ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #54316
Benly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
Good times at Wayne today! Thanks to Craig for leading the group.

It was not nearly as busy as I thought it might be given the nice weather and free entry.

My 690 worked well until I started to get tired. Then I began making mistakes and inevitably went down a few times. Tweaked my ankle on the last one. Decided I better call it a day before I did some real damage.

I'm kicked back on the couch now with a beer.

Looking forward to some pictures!

It was good meeting everyone today. Good day to test out the new bike and the old shoulder. Thanks to everyone for continuing to wait for me to catch up so I would not miss a turn, especially Byron.
Benly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #54317
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Indeed.

Thanx to all for letting my mini-panzer tag along.

Had a good ride home 78/555/669.
You win the hardcore big bike prize, well done muscling the 800 on those trails.

I had a great time, trails were perfect and it was fun to blast along and hit some air...I think I was off the ground more than on it. My butt isn't sore from sitting it's sore from getting slapped by the seat so much.

Casualties are my cool home-made skid plate, which took a big hit I think on a rock ledge, I heard something pop and sure enough the plate is in two pieces now...but it did it's job cause there's no damage to anything. $11 well spent.

And my water pump seal is leaking again...worked for a couple hundred miles, but today it was puking after we came to a stop. The shaft was a little notchy when I changed it, and I didn't pull the head to fix it figured I might get lucky and it would work but no dice. Looks like I'll have to tear into that this winter.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #54318
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible monster View Post
Good times at Wayne today! Thanks to Craig for leading the group.

It was not nearly as busy as I thought it might be given the nice weather and free entry.

My 690 worked well until I started to get tired. Then I began making mistakes and inevitably went down a few times. Tweaked my ankle on the last one. Decided I better call it a day before I did some real damage.

I'm kicked back on the couch now with a beer.

Looking forward to some pictures!
Yep thanks guys, had a great time and the shoulder/arm held up better than expected. Also, watching you on the 690 brought back no-so-fond memories and made me remember why I have a 450 now. Not nearly as much fun getting to the riding, but that thing would wear my butt out on the trails. Now if I could just find a good F800GS or KTM950 Super Enduro...
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #54319
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOhio View Post
... Now if I could just find a good F800GS ..

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #54320
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
Skull Fork...not one of the ones I have yet, but on my list...thanks

meanwhile, Steve (BigOhio) and I got out yesterday for about 75 miles or so...was a nice day and Steve wanted to test out his sore shoulder...so we went tear-assing around the Hocking Hills for a while, then stopped at the Millstone for a beer. As I was just about home, maybe half a mile away, I started hearing a fairly loud clattering from the engine on my Sabre...got home to find my left foot and shin and the left side of the bike covered in oil. It was almost dark, and dinner time, so I just put the bike in the garage and decided to wait until today to look at it.

when I got home from work today, this is what I found:

which explains both the oil and the noise (if I'm reading the schematic correctly, thats the valve rocker arm shaft). I put it back in and tightened it up, and refilling the oil, started the bike and all seems to be well....no untoward noises noticed as of yet. Lucky for me, the frame tube kept it from falling out completely. There are 8 of these on the bike, but only this one and the same one on the other side wouldnt fall out and be lost. Anyway, I checked all the others for tightness, and am now going out for a test ride.
Doesn't sound that bad, figured you blew it up trying to keep up with me coming up Revenge Road...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #54321
BigOhio
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post

I know, I know. Looking for a cream puff, but if you still have it in a month or so let's talk...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #54322
EJV
Fuso FG Expedition

Oddometer: 921
I enjoyed the weather today. No pictures, except the screenshot.
I chickened out on the "middle" of Stone Quarry Rd. The leaves were pretty slick (with street tires).
I randomly hit a few dirt roads. Chased (passed) a few Harleys. Quite a few Harley types and Amish Buggies out today.

The leaves made me chicken out. Sigh.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #54323
invisible monster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
, watching you on the 690 brought back no-so-fond memories and made me remember why I have a 450 now. Not nearly as much fun getting to the riding, but that thing would wear my butt out on the trails.
Today was an experiment for me. I wanted to see how the 690 would be on the trail. I figured Wayne would be a good place since the trails are wider and more flowing. Also, I had just ridden my 250f at Wayne a few weeks ago and I would have that as a comparison.

You are right, it wore me out. Not surprisingly it wore me out way faster than the 250. The 690 is heavier and has so much more power. It also has a very limited turning radius. This is the one that bit me on the last get off before I headed home.

So the experiment taught me what the bike is capable of, which is quite a bit to be honest. However, I think I will continue to use the 690 for gravel road exploration duty and my 250f for trail riding.
invisible monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #54324
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,492
Quote:
Doesn't sound that bad, figured you blew it up trying to keep up with me coming up Revenge Road...
you were definitely getting after it.. I was able to catch up a couple times only cause you got stuck behind a cage...the Sabre's suspension just cant handle those roads (especially Clearcreek) at the same speed your GS can

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #54325
vivid dadas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Sion,

That bridge is actually on "Covered Bridge Road," it's the one I told you about between my house and Crow. If we get a nice day and you come up we can get 3 or 4 bridges pretty easy.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #54326
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030

Holy fricken wow I had a blast at Wayne today! Swingset, great ride and great pace! Like you, I was airborne constantly. The place is much easier to navigate than perry; I might consider a pass next year for my Thursdays off.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #54327
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

Holy fricken wow I had a blast at Wayne today! Swingset, great ride and great pace! Like you, I was airborne constantly. The place is much easier to navigate than perry; I might consider a pass next year for my Thursdays off.
Does the mud smell better? I swear 1 time at Perry stuck a fork in my chain, sprockets, and wheel bearings.

Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #54328
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Does the mud smell better? I swear 1 time at Perry stuck a fork in my chain, sprockets, and wheel bearings.

The Wayne mud is a more fresh, airy taste, robust but not heavy...with a hint of almond. It's a lovely summer blend that goes well with greens, or just as a main course.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #54329
nunzo
nunzo

Oddometer: 283
Wnf

Nice riding with you guys today. Me and my son had a good time even with the grief I gave him about old men on big bike being baster then a young punk on a 125!

Displacement versus Skill?
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #54330
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Well no gravel roads and no water crossings but a fun afternoon of slab with the top down, the V8 on the red line, the boys in the back seat smiling ear to ear and the wife in the front seat yelling slow down. We saw lots of bikes out today. Passed a group of sport bikes outside of Killbuck and another group in Danville.

alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote