Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #91
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 936
Hey Surface users

any experience with note taking and handwriting recognition. I have considered one so I can take notes and then photographs on jobsites then integrate them together via a handwriting recognition package. How is onenote working on it, I hear that can do some neat things.

Gary
Kayakgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #92
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Yes, I have a Bamboo Tablet Pen. Handwriting works great. The RT doesnt have a pressure sensitive Wacom Digitizer like the future Pro one, but for writing it works awesome.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #93
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
You just need a live id to check out the store.

https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?lic=1

You don't have to setup a new email address or so. Just use your existing one. takes a minute.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #94
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
12,980 of those apps are different versions of Angry Birds.

Beats 100,000 Fart apps
~DC~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #95
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakgk View Post
any experience with note taking and handwriting recognition. I have considered one so I can take notes and then photographs on jobsites then integrate them together via a handwriting recognition package. How is onenote working on it, I hear that can do some neat things.

Gary
The surface RT uses a digitizer with similar performance as the Andriod and iPad tablets. Writing is not a precise endeavor. The pressure area (tip) is too large for me to be able to use it as a true notebook.

The pro version with the Wacom digitizer will be capable of finer input that is more conducive to handwriting.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #96
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the headups up

on the surface, I am going to try to get to a microsoft store and play with one. And I am going to try and play with a Samsung also. I am encouraged by how tough the surface seems to be.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #97
Mr. Fisherman
Wishin not fishin.

Oddometer: 10,571
I am trying to hold out for the Pro.
I went to the store and played with a few. The touch cover is nice and the type cover is great though I am not fond of the felt on either of the black keyboard offerings.

If it had been able to run Java aps I would have to have had one.

In talking about the Pro model with the reps discussed the ability of the pro to be able to install some legacy windows programs. It lead me to believe some software will not work with it... bummer.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch and this thing rocks. I won't have a problem waiting for the Pro now
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #98
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakgk View Post
on the surface, I am going to try to get to a microsoft store and play with one. And I am going to try and play with a Samsung also. I am encouraged by how tough the surface seems to be.
With a previous employer, I had a convertible tablet from HP that I loved. My current employer does not provide tablets. I miss the electronic note taking.

I tried using an iPad and a Motorola Xoom for note taking and it just wasn't a pleasant experience. The digitizer is just not precise enough and I needed to hover my hand to keep from doing inadvertent motions. That was the case with both. I have purchased every note taking app available for iPad and nothing works like my old convertible with a pen input.

I am waiting for the Pro. From what I understand, when the pen is in the holder, you can use your fingers and multitouch. Pull out the pen and that is the only input device. No hand rest issues.

OneNote is a killer app. I am currently using it with a keyboard. However that creates issues with typing noises and the upright monitor is a barrier to conversation and negates effective body language when interviewing.

Btw, this is coming from an Apple guy. This would replace my personal iPad and MacBook.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #99
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

I was hoping the pro and the surface Rt

would be released at the same time, but I was also hoping the Ktm freeride would be available in the states by this time also, so I am 0 for 2, only slightly worse than detroits batting avg in the world series. Oh the artist, a great film is on netflix instawatch, so is lockout, a not so great film.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #100
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
Quote:
I tried using an iPad and a Motorola Xoom for note taking and it just wasn't a pleasant experience. The digitizer is just not precise enough and I needed to hover my hand to keep from doing inadvertent motions.
The Samsung galaxy note series is supposed to have a nice digitizer. I need to go check that out, and the pro, when available...
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #101
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
The Samsung galaxy note series is supposed to have a nice digitizer. I need to go check that out, and the pro, when available...
Without getting into a pissing contest, I really do not like what Samsung does to Android. That is really bad when I don't really like Android to begin with.

If you haven't used OneNote on a pen-enabled tablet, you should. It is a revelation. Since the Pro will run full Windows, I can also do e-signatures in Acrobat, redline Word documents, use macros in Excel, and all the other functionality I have already compromised out of my iPad.

The only competitor to the Surface Pro, in my mind, is probably the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2. Down on power and screen quality from the Surface Pro but also down on price. I also get a significant discount through my employer.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #102
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921
Quote:
Without getting into a pissing contest, I really do not like what Samsung does to Android. That is really bad when I don't really like Android to begin with.

If you haven't used OneNote on a pen-enabled tablet, you should. It is a revelation. Since the Pro will run full Windows, I can also do e-signatures in Acrobat, redline Word documents, use macros in Excel, and all the other functionality I have already compromised out of my iPad.

The only competitor to the Surface Pro, in my mind, is probably the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2. Down on power and screen quality from the Surface Pro but also down on price. I also get a significant discount through my employer.
Ok, you only mentioned the digitizer though. ;)

(You can also do esignatures on PDFs in android and red line word docs, btw).
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #103
Kayakgk
Studly Adventurer

As far as I can figure it comes down to

research and playing with different units. Youtube has some neat videos about notetaking on tablets and on 'one note'. Thanks for the all the info. I will be near a microsoft store at the end of the month and play with a surface. I will let you know what I think in a few weeks.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #104
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,772
The only reason I'm waiting for the pro is to be able to run Basecamp. The RT sounds great for travel but the ability to use BC on the road is a real plus. Any work a rounds to use your Garmin on an RT??

I'll wait for the pro to see it but an 11" ultrabook with win8 is probably how I'll go.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #105
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
Ok, you only mentioned the digitizer though. ;)

(You can also do esignatures on PDFs in android and red line word docs, btw).
Stop trying to pimp Android, pimp. Nobody wants your Ginger Beans and Jelly Bread here. Take it to a different thread; a thread filled with hipster contrarians and fat, old people with delusions of trendy fadness.

(And, NO, Android does not redline nor do esigs with my client's RFx systems. At least not consistently enough to rely upon.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
The only reason I'm waiting for the pro is to be able to run Basecamp.
This is one more. Ugh. Basecamp. WTF haven't they come up with an app yet?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: