Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
So, Why wouldn't you choose a Super-Glide, pocket $2500 and have a PROPER rear suspension?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
I'm no expert on the softails but have two friends who owned them and hated them for long distance. Basically they said they felt the rear just didn't have enough travel. Maybe they've been improved over the last few years, but I think those advising you to rent first are smart. You might also go on HD forums where you can explore a bit. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
mid controls on hd softail slim

dear dakez

yes . you are correct - the optional mid controls are not offered for the softail slim . mid controls are offered for a few other harleys . so i am hoping that an inventive mechanic could somehow adapt mid control parts made for other harley models to the softail slim . is this a difficult and impossible modification ? i will investigate further . thanks

doggrell3000
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #19
doggrell3000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
long distace comfort on the softail slim

dear scrannel

on long distance trips coolness and style are much more important than comfort . as a harley rider passes other bikes and cars the passengers always exclaim " look ma , that guy is riding a harley . he must be really cool " . seriously - there must be a dozen after market mods to improve the rear suspension of the harley softail slim . i will investigate further . anyway my fat ass has a built in flab pillow .

doggrell3000
doggrell3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
If you want mid-controls Buy a Dyna. If you want to laugh because your bike is FUN... Buy a Dyna. This year you can get the FXDB from the factory with 15 different paints, 4 different Bars, 4 seats, light or Blacked out 96" or 103" engine, 4 different wheels... Basically order it the way you want it from the MoCo and it arrives in about 4 weeks.

If you want a cool looking boulevard cruiser that doesn't turn very well with retro styling that makes you smile Buy the Slim.

You can have foot boards or forward controls on the Softails. NO MID.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 05:47 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #21
Zanotti OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Took a brand new Slim out today for a test ride. They took one off the floor with zero miles on it and gave it to me. Salesman says, have fun.

Pro's and Cons:

Pro's:

Motor. Very nice. The counterbalanced 103 motor is smooth, has pleanty of power, and is almost vibration free. Best part of the bike.

Handling: Surprisingly good, until you hit the floorboards. I went in some slow twisties and drug each floorboard fairly quickly. If you stay away from the extremes, it handles well.

Seat: Nice. Enjoyed being low.

Fit and finish: Nice. the BMW guys always say 1950's technology at 2012 prices, but I didnt see that. Fit and finish were quite nice.

Speedo: Funny I saw it say 7 and I couldnt figure out why. Ahh, 7 is 70MPH!

Handling 2: Low speed handling was very in control. Must be from being so low. I did a couple slow speed u turns without issue. Maybe that is why its a parade bike, but anyone should be able to pass any test on this thing.

Cons:

Fulll pirate fest in parking lot. Being sold more on the lifestyle than the bike.

Brakes: Not much stopping power and rear very easy to lock up. I would buy ABS so no worry on lock. Perhaps a new bike thing?

Ergo's: After 30 years of riding with my feel below me, will I ever get used to feet in front?

Ergos: Heel and toe shifter - man that thing really gets in the way! I would remove the heel part immediately.

Ergos: Florboards. Both a pro and a con. Just felt too far forward.

Handling: Previously mentioned handling. Scraped the floorboards pretty quickly! Funny, scraped the left more than the right, why?

Sales process: I thought I was getting backroomed, but after talking to the hipster salesmanager I learned he was new (2 weeks on job) and couldn't figure out the price. Nice guy once you got past that. Once he learned I was cool with any process, he lightened up consideraby. Sounds like a little off MRSP for a 2013 is possible.

Accessories book: Really, a telephone book of extra stuff! I just want a bike to ride!

Overall:

I must admit, if my feet were below me, I would have bought today on sight. My primary issue is will I ultimately get used to that?

There is also a bit of a sail effect above 70mph. Its a cruiser, not a tourer, so this is ok with me.

I dont care for the lifestyle, but as a lone rider I dont have to participate.

This is a difficult decision for me. I am ready for a new bike, my 2002 BMW 1150R is ready for a trade, and I will get something new between now and Spring. I drove the Ducati Diavel and didnt like sitting right on top of the motor.

Does anyone else ride both a sport tourer and a Harely crusier? Can you swap between them without issue?

Thanks,

Z
Old 11-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,075
Don't say we didn't warn you.....
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,313
Swapping between bikes has never been much of an issue for me personally. I usually have three or four bikes in the garage and have owned sport tourers and cruisers simultaneously. I trade bikes fairly often and it's rare that I keep one for more than two years. It's never been a big deal to change from one to the other.

As far as touring on a Softail goes, let me tell you about Henry. I met him in Alaska in '07. He was riding a Softail Heritage. We were stopped together at a construction zone waiting for the guide car. When he retired in '03 at 60 years of age, he had never ridden a motorcycle. He took the MSF course, got his license, and bought a new Softail Heritage as his first bike. When he headed out on his first trip, he told his wife he would be gone two weeks, but didn't get back home for three months because he was having too much fun to quit. Two years later, he traded that Softail in with 60k miles on it for the one he was riding when I met him. It already had 40k miles on it. He'd been in 49 states, all the Canadian provinces, Nova Scotia, and Mexico in a little less than four years. Now, the Softail wouldn't be my choice of touring bikes (Electra Glides are more comfortable), but obviously it worked pretty well for Henry. So when people say you can't tour comfortably on a Softail, just remember there are others out there who find them acceptable for 25k miles a year.

My recommendation would be to buy the bike you want. That seems to be the Slim. If that doesn't work out, you can always change.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #24
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,766
We went to the local dealer today because i needed something and SO sat on a few bikes. She's used to riding a BMW r12r and before that a Low Rider. She liked the Slim and that would be her choice in a Softtail. She loved the ergos of the Street Bob. Mid pegs.

We'll see.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #25
Tman66
Smellin' da cow poop

Oddometer: 7,521

shhhhh

It's a fatboy with spoked rims, flat black paint and motorcross bars. (Don't tell the factory I told you)
Tman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #26
Zanotti OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman66 View Post

shhhhh

It's a fatboy with spoked rims, flat black paint and motorcross bars. (Don't tell the factory I told you)

Sure it is, but its a way to black the thing out without all the spare parts at home!

Funny thing about Harley's, for as different as they all look, almost all have the same motor and there are 3 chassis. After that, its all chrome, bars and shocks.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #27
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 827
+1 on davevv comments. I've too have had a bunch of bikes over the years and ride 20K+/- a year. There are some differences in each bike, but with a little mileage you soon imprint the new addition into your responses and that applies to everything from BMWs with wizzy brakes to ultra soft suspension and low clearance issues on a bagger, etc, etc. I can remember having bikes in the garage with left and right side shifting and they were no problem if you paid attention while riding.

Test ride or rent a Dyna and a Touring chassis HD and then make the call. I recently rented a 2012 Road King for a four day camping trip and had an absolute ball on it. If I had taken only a 20-30 minute road test I likely would have just handed the keys back with a thanks, but no thanks final impression and instead I really came to appreciate what a good motorcycle it is (heavy, but competent, shame on those that never learn to ride them instead of just own them).. Anyway, I ended up getting another Beemer, but only after a couple missed deals on a HD and then I found my current rt. BTW, the last 2 years of cross country, camping trips were done on my Stelvio and Futura and that included plenty of freeways and many miles of gravel and dirt that I would take anything from a Softail to GoldWing on, Buy what makes you smile and roll out, they are all great and they all do something better or worse than another offering so don't let others subjective opinions limit your enjoyment.

The FatBoy has those lovely tubeless radial tires, big + in my subjective pro/con list., other than that I really like the look of the Slim!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #28
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
One thing to get used to when riding a Harley with floor boards is your gonna scrape just don't go to low first few times. After you get used to scraping you will giggle like a school girl every time you do. Keep in mind you don't want to go to far like any bike or you will be on your butt.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
Sure it is, but its a way to black the thing out without all the spare parts at home!

Funny thing about Harley's, for as different as they all look, almost all have the same motor and there are 3 chassis. After that, its all chrome, bars and shocks.

You forgot "Paint" . Most important part...

Oh... and don't forget the CVO 50% surcharge ...

2011 BMW R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHADV View Post
One thing to get used to when riding a Harley with floor boards is your gonna scrape just don't go to low first few times. After you get used to scraping you will giggle like a school girl every time you do. Keep in mind you don't want to go to far like any bike or you will be on your butt.
The word is "too"