User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #61
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

Oddometer: 247
side picture

Side of the bike. Dyna coils, wider pegs, full exhaust, main tanks mount and various frame reinforcements.

Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #62
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

rock guard

We made a custom alum bash guard. The stock Guzzi piece is probably the worst/useless part ever ever built in the history of motorcycle engineering. Whoever, i guess the engineer who designed that item should beaten with a wood stick. Really, such a OEM POS for an oil pan that protrudes from the bike.
Note also that I have kept the stock mudguard from the front fender and attached it to the baja front fender.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #63
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Bloody brilliant....

This thread just gets better and better. Keep up the posts mate.

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #64
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

shocks and pipe

I just wish I could fine a freaking motorcycle exhaust maker in the houston area. I miss Brianza for that. So many artisans such great craftsmanship. I think we did a good job but we could have done better. Seems the work i like is done in California :)
I personally like the spartan mount for the muffler. A good view of the dual spring custom shock.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #65
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

oil splurge

So how do I deal with the oil foam coming out from the crankcase plus heads now that i have removed the stock airbox? I opted for a cylinder where the gas separates from the oil and the oil by gravity flows back in the crankcase. See below the alum cylinder kit tightened to the main frame. Works beautifully and no oil splatter whatsoever.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #66
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

Jim, your help is needed

Hi Jim,

I am looking for you buddy! and BTW if you are on FB like my page! i need 25 fans to shorten the link!

I need your help and expertise. Lets make a back rotor for the Guzzi. The stock set up weights a ton and the drilled lemans series disk almost a ton too. this will improve the riding and the integrity of the swing arm BIG TIME

Need a spacer made of alluminun and a light drilled rotor. I have spares to send you. Can you do it?

thanks

[/QUOTE]
Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #67
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
I'm in. Send me the spare rotors and I'll whip something up for you.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #68
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

great

You are the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
I'm in. Send me the spare rotors and I'll whip something up for you.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #69
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

Next steps

So ...today i drilled a lot..i am lightening the back support for the caliper that is an overkill and a spacer that is on the rim. pics later to follow. I have also send everything to MAP Engineering (Jim). He will receive the old heavy heavy guzzi rotor plus another rotor (not sure wher it came from but i had it around- either morini or cagiva- whcih has the same diameter of the guzzi back rotor. We may use it. Jim will let me know and post here.

Last, I got a present left by the mail man in front of my door.... See if you recognize what exactly it is and its peculiarity- probably obvious :)

Old 11-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #70
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
My three guesses:

1. 5-sp tranny with kick start.
2. Transfer case to make your Guzzi into a two wheel drive.
3. Boat anchor.

What did I win?
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #71
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Hello,
since the second weekend of octobre I'm able to tell that riddle: it's a gearbox with a kickstart from a V 65.
I've seen it in the flesh (should I say metal?) on the biggest German vintage bike- and auto-jumble. These things were fitted on a bunch of ex-army Guzzi V 65 from the Netherlands which were sold for around 1.100 EUR. Never known of them before and never seen one before ... As my wife Iris was an immediate V 65-fan from it's first appearance I phoned her up and asked if she wanted one. She said 'yes, but don't bring another non-runner'. Sadly, there were no batteries and no petrol in the bikes. Still there was one with less than 10.000 km's on it, looking pristine compared to the others and just 200 EUR dearer. I would have risked taking this one home. While judging the risk of 'another non-runner' a friend of mine was faster ...
Back to the theme: I remember a small pic and report about the first plans and prototypes for a Paris-Dakar-Guzzi V 50 in German bike-magazine PS (the German term for 'bhp'). I was so struck that I wrote to that mag that I'd buy one if they were built. Ok, when the 650-TTs finally reached production in the mid-80s I had bought a brandnew Triumph Tiger Trail 750 in 1981 which I still own and love today! A bike, that had also been built because of the Dakar-race as suddenly everybody wanted a bigger dualsport and, if possible, a twin! BMW surely made most money out of this!
Concerning this, desertpistons, I think you're a bit of a brother in spirit to me. I love those early Dakar-racers, starting with XTs, XRs, twin-valve BMWs (called air-heads in English?), those Guzzis, Elefants, African Twins, Ténérés and Super Ténérés and Suzukis Big (see my bike in my avatar, just a replica, not a genuine one!). I'm sure, if I sit down and think a bit, a few more bikes will come to mind.
Keep on with your good work!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 11-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #72
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

guess

You crack me up....

you win the honor to work on my gorgeous prototype. :)

The trans may work as an anchor...ops i leave it to the HD engines to perform that function

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
My three guesses:

1. 5-sp tranny with kick start.
2. Transfer case to make your Guzzi into a two wheel drive.
3. Boat anchor.

What did I win?

Desertpistons screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 06:25 PM
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #73
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

Bravo

Bravissimo Bambi,

It is a NATO v50 transmission also used on the Guzzi Bajas and following prototypes that raced at the dakar.

Bambi you are right, we like the same bikes......they have charisma not like the bikes of today, of which only few of them really appeal to me. Is it a sign of getting old????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello,
since the second weekend of octobre I'm able to tell that riddle: it's a gearbox with a kickstart from a V 65.
I've seen it in the flesh (should I say metal?) on the biggest German vintage bike- and auto-jumble. These things were fitted on a bunch of ex-army Guzzi V 65 from the Netherlands which were sold for around 1.100 EUR. Never known of them before and never seen one before ... As my wife Iris was an immediate V 65-fan from it's first appearance I phoned her up and asked if she wanted one. She said 'yes, but don't bring another non-runner'. Sadly, there were no batteries and no petrol in the bikes. Still there was one with less than 10.000 km's on it, looking pristine compared to the others and just 200 EUR dearer. I would have risked taking this one home. While judging the risk of 'another non-runner' a friend of mine was faster ...
Back to the theme: I remember a small pic and report about the first plans and prototypes for a Paris-Dakar-Guzzi V 50 in German bike-magazine PS (the German term for 'bhp'). I was so struck that I wrote to that mag that I'd buy one if they were built. Ok, when the 650-TTs finally reached production in the mid-80s I had bought a brandnew Triumph Tiger Trail 750 in 1981 which I still own and love today! A bike, that had also been built because of the Dakar-race as suddenly everybody wanted a bigger dualsport and, if possible, a twin! BMW surely made most money out of this!
Concerning this, desertpistons, I think you're a bit of a brother in spirit to me. I love those early Dakar-racers, starting with XTs, XRs, twin-valve BMWs (called air-heads in English?), those Guzzis, Elefants, African Twins, Ténérés and Super Ténérés and Suzukis Big (see my bike in my avatar, just a replica, not a genuine one!). I'm sure, if I sit down and think a bit, a few more bikes will come to mind.
Keep on with your good work!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 11-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #74
Desertpistons OP
80s dakar

Rotors

Jim,

Did you get the rotors?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #75
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 483
Jemco in Houston makes custom exhausts. They built my expansion chambers for my Mach111 about 20 years ago. I talked to someone there about 4 years ago about a custom exhaust for a GSPD. If they build the exhaust you will need to leave the bikewith them. I was very pleased with their products.
Jemco Exhaust Systems
1919 B Blalock
Houston , Texas 77080
Phone: 713-461-3834
E-Mail: info@jemcoexhaust.com

Where are you located in Houston? I'm by Reliant Stadium or Baja West University Area

Les