Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thanks Gunnerbuck
darenb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #7607
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,615
I've always wanted a 640 adv. I'm thinking of picking up a 1999 with 11K miles at what seems a good price. Is there anything in particular I should look for with this year? Is this a year to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #7608
mada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Nothing wrong with 99 model and the color is the best looking of all years IMO.
As always with 640 Adv, I definitively recommend a fcr41 carburator as the stock mikuni or dellorto sucks big time. Besides that a geat bike.
mada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #7609
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 279
Love my FCR41... Best mod you can make to a 640 Adventure... Hands Down...
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
2009 Husqvarna TE 310
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #7610
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianViking View Post
winter here so no time for riding, but its good time to wrench and farkle.

I finally got the KTM panniers, pricey but should do the job:

Next up will be the high fender kit, some engine crash bars and a tourtech GPS mount.
Do you like the Touratech GPS Mount in particular, or you may consider other options?
I see you already have the KTM roadbook carrier installed: I have mounted my Garmin Zumo with the OEM RAM Mount on that very same carrier, and this duet supported 50.000Km, most of them offroad, and never had a problem.
The only thing I have thought should be a good idea was to put a hard rubber roll between the RAM Rail Base and the carrier. That was enough for the setup to be there successfully functional and firm for 6 years.

Don't know how much cost today the pricey Touratech Mounts, but the OEM RAM mount is about u$30/u$40... just in case this could be of interest.
Cheers!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #7611
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
winter here so no time for riding, but its good time to wrench and farkle.

I finally got the KTM panniers, pricey but should do the job:

Next up will be the high fender kit, some engine crash bars and a tourtech GPS mount.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your panniers, and how much did they run? Thanks!

Ken
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #7612
CanadianViking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I'll check out the RAM mount, I have one laying around but I never really thought of using it. thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Do you like the Touratech GPS Mount in particular, or you may consider other options?
I see you already have the KTM roadbook carrier installed: I have mounted my Garmin Zumo with the OEM RAM Mount on that very same carrier, and this duet supported 50.000Km, most of them offroad, and never had a problem.
The only thing I have thought should be a good idea was to put a hard rubber roll between the RAM Rail Base and the carrier. That was enough for the setup to be there successfully functional and firm for 6 years.

Don't know how much cost today the pricey Touratech Mounts, but the OEM RAM mount is about u$30/u$40... just in case this could be of interest.
Cheers!
2005 Road King Classic
CanadianViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #7613
CanadianViking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I picked up the panniers at my local KTM dealer, they ran $480 each. Not quite as expensive as the sport panniers for my BMW K13R, but just about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your panniers, and how much did they run? Thanks!

Ken
2005 Road King Classic
CanadianViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #7614
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
I picked up the panniers at my local KTM dealer, they ran $480 each. Not quite as expensive as the sport panniers for my BMW K13R, but just about!
that's a huge load of money...
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #7615
deepfreeze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32

Finally had some energy to install Vapor to replace the crappy original Tripmaster. It sometimes worked but usually not...

I checked the prizes from TouraTech for a new unit and instead decided to use TrailTech Vapor.
Its small enough to go inside the original box and it has some nice features. Now I can see the engine temp, outdoor temp, real speed etc..

And the prize is bargain.

S

picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8z08copgizvyvr/vapor.jpg

deepfreeze screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 07:20 AM Reason: picture link
deepfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #7616
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze View Post
Finally had some energy to install Vapor to replace the crappy original Tripmaster. It sometimes worked but usually not...

I checked the prizes from TouraTech for a new unit and instead decided to use TrailTech Vapor.
Its small enough to go inside the original box and it has some nice features. Now I can see the engine temp, outdoor temp, real speed etc..

And the prize is bargain.

S

picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8z08copgizvyvr/vapor.jpg
I have been planning on doing this conversion to mine as well. How did the install go? What issues, if any, did you have?
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #7617
deepfreeze
Adventurer

2001 Vapor installation

It was actually easier than I thought.

When You remove the Tripmaster and take it apart - You´ll notice that Vapor fits inside the box tightly.

My friend made me a new cover from 5mm plexiglass and used the Tripmasters cover for dimensions. New cover has a Vapor-shaped hole in middle so You have access to Vapor buttons. If You paint the downside of plexiglass black You get nice looks too. Dont worry about water - Vapor is waterproof. Bottom of the Tripmaster-box You have to drill couple of more holes to get wires out and make one more for the Vapors reset-button. More about that later...

Under the dash is a handful of cables and connectors for Tripmaster - You get rid of them too Keep the tacho-wires intact.

Sensors and wires:

Power. You get power from the old wires.

Speedo. My 2001A used some kind of 3-wire sensor (Vapor uses 2-wire) and the thread size was like 8 or 10mm. I ordered a KTM sensor from Trailtechs catalog but it was obviously for some other model since it came with smaller threads. It was still better choice to work with, than the huge plastic flat-sensor wich is the Vapors "one fits all" solution. By carefully drilling trough the old sensor I managed to make room to fit Vapor-KTM sensor inside the old KTM-sensor. Some 2-component superglue and now it fits the old fastener. It,s neat too.

Temp. Lift the tank and placed the sensor in left side upper corner radiator hose. That is (as far as I imagined) easiest place and leads to shortest wiring too. The hose makes a tight curve there so to make it fit You have to be careful.
Now we get back to that Vapors reset-button. Once You have installed all the wires and sensors and You still have the dash open - You have to press the reset button once. That is related to temp-sensor. All other sensors work straightaway but temp-sensor needs this reset after You have connected it.

Tacho. Just use the ignition wire and wrap the sensor around it.

s
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #7618
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,400
Deep freeze!

You should do a write up with photos and full story to put on the index thread.

Then I will buy you a beer!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 because I am too cheap to buy the new iPhone 5!!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #7619
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze View Post
It was actually easier than I thought.

When You remove the Tripmaster and take it apart - You´ll notice that Vapor fits inside the box tightly.

My friend made me a new cover from 5mm plexiglass and used the Tripmasters cover for dimensions. New cover has a Vapor-shaped hole in middle so You have access to Vapor buttons. If You paint the downside of plexiglass black You get nice looks too. Dont worry about water - Vapor is waterproof. Bottom of the Tripmaster-box You have to drill couple of more holes to get wires out and make one more for the Vapors reset-button. More about that later...

Under the dash is a handful of cables and connectors for Tripmaster - You get rid of them too Keep the tacho-wires intact.

Sensors and wires:

Power. You get power from the old wires.

Speedo. My 2001A used some kind of 3-wire sensor (Vapor uses 2-wire) and the thread size was like 8 or 10mm. I ordered a KTM sensor from Trailtechs catalog but it was obviously for some other model since it came with smaller threads. It was still better choice to work with, than the huge plastic flat-sensor wich is the Vapors "one fits all" solution. By carefully drilling trough the old sensor I managed to make room to fit Vapor-KTM sensor inside the old KTM-sensor. Some 2-component superglue and now it fits the old fastener. It,s neat too.

Temp. Lift the tank and placed the sensor in left side upper corner radiator hose. That is (as far as I imagined) easiest place and leads to shortest wiring too. The hose makes a tight curve there so to make it fit You have to be careful.
Now we get back to that Vapors reset-button. Once You have installed all the wires and sensors and You still have the dash open - You have to press the reset button once. That is related to temp-sensor. All other sensors work straightaway but temp-sensor needs this reset after You have connected it.

Tacho. Just use the ignition wire and wrap the sensor around it.

s
Good stuff! When I first considered it, I contacted Trailtech and they advised a 75-100 would fit. Is that the one you used?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Deep freeze!

You should do a write up with photos and full story to put on the index thread.

Then I will buy you a beer!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 because I am too cheap to buy the new iPhone 5!!
X2
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #7620
deepfreeze
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Good stuff! When I first considered it, I contacted Trailtech and they advised a 75-100 would fit. Is that the one you used?
X2
Sorry - cant find that product? Can YOu send me a link.

I used this:

http://www.trailtech.net/101-06.html

And that neede some modification as I said.
If You find the one with same threads it´s easier.

s