Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #48871
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316

Took a ride yesterday, that is snow in the pic. On top of denie ahll hill up browns creek here in wash.
Was a cold ride in the a.m.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #48872
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Mark Sutton?

Does anyone know Mark Sutton? I need to get in touch with him ASAP. I sent him an email about the oil cooler a few days ago when I first noticed mine was cracked and I haven't heard back from him yet. I fixed it with JB weld, but that is starting to crack now too. I just slapped some zipties on it today to keep it as tight to the bracket as possible until I can figure out what to do. Right now I'm looking at two options:

1. Find someone to weld the existing oil cooler. Pros: cheaper, possibly faster. Cons: I've got a ton of JB weld on that thing now.....what's the best way to clean off JB weld? Sandpaper? Also, I have to find someone to weld aluminium, which may be pretty hard for me (I think) as I will be in Guatemala tomorrow.

2. Get someone to ship me a new Jagg oil cooler that has already been welded. Pro: easier, better quality, can get bypass switch shipped out as well. Cons: expensive, time consuming.

Here's a picture of where the cracks have formed:

And here is a picture of the JB Weld-ed version.

Only the top lug is cracked now, and it hasn't gone all the way around the JB weld, just the bottom half. I had a really fun time doing this in the courtyard of my hotel in downtown Oaxaca....

I'm crossing into Guatemala tomorrow and will probably spend a few weeks there improving my Spanish at one of the language schools. I have $$$ for whoever can give me a hand......haha!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #48873
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post

Took a ride yesterday, that is snow in the pic. On top of denie ahll hill up browns creek here in wash.
Was a cold ride in the a.m.
Surprised there isn't more snow in the Olympics now.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #48874
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
Does anyone know Mark Sutton? I need to get in touch with him ASAP. I sent him an email about the oil cooler a few days ago when I first noticed mine was cracked and I haven't heard back from him yet. I fixed it with JB weld, but that is starting to crack now too. I just slapped some zipties on it today to keep it as tight to the bracket as possible until I can figure out what to do. Right now I'm looking at two options:

1. Find someone to weld the existing oil cooler. Pros: cheaper, possibly faster. Cons: I've got a ton of JB weld on that thing now.....what's the best way to clean off JB weld? Sandpaper? Also, I have to find someone to weld aluminium, which may be pretty hard for me (I think) as I will be in Guatemala tomorrow.

2. Get someone to ship me a new Jagg oil cooler that has already been welded. Pro: easier, better quality, can get bypass switch shipped out as well. Cons: expensive, time consuming.

Only the top lug is cracked now, and it hasn't gone all the way around the JB weld, just the bottom half. I had a really fun time doing this in the courtyard of my hotel in downtown Oaxaca....

I'm crossing into Guatemala tomorrow and will probably spend a few weeks there improving my Spanish at one of the language schools. I have $$$ for whoever can give me a hand......haha!
They're 110.00 to replace the cooler or have it welded for 25.00 bucko's..
Did you crash and break the cooler? or is there some kind of bind on it making the fasteners crack?
Looks like you bead blasted it..

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #48875
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,494
Anyone have a pic of those Tusk hippo-hands mounted on their bike? Will they work with handguards installed?

I moved my controls in a little today so that I have room to wear my snowboarding gloves. They should be plenty warm, but the loss of dexterity sucks...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #48876
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Anyone have a pic of those Tusk hippo-hands mounted on their bike? Will they work with handguards installed?

I moved my controls in a little today so that I have room to wear my snowboarding gloves. They should be plenty warm, but the loss of dexterity sucks...
Hippo hands work best with hand guards since they provide a frame for the hippo hands.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #48877
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post

Take 5 minutes and by-pass that fucker.... Millions of miles have been ridden on these motors with no cooler at all. Your ambient temps are ok, not like racing in Baja in August. Keep your ride of a lifetime going and forget about the cooler. I'm WAY jealous of your ride, BTW!!!!

EDIT: Man your in mexico.... Zip tye, wire tie, or use a coat hanger inside a piece of fuel line. Wrap it all the way around the cooler and tie it off to the cooler frame. Improvise... Maxicanize!!!!! Just keep on riding!
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #48878
Idaho_XR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:

If you experience any technical problems, just call the NMCI!
Idaho_XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #48879
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

i say just by pass the cooler! hook those two lines together with a double barbed fitting and 2 hose clamps and deal with it when you get home. bike should be fine with out it for awhile right.
just make sure the lines dont kink!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #48880
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

ill have some shortly!
i ordered a set today with my hand heaters, for $7.99 if they dont work the wife will like them on her quad.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #48881
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Surprised there isn't more snow in the Olympics now.
ya it has come and gone for the last month.
it is only like 1600 ft here at that spot.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #48882
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,612
Damn Spud, I think you single handedly caused a run on Tusk grip heaters today! I got two pair also... Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:

I was looking at those too but didn't get them. They look smaller than the real Hippo Hands. Some of the reviews said they work over hand guards but one said they didn't. I also have snowboarding gloves that are good down to the mid twenties(after that I'm done!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Hippo hands work best with hand guards since they provide a frame for the hippo hands.
The ones at RM ATV/MC supposedly have some wire inside to keep them from collapsing back into the controls.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #48883
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
They're 110.00 to replace the cooler or have it welded for 25.00 bucko's..
Did you crash and break the cooler? or is there some kind of bind on it making the fasteners crack?
Looks like you bead blasted it..
No, I haven't crashed....yet. The lugs just cracked. They are still attached to the cooler, but the top one spins and the bottom one is loose. Maybe I overtightened them when I put them on, but I think they are just weak and finally decided to start making a run for the border after about 5,000 miles of hard riding.

I would love to weld it. But how do I get that damn JB weld off now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Take 5 minutes and by-pass that fucker.... Millions of miles have been ridden on these motors with no cooler at all. Your ambient temps are ok, not like racing in Baja in August. Keep your ride of a lifetime going and forget about the cooler. I'm WAY jealous of your ride, BTW!!!!

EDIT: Man your in mexico.... Zip tye, wire tie, or use a coat hanger inside a piece of fuel line. Wrap it all the way around the cooler and tie it off to the cooler frame. Improvise... Maxicanize!!!!! Just keep on riding!
Thanks man! And it is totally mexicanized now. It's got JB weld, two zipties, and tomorrow I'm going to hunt down some bailing wire. I'm not going to stop riding, but I would like to try and keep the bike running as best as possible, and it runs hot with all the weight I'm carrying and the temps down here!

My original concern was that the lugs and the cracks were going to cause a leak in the cooler. But after I looked closer, it didn't seem that the lugs were attached to anything that sealed oil in. I really wouldn't have any problem just wiring that thing to the bracket, but my only concern is that the cracks will eventually spread to a part of the cooler that seals the oil in....am I crazy?

Regardless, I'm going ot keep riding until something breaks that absolutley stops me. If I can find a welder or get one of these shipped ahead to somewhere that I can pick it up when I get there, that would be optimal.
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #48884
b3h
ol dog on a stray

Oddometer: 181
Get a small piece of metal tubing and some hose clamps to carry with u if the cooler fails. I spun both of my mounts and have been runnin the cooler with no issues. Am not puttin on the miles u r though.
b3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #48885
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
My BMW has grip heaters and seat heaters.
Has any body seen seat heater kits?

Yeah, these are pretty cheap and will heat your seat up pretty nicely:

You can get them here.