you down to now? About 2 more weeks of couch time?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #45
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
What are you down to now? About 2 more weeks of couch time?
Argl ... four more weeks to the first careful ride. Was sitting on the Tiger a few minutes ago, just feeling it ... my wife is out for a ride to keep her bike running and I'm sitting here, staring holes in the screen.

But this topic (chains) is something I really, really despise. Chains on "normal street and dual sport bikes" are a relict of the old, dark ages where they couldn't build a proper working shaft drive that wouldn't kick you in the ass when accelerating. Chains on bigger bikes should have been dead for decades now.

I can barely accept a chain on a bicycle, I hate them on my motorcycle. If there was a kit for my Tiger to convert to a belt, I'd install it! Yes, I hate chains that much!

But being forced to not ride for 10 weeks doesn't make it better, either ...