Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Ten Days and No Where to Be

Sitting here on a Sunday morning reading ride reports and decided to post up a 10 day ride I put together about 3 weeks ago. I had 10 days off and wanted to get one last trip in before the weather turned here in Bend, Oregon. Looking for a destination I decided that the Horizons Unlimited gathering in Cambria, Ca. would do. If I made it down there fine, if not, that was alright as well. Plan was to get to the Oregon coast and then ride south on US 1 with some side trips. Main one was I wanted to explore the Lost Coast area of California. Coming home I planned to cross over the Sierras and head north on the east side of the Sierras working my way home to Bend. Anytime you ride this far south in the pre-winter trips it's somewhat of a gamble as we can get an early snowstorm up this way. You guessed it.....we got one. I had great weather for 9 days of my trip. Last day not so much.

I digress though. Back to Day One. Trip was taken on a 07 WeeStrom. Great bike for the planned trip. Removed the Anakees I had been running and mounted up some Shinko 705's.

Headed to the coast. Basically pounded out miles until just east of Crescent City. Once I hit the Redwood Forest area I slowed down and started taking some pics and exploring some side roads.

Rolled into Crescent City right at dusk and started looking for a room. Some way too expensive. Finally found a little Mom-N-Pop place for $45 a night. Had planned to camp but it was almost dark and the skies weren't looking to good. Walked down to a local grocery store and purchased some sardines, crackers and a cold beer.

Up early the next morning and started south on US 1.

Kept working south and explored some side roads if they looked good. Love travelling like this. No where to be at the end of the day so if you see something you like. Turn and check it out. Some of the turns didn't work out. I hate going down a sweet road and running into this shit.

Stopped in a little town called Trinidad. Great little town with a restaurant right out on the dock. Checked out the old lighthouse in town and then had a great leisurely breakfast.

Driveway right outside the restaurant.

Trinidad Lighthouse

After to long screwing around in Trinidad headed south again for the Lost Coast and Shelter Cove for the night. First time in this area. Great backroads, little traffic, cool little towns, view and some fun gravel roads.

Some pics of the days ride enroute to Shelter Cove for the night. Shelter Cove is located along the Lost Coast and is an in and out road. After riding to a little town called HoneyDew started looking for dirt enroute to the main road leading in to Shelter Cove off of US1.

Great backroads to explore in the area. Was glad I put the Shinko's on rather than the Anakees once I got on this stuff.

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote