Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #31456
KansasBob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I dunno, I know I have and I'm sure many (most) of us owners have killed the battery by leaving the key on, and then tried to crank it on a dead battery. Never harmed the speedometer. There must be something else in the mix other than just a dead battery.
My other thought would be glitching the speedo / head unit when trying to jump start or removing the battery. I'm pretty sure the speedo on the WRR is much more than just a speedo, and has part of the circuitry for the FI / ignition system built into it. I don't think the bike will run without it being plugged in. It is a weird deal no matter how you dice it.
KansasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #31457
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Also have a look at Highway Dirt Bikes' setup, especially if you also need/want hand guards and/or an easy way to mount stuff like power outlets or switches
I really like the look / reviews of the HDB stuff but I've already got bars, handguards, and sometime soon a Scotts SUB mount. Once I buy the Scotts their clamps and risers will be what I will use; I'm looking for something for the short term to be able to mount the 1 1/8" bars I have.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #31458
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
I really like the look / reviews of the HDB stuff but I've already got bars, handguards, and sometime soon a Scotts SUB mount. Once I buy the Scotts their clamps and risers will be what I will use; I'm looking for something for the short term to be able to mount the 1 1/8" bars I have.
Pretty sure he'll happily sell you the one of his top clamps and a Scotts-compatible sub-mount. Best of both worlds, and then you can just buy the stabilizer plus the pin.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #31459
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,790
Quote:
Rocky Mountain/Tusk is good and cheap. I have used their stuff on my bikes. These may for your short term needs BA.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...fat+bar+clamps
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #31460
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Rocky Mountain/Tusk is good and cheap. I have used their stuff on my bikes. These may for your short term needs BA.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...fat+bar+clamps
Thanks Doug
Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #31461
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
A little fall maintenance this weekend. Two brand new Dunlop 606's and a new YUASA
battery. We're just starting to get into our really good riding season here in California
now.

I went on a group ride a couple of weeks ago and spent a few days camping
up in the Sierras. The original battery was not liking the cold early morning starts at
all. So after 4 1/2 years I replaced it with an identical battery. Hope I can get the same
life out of this one!.
scottmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #31462
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,696
Missouri Fall Colors

After new steering bearings, I got one more good ride in before the weather looks like its gonna turn cold on us out here in the midwest... Missouri Fall Colors at their best!

still lovin this bike!!

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #31463
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,198
Took a few years but I finally managed to break off one of those big/fugly front turn signals yesterday......"looped it" on a step up........decided to go right rather than use the rocks like one of those pussies.......I think the rocks would've been a better choice.......the bike landed there .......time to upgrade the turn signals

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #31464
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Took a few years but I finally managed to break off one of those big/fugly front turn signals yesterday......"looped it" on a step up........decided to go right rather than use the rocks like one of those pussies.......I think the rocks would've been a better choice.......the bike landed there .......time to upgrade the turn signals

LOL!

I ain't saying WHY I'm laughing. All I'm saying is it's nice to walk away even if the bike can't!

I spent the day breaking in a new set of MT16's. Brand new - just a couple round the block street rides (maybe 10 miles) to rough 'em up a tad.

Tore one knob completely off, two knobs chunked, and three knobs split at the base.

For the record, MT16's can't quite handle 140 miles of pinned 80mph SoCal freeways...

On the other hand it felt really good for the the 40 miles of dirt I played in!

I'm going to try the Scorpion XC Mid-Hard Dots next.

If they fail I'm going to cave to the MT43 Trials Tires...I haven't quite made that leap yet.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #31465
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
the bike landed there

Chris where did you land, did you drag it down the rocks for the restart? Could be a little sore after that.

I know the feeling...:
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #31466
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
I spent the day breaking in a new set of MT16's. Brand new - just a couple round the block street rides (maybe 10 miles) to rough 'em up a tad.

Tore one knob completely off, two knobs chunked, and three knobs split at the base.

For the record, MT16's can't quite handle 140 miles of pinned 80mph SoCal freeways...

On the other hand it felt really good for the the 40 miles of dirt I played in!
Is that the rear? The MT-16 is my favorite front tire right now and my last one lasted pretty well and is now on my girlfriend's XT225 to finish wearing out. No chunks or tears on it.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #31467
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Ortlieb bags

A

mpatch screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 08:51 PM
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #31468
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Is that the rear? The MT-16 is my favorite front tire right now and my last one lasted pretty well and is now on my girlfriend's XT225 to finish wearing out. No chunks or tears on it.
Yeah, rear tire. The front's in good shape and it stuck very well overall. Having said that, the front is DOT...the rear? Notsomuch...

Honestly, if I decided to keep the speeds down to something a bit more reasonable (ie: 65mph instead of 80) the rear would probably have been fine. I was doing a bit of "destructive testing" - that is, seeing how much punishment the tire would take to failure. Roosting and hammering the blue roads...and topspeed (saw 87 mph for a brief downhill "wind at my back" second) on the highway.

My gut tells me it's a decent tire I just wasn't nice to.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #31469
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Swapping handlebars

I've never swapped out bars before so I'm looking for a step-by-step guide that takes me through the high level tasks. Can anyone point me in the right direction or elaborate here?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #31470
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
I've never swapped out bars before so I'm looking for a step-by-step guide that takes me through the high level tasks. Can anyone point me in the right direction or elaborate here?

Bash3r (Bill) has a ton of How-to vids on his website. Here is one for the install of his new Pro Tapers which should help you out:

http://www.basherdesigns.com/2010/01...bars-and-more/

jordan
jglow is online now   Reply With Quote