Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 202
Hey Ron, that "small fee" you are referring to is $50 at Telus.
There are local shops here in Vancouver that will do it for $20 to $30 bucks.

I am trying out the online un-locker suggested by juames which is $7.95 IF they succeed. Been down this road before with my last Telus phone with those guys and it looks like this might go the same way. They emailed for more info this morning and asking me to confirm the IMEI number again. Just like last time they need to "manually" calculate the code.

They could not unlock my last Telus phone and neither could the local hacks. I think the problem is Telus phones have two locks on them. A Samsung lock AND a Telus lock. Both need to be hacked to truly free your phone.
I know Apple iPhones from Rogers can be unlocked pretty easy as I know several folks here who have done that.
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #17
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post

I am trying out the online un-locker suggested by juames which is $7.95 IF they succeed. Been down this road before with my last Telus phone with those guys and it looks like this might go the same way. They emailed for more info this morning and asking me to confirm the IMEI number again. Just like last time they need to "manually" calculate the code.

They could not unlock my last Telus phone and neither could the local hacks. I think the problem is Telus phones have two locks on them. A Samsung lock AND a Telus lock. Both need to be hacked to truly free your phone.
I know Apple iPhones from Rogers can be unlocked pretty easy as I know several folks here who have done that.
Understood, I was trying not to go to 'deep' in the options as it opens up many other discussions (Jailbreaking and Unlocking through other means as you mentioned). Unfortunately the modem software version on my iPhone is not software unlockable so I have to wait until Bell offers the service which I'm hoping will be prior to May when I start traveling again.

I can't stress enough how convenient those apps are that allow you to phone via wifi. If traveling in a real remote area and wifi isn't available and I really needed to make a call bad, short of using the SPOT messenger, I'd just go ahead and turn the cell data on my phone and call.

(I'm sure Mr. Funnel has a different technological option in his towed orb time machine...hehe)
Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #18
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,789
folks just went thru this unlock business with ATT and iphone 4.

can't speak about other phone, but process unlocking iphone 4 is a pita! unlock doesn't mean you can use it on other carriers. this is due to lack of capacity to change APN Carrier settings.

sure your iphone is unlocked, but without a means to change your APN settings. your phone is still locked to ATT or who ever.

there's two ways to access your APN settings with iphone.

1. download a APN tool targeted at corporate customers from Apple's site. be prepared to find this yourself as Apple support knows nothing about existence of this tool.

2. visit a website to download an app that changes APN settings for you. visit on iphone in wifi mode, then follow instructions: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:37 PM   #19
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:

Wouldn't the TELUS lock on the Samsung go away if you put in a new SIM card? Or is it a frequency type setting on the phone that locks it on to the appropriate radio frequency range for the carrier (e.g.800 mHz, 1900 mHz, etc.)?
As for the iPhone, I haven't unlocked mine, but I wish I had before going to the UK this summer so I could have had a smartphone, fortunately we had a couple of cheap flip phones that we used over there. The lock on the iPhone tends to follow the agreement that the carrier has with Apple - e.g. you can get an unlocked phone from the Apple store for full price, but if you want one cheaper then it's subsidized by the carrier (and that you'll have to pay the subsidy back through your contract). Everyone slams the carriers for having locked iPhones, but I think if you look a little deeper it has to do with the way that Apple wants to control their products in the marketplace.
If I travelled in the States more often, then I'd buy a cheap pay as you go phone down there, as it is now, I am careful about my U.S. usage.
BTW - I suspect that most Canadian pay as you go phones won't roam because the higher rates charged for roaming would chew through your available time very quickly... plus the carriers have to offer some advantage to their monthly contracted customers.
Good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #20
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:

I think my bro and his fellow coworkers may have something to do with locking them up. If so good luck to the hackers and if they succeed he won't be far behind locking them up even better.I won't tell...I don't like Telus.

Hope you had a good ride on HWY 20 then down on the ferry.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Well, we'll see what happens with these UK unlockers tomorrow I guess. My phone is an Android though, not an iPhone. I took a pass on that Kool Aid.

HWY 20 was nothing short of awesome! (whoever you are ??) Just wished i had a bigger tank so we could get some more back roads in. 240km range is not good enough so I am working on a beat up R100 GS tank for my R80. Should get 100km more out of that once I figure out how to get some rather large dents out of it!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #22
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,460
Quote:
Well, we'll see what happens with these UK unlockers tomorrow I guess. My phone is an Android though, not an iPhone. I took a pass on that Kool Aid.

HWY 20 was nothing short of awesome! (whoever you are ??) Just wished i had a bigger tank so we could get some more back roads in. 240km range is not good enough so I am working on a beat up R100 GS tank for my R80. Should get 100km more out of that once I figure out how to get some rather large dents out of it!
You must remember that wet & stormy night and the lightning strikes. BTW I do have some GS parts I may Fleabay, good tank also no dents, remember we did talk GSs.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #23
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Bien Oui! Now I recall. You had me going there. Good one!

Well the UK phone unlocers have failed again and will be refunding my fee again. Just like the last time I tried to get them to unlock a Telus phone. They suggest using the provider (damned if I am going to hand over another $50 to Telus unless I have to!!) or trying out a local hacker who do this using a direct USB connection to the phone. I know just such a place so we'll see how he does with this one. He failed the last time too!

Why Telus does this to their customers is beyond me. I've never seen a company go so far out of their way to rip off and alienate customers. This is the same Telus that bragged to their shareholders that they round up air time charges to the minute and do not charge by the second as some providers do. Why? To gouge the customer! Why else? So when you go to the States and make a one minute call to say "I'm fine" if the call is one minute and one second long they charge you two minutes. Which right now is $2.90 plus roaming and taxes!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
tat2
where's ya too?

Oddometer: 104
Last I looked Telus charges $35 to unlock. It was $50 when they first started doing it.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #25
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
They could not unlock my last Telus phone and neither could the local hacks.
Telus was a CDMA carrier, not GSM (well, up until they went LTE this year anyway). CDMA phones aren't easily unlockable by third parties. If that's what you have, you need to go to the carrier directly to get an unlock.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

@Commuter Boy: Actually Telus is a HPSA network and it supports GSM. Has done for over 3 years now. I don't know what LTE is but my current Samsung Galaxy S (the first rev) supports all of these bands.

@Tat2: You are correct, they now charge $35 to unlock a phone. It was $50 when I last checked. My old phone could not be unlocked by a 3rd party and it turns out Telus cannot unlock it either! This one was a Samsung SCH-A885 which was a pretend "smart" phone that was actually quite dumb. So unless I want to enable it on the Telus network and I don't it's trash. Pretty sad because the phone was hardly used and still works as a phone quite well. Most of the included apps were full of bugs they never fixed so I gave up on it for the Galaxy S I have now.

The Galaxy CAN be unlocked however so the next step is to find out if it is cheaper to just get a "burn" phone from WallyWorld down in the US or just get a prepay SIMM from AT&T or Verizon or ???

Anyway, I've taken this thread way off topic now. It's more like "making a CDN phone useful in the US"! Sorry bout that!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
@Commuter Boy: Actually Telus is a HPSA network and it supports GSM. Has done for over 3 years now. I don't know what LTE is but my current Samsung Galaxy S (the first rev) supports all of these bands.

@Tat2: You are correct, they now charge $35 to unlock a phone. It was $50 when I last checked. My old phone could not be unlocked by a 3rd party and it turns out Telus cannot unlock it either! This one was a Samsung SCH-A885 which was a pretend "smart" phone that was actually quite dumb. So unless I want to enable it on the Telus network and I don't it's trash. Pretty sad because the phone was hardly used and still works as a phone quite well. Most of the included apps were full of bugs they never fixed so I gave up on it for the Galaxy S I have now.

The Galaxy CAN be unlocked however so the next step is to find out if it is cheaper to just get a "burn" phone from WallyWorld down in the US or just get a prepay SIMM from AT&T or Verizon or ???

Anyway, I've taken this thread way off topic now. It's more like "making a CDN phone useful in the US"! Sorry bout that!
LTE is the fancy acronym that the industry is using for Long Term Evolution... the next technology after HSPA/HSPA+ which was evolved from GSM (Global Standard for Mobiles).
WRT to iPhones, the locking requirements that Apple slaps on the carriers are pretty significant as they are trying to keep their product exclusive to certain markets and they don't want people buying unlocked phones and selling them into other markets.