Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #31441
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
Battery was dead. Charged it, started the bike, and the speedo was registering 3 or 4x my actual speed. (And, yes, the odometer clocking along merrily with it)...
You probably checked, but just in case, you're sure it didn't just reset to km/hr? (I realize that wouldn't be 3-4X, but I got surprised once when I accidentally set it to read km instead of miles)

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #31442
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
I tried searching the thread, but to no avail, so thought I'd ask.

Have a 2008 WR250X. Love the thing; keep intending to buy dirt wheels and make it a semi-R, but money keeps getting in the way.

I've been having a coupleof battery issues lately -- I suspect the battery is weak after the second time it dropped. Didn't think it was a huge issue, until this last time.

Battery was dead. Charged it, started the bike, and the speedo was registering 3 or 4x my actual speed. (And, yes, the odometer clocking along merrily with it). Figured it had to be electrical, but decided to drop the battery 'just in case' it'd magically fix it, but to no avail.

A quick google sees Internet evidence that this is not 'uncommon' (Couple of posters over on wr250forum, at least). Consistent low voltage to the gauge will, maybe, break it and cause this speedo error. The fix -- replace the gauge cluster . Called the local dealer, but they didn't have any idea short of 'replace the battery and bring it to us to run thru' the service manual'. That sounds expensive to me, and if it's just going to end up with buying a new gauge cluster, then I guess I'd rather start with that.

Before I go out and order a new cluster:
Has anyone here seen this?
Any suggestions on anything else to try before I just bite the bullet?

And, if I do have to order the cluster. where's the cheapest place?
This problem has been reported on the WR site (I saw your post). It appears that the problem occurs when the battery is drained while the key is on. If you pull up, turn the bike off with the kill switch, forget to turn the key off, and run the battery down while the key is on it FUBARS the head unit. I have seen a couple for sale on ebay, but I don't think there is any way to repair one once it screws up.

I don't know what the adjustment ranges is on one of these, but maybe????......................................... .............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SpeedoDRD-Y1...906bb8&vxp=mtr

KansasBob screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 04:21 PM
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #31443
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hi I've had one on order since sept 2nd safari tank that is and they gave me that same line Oct 24th when I posted on there vendors thread on here. I hope it is this coming week I'm gonna call them and given hell. It shouldn't take 2 months to get small parts shipped from alstralia.
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #31444
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Those stainless steel bolts are OK (pricey), but my solution to finding longer good quality flange head metric bolts is my local Honda car dealership's parts department.

The local Ace Hardware has metric flange bolts but they are generic Chinese crap with poorly made threads and rough finishes--not something I trust to hold critical loads or look at and feel like ...

Turns out Honda's parts numbering system for bolts is readily decoded, and they use the same parts numbers for both motorcycles and cars. An 8x55 flange bolt is 95701-0805508. High quality Japanese-made, beautifully formed and spec'd. to meet the strength needed here. Call your nearest Honda car parts department, ask for that number, if they don't have it in stock they'll get it usually the next day. I paid about $1.25 per bolt, well worth it.

95701 = flange head bolt
08xxxxx = 8 mm dia.
xx055xx = 55 mm length
xxxxx08 = thread pitch??? (less certain about this...)
BTW I ordered these bolts from Service Honda and they were perfect
Old 11-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #31445
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
BTW I ordered these bolts from Service Honda and they were perfect
Sweet!

Just curious, did you try the local Honda Auto Dealer? Parts like these are a lot easier for me to get from the car parts department--they're much closer than the nearest Honda MC dealer, no shipping costs, and they usually get them next day if they're not in stock. But if you're not close to a car dealer then I guess it's no big advantage.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #31446
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
First -- yeah, I've been surprised when I shoved it in km/h. It's further off than that, and in mph still. I wish I was that dumb. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
This problem has been reported on the WR site (I saw your post). It appears that the problem occurs when the battery is drained while the key is on. If you pull up, turn the bike off with the kill switch, forget to turn the key off, and run the battery down while the key is on it FUBARS the head unit. I have seen a couple for sale on ebay, but I don't think there is any way to repair one once it screws up.
Didn't /think/ I left the key on; it wasn't on when I loaded the thing to take it down to Arroyo Seco.

Still -- definitely got the unit FUBAR, showing all the symptoms of the buggered head unit from the WR forum. I just haven't seen it reported anywhere else but there, and it's a pretty serious issue.

Quote:
I don't know what the adjustment ranges is on one of these, but maybe????......................................... .............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SpeedoDRD-Y1...906bb8&vxp=mtr
I have one; I don't think it's do /that/ much of an adjustment. It is at least 3x off, and possibly more than that. Quite exciting, really.

The new head unit is less than I feared, more than I hoped. I'll probably just stalk eBay for a bit and if that fails, get a new one. Boo.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 AM   #31447
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Sweet!

Just curious, did you try the local Honda Auto Dealer? Parts like these are a lot easier for me to get from the car parts department--they're much closer than the nearest Honda MC dealer, no shipping costs, and they usually get them next day if they're not in stock. But if you're not close to a car dealer then I guess it's no big advantage.
I tried the four local (within 20 miles) Honda car dealers but due to the Hurricane they all were having problems with their computer systems. Being the impatient bastard that I am I decided not to wait and ordered them online.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #31448
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,539
Quote:
Still -- definitely got the unit FUBAR, showing all the symptoms of the buggered head unit from the WR forum. I just haven't seen it reported anywhere else but there, and it's a pretty serious issue.
This is a problem with (at least one) WR450 also, my riding buddy's speedo went apeshit in much the manner you describe, reading crazy high. In his case it just happened, there was no dead battery or other event to point your finger at.

Looking at the 250 and 450 components, they are very similar.

You may want to expand your Google search for solutions to include the 450; though I don't think he ever solved the problem.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #31449
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
Hi I've had one on order since sept 2nd safari tank that is and they gave me that same line Oct 24th when I posted on there vendors thread on here. I hope it is this coming week I'm gonna call them and given hell. It shouldn't take 2 months to get small parts shipped from alstralia.
Read post 31444 I really think they are doing their best. If not happy buy the IMS
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #31450
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
...but due to the Hurricane...
errr, yeah, those things can get in the way. Hope you got through that without too much grief.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #31451
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Didn't /think/ I left the key on; it wasn't on when I loaded the thing to take it down to Arroyo Seco.

Just thinking out loud now.................................. I guess if the battery is heading South, and you turn the bike on with a low battery, then try to crank it making the battery still even lower that might be enough to cause what ever the low voltage problem is for the head unit. I agree this is a serious issue and has made me nervous since I first read about it. I keep my bike on a tender 95% of the time when I'm not riding, and the original 08 battery is still strong as ever, but considering the consequences of waiting until the battery gets weak I'll probably figure 4 years is the limit and replace it this winter.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #31452
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasBob View Post
Just thinking out loud now.................................. I guess if the battery is heading South, and you turn the bike on with a low battery, then try to crank it making the battery still even lower that might be enough to cause what ever the low voltage problem is for the head unit...
I dunno, I know I have and I'm sure many (most) of us owners have killed the battery by leaving the key on, and then tried to crank it on a dead battery. Never harmed the speedometer. There must be something else in the mix other than just a dead battery.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #31453
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oversize handlebar clamps

I bought Renthal Fatbars and now need oversize handlebar clamps. Anyone have an opinion of GYTR or the ones that Renthal or Protaper sells?

And do I need anything else after those clamps? I saw this below in the Data, Specs and How-to's thread

Quote:
Fat Bar Comments (Pro Taper or GYTR Top Clamps: For the WR250R, the right lower clamp, you need a shorter bolt. The lowers normally come with I believe 100mm bolts, but the key/steering lock gets in the way. For the Pro Taper Tusk Big Bar Clamp, r/s lower clamp needs either 75mm or 80mm.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #31454
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Quote:
I bought Renthal Fatbars and now need oversize handlebar clamps. Anyone have an opinion of GYTR or the ones that Renthal or Protaper sells?

And do I need anything else after those clamps? I saw this below in the Data, Specs and How-to's thread
Also have a look at Highway Dirt Bikes' setup, especially if you also need/want hand guards and/or an easy way to mount stuff like power outlets or switches
Old 11-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #31455
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Also have a look at Highway Dirt Bikes' setup, especially if you also need/want hand guards and/or an easy way to mount stuff like power outlets or switches
+1 on the Highway Dirt Bikes.
I have them on a couple bikes and they are one of my favorite pieces of kit. I have abused the hell out of mine on my WR and they are bombproof. Not to mention Paul is a great guy and their customer service rocks. I will be putting HDB guards on every dirt bike I ever own.

A couple of shots back when mine looked brand new.

Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote