Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #46
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,212
Heard too many bad things about factory boxes. I'm sure I'll choose some down the road.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #47
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Heard too many bad things about factory boxes. I'm sure I'll choose some down the road.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Check out Holan Boxes they have a new distributor and can get a set for 825 during a limited group buy here on advrider.

Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #48
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Well, here she is:

factory farkles on order. Will take it back next week when stuff comes in..
Sweeeet! Nice color.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #49
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
I would pass on every Triumph option with exception of the center stand, heated grips, and the aux lights. Aftermarket offers better products in luggage, crash bars, sump guards, etc. Just my two cents.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #50
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,212
Offroad i like soft bags (leg savers) but commuting to work and traveling I like a water proof and lockable bag... I really liked the H&B Gobi cases that I let go with my Wee last night... I think I'd like a set of the dark gray KTm style, just without the KTM logo...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #51
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I would pass on every Triumph option with exception of the center stand, heated grips, and the aux lights. Aftermarket offers better products in luggage, crash bars, sump guards, etc. Just my two cents.
The only sump guard better than the Triumph Sump Guard is the Altrider plate and its twice as much. The Touratech guard and SW Motortech guards are garbage. They look like crap on the bike and are made with rivets. The Altrider guard is good quality looks good on the bike but cost twice as much. The SWmototech guard especially looks out of place on the bike.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #52
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
The only sump guard better than the Triumph Sump Guard is the Altrider plate and its twice as much. The Touratech guard and SW Motortech guards are garbage. They look like crap on the bike and are made with rivets. The Altrider guard is good quality looks good on the bike but cost twice as much. The SWmototech guard especially looks out of place on the bike.
Yep. The Altrider is the ticket for me. It's the last farkle on my list to get. I have done everything else but the sump. At $300 it is quite pricey but it protects better than all of the others.
The OEM sump guard does not protect the oil filter. And the Touratech oil filter guard is better than no guard at all but still leaves the filter exposed in a few places.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #53
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Quote:
Yep. The Altrider is the ticket for me. It's the last farkle on my list to get. I have done everything else but the sump. At $300 it is quite pricey but it protects better than all of the others.
The OEM sump guard does not protect the oil filter. And the Touratech oil filter guard is better than no guard at all but still leaves the filter exposed in a few places.
A filter guard is only 30 bucks and still much cheaper than Altrider but the Altrider guard is very cool. Make sure you can get the oil filter off without having to remove the sump guard/skid plate, Changing oil on the bike is a breeze with the Triumph guard. You don't want to turn a simple 15 minute procedure into something more complicated,

http://store.proitalia.com/triumph-t...-p-160077.html

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 12:12 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #54
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
A filter guard is only 30 bucks and still much cheaper than Altrider but the Altrider guard is very cool. Make sure you can get the oil filter off without having to remove the sump guard/skid plate, Changing oil on the bike is a breeze with the Triumph guard. You don't want to turn a simple 15 minute procedure into something more complicated,

http://store.proitalia.com/triumph-t...-p-160077.html
I really can't see it obstructing the oil filter change due to it reaching in front of the headers. That's the other plus, it also protects the header cluster. It like 3 guards in one.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #55
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
I repaired too many bent aftermarket crash bars to agree that there are better crash bars than original Triumph + touratech tank bars. Despite I had grief with not fitting Touratech bars - but they sorted it for me.
Every other crash bar I see on marked are typical approach of mounting massive bars to/using questionable mounts and lot of console type of attachment.
Some of them even crash engine cases by bending...I think it was SW motech or something that someone had this happen with.

Triumph bars are sort sturdy set that have a lots of attachment points and will protect motor perfectly. Touratech tank bars will take care of rest.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #56
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
I repaired too many bent aftermarket crash bars to agree that there are better crash bars than original Triumph + touratech tank bars. Despite I had grief with not fitting Touratech bars - but they sorted it for me.
Every other crash bar I see on marked are typical approach of mounting massive bars to/using questionable mounts and lot of console type of attachment.
Some of them even crash engine cases by bending...I think it was SW motech or something that someone had this happen with.

Triumph bars are sort sturdy set that have a lots of attachment points and will protect motor perfectly. Touratech tank bars will take care of rest.
I would like a pic of the Triumph crash bars with Touratech upper crash bars. Just to see if it looks natural or awkward. The happy trails bars look dorky in my opinion but the Holan crash bars match the bikes contours and look more natural I think its important that a farkle match the bikes styling and does not look like an after thought slapped on. The Holan Crash bars are 250 bucks. The Touratech upper crash bar is 200 bucks.
Holan Crash Cars

Touratech upper crash bars

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 04:36 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #57
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Quote:
I really can't see it obstructing the oil filter change due to it reaching in front of the headers. That's the other plus, it also protects the header cluster. It like 3 guards in one.
Make sure it has a drilled hole for the oil plug so you can drain the oil without removing the plate. It probably does but I'd check.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #58
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post

The SW Motech crash bars use the same mounting system as the OEM at several points. The OEM gives absolutely zero protection for the radiator and tank. If you are repairing bikes with bent crash bars then they did their job. That kinda goes without saying. If the engine cases were cracked by the crash bars then the same would have happened with the OEM and maybe worse due to other aftermarket bars displacing the force over a greater area.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #59
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

A nice fairly cheap piece of metal is the Triumph radiator guard. It goes for about 70 bucks. It also looks good and goes with the over all design of the bike.

How it looks on my bike.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #60
Xcountry-Rider OP
Banned

Quote:
The SW Motech crash bars use the same mounting system as the OEM at several points. The OEM gives absolutely zero protection for the radiator and tank. If you are repairing bikes with bent crash bars then they did their job. That kinda goes without saying. If the engine cases were cracked by the crash bars then the same would have happened with the OEM and maybe worse due to other aftermarket bars displacing the force over a greater area.
I know of the incident hes talking about it wasn't the SW Mototech crash bars but the Hepco and Becker bars.