ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #7606
darenb68
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 90
Thanks Gunnerbuck
darenb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #7607
selaznog
Avoiding pavement
 
selaznog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Rt 66 & The Rio Grande
Oddometer: 2,615
I've always wanted a 640 adv. I'm thinking of picking up a 1999 with 11K miles at what seems a good price. Is there anything in particular I should look for with this year? Is this a year to avoid?

Thanks in advance.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #7608
mada
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 70
Nothing wrong with 99 model and the color is the best looking of all years IMO.
As always with 640 Adv, I definitively recommend a fcr41 carburator as the stock mikuni or dellorto sucks big time. Besides that a geat bike.
mada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #7609
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe
 
TripleThreat719's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Bloomington, Indiana
Oddometer: 279
Love my FCR41... Best mod you can make to a 640 Adventure... Hands Down...
__________________
On the road less traveled....
.... You always meet more interesting people!
______________________________________
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
2009 Husqvarna TE 310
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #7610
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianViking View Post
winter here so no time for riding, but its good time to wrench and farkle.

I finally got the KTM panniers, pricey but should do the job:





Next up will be the high fender kit, some engine crash bars and a tourtech GPS mount.
Do you like the Touratech GPS Mount in particular, or you may consider other options?
I see you already have the KTM roadbook carrier installed: I have mounted my Garmin Zumo with the OEM RAM Mount on that very same carrier, and this duet supported 50.000Km, most of them offroad, and never had a problem.
The only thing I have thought should be a good idea was to put a hard rubber roll between the RAM Rail Base and the carrier. That was enough for the setup to be there successfully functional and firm for 6 years.



Don't know how much cost today the pricey Touratech Mounts, but the OEM RAM mount is about u$30/u$40... just in case this could be of interest.
Cheers!
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #7611
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer
 
mtbdemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianViking View Post
winter here so no time for riding, but its good time to wrench and farkle.

I finally got the KTM panniers, pricey but should do the job:





Next up will be the high fender kit, some engine crash bars and a tourtech GPS mount.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your panniers, and how much did they run? Thanks!

Ken
__________________
I am a leaf on the wind, watch me.....ride (I know, it makes no sense)
2007 YZ 250F SOLD
1998 KTM 620 Adventure
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #7612
CanadianViking
Adventurer
 
CanadianViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 10
I'll check out the RAM mount, I have one laying around but I never really thought of using it. thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Do you like the Touratech GPS Mount in particular, or you may consider other options?
I see you already have the KTM roadbook carrier installed: I have mounted my Garmin Zumo with the OEM RAM Mount on that very same carrier, and this duet supported 50.000Km, most of them offroad, and never had a problem.
The only thing I have thought should be a good idea was to put a hard rubber roll between the RAM Rail Base and the carrier. That was enough for the setup to be there successfully functional and firm for 6 years.



Don't know how much cost today the pricey Touratech Mounts, but the OEM RAM mount is about u$30/u$40... just in case this could be of interest.
Cheers!
__________________
CanadianViking
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
2009 BMW K1300R
2005 Road King Classic
CanadianViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #7613
CanadianViking
Adventurer
 
CanadianViking's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 10
I picked up the panniers at my local KTM dealer, they ran $480 each. Not quite as expensive as the sport panniers for my BMW K13R, but just about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your panniers, and how much did they run? Thanks!

Ken
__________________
CanadianViking
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
2009 BMW K1300R
2005 Road King Classic
CanadianViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #7614
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bigboyxl's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Czech republic - Ukraine
Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianViking View Post
I picked up the panniers at my local KTM dealer, they ran $480 each. Not quite as expensive as the sport panniers for my BMW K13R, but just about!
that's a huge load of money...
__________________
KTM LC4 640 Adventure 2006 KTM 530 EXC 2011
KTM LC8 1190 Adventure
www.alburmoto.com
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #7615
deepfreeze
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 32
2001

Finally had some energy to install Vapor to replace the crappy original Tripmaster. It sometimes worked but usually not...

I checked the prizes from TouraTech for a new unit and instead decided to use TrailTech Vapor.
Its small enough to go inside the original box and it has some nice features. Now I can see the engine temp, outdoor temp, real speed etc..

And the prize is bargain.

S

picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8z08copgizvyvr/vapor.jpg

deepfreeze screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 07:20 AM Reason: picture link
deepfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #7616
Low594
Adventuring Creep
 
Low594's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze View Post
Finally had some energy to install Vapor to replace the crappy original Tripmaster. It sometimes worked but usually not...

I checked the prizes from TouraTech for a new unit and instead decided to use TrailTech Vapor.
Its small enough to go inside the original box and it has some nice features. Now I can see the engine temp, outdoor temp, real speed etc..

And the prize is bargain.

S

picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8z08copgizvyvr/vapor.jpg
I have been planning on doing this conversion to mine as well. How did the install go? What issues, if any, did you have?
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 AM   #7617
deepfreeze
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 32
2001 Vapor installation

It was actually easier than I thought.

When You remove the Tripmaster and take it apart - You´ll notice that Vapor fits inside the box tightly.

My friend made me a new cover from 5mm plexiglass and used the Tripmasters cover for dimensions. New cover has a Vapor-shaped hole in middle so You have access to Vapor buttons. If You paint the downside of plexiglass black You get nice looks too. Dont worry about water - Vapor is waterproof. Bottom of the Tripmaster-box You have to drill couple of more holes to get wires out and make one more for the Vapors reset-button. More about that later...

Under the dash is a handful of cables and connectors for Tripmaster - You get rid of them too Keep the tacho-wires intact.

Sensors and wires:

Power. You get power from the old wires.

Speedo. My 2001A used some kind of 3-wire sensor (Vapor uses 2-wire) and the thread size was like 8 or 10mm. I ordered a KTM sensor from Trailtechs catalog but it was obviously for some other model since it came with smaller threads. It was still better choice to work with, than the huge plastic flat-sensor wich is the Vapors "one fits all" solution. By carefully drilling trough the old sensor I managed to make room to fit Vapor-KTM sensor inside the old KTM-sensor. Some 2-component superglue and now it fits the old fastener. It,s neat too.

Temp. Lift the tank and placed the sensor in left side upper corner radiator hose. That is (as far as I imagined) easiest place and leads to shortest wiring too. The hose makes a tight curve there so to make it fit You have to be careful.
Now we get back to that Vapors reset-button. Once You have installed all the wires and sensors and You still have the dash open - You have to press the reset button once. That is related to temp-sensor. All other sensors work straightaway but temp-sensor needs this reset after You have connected it.

Tacho. Just use the ignition wire and wrap the sensor around it.

s
deepfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #7618
mxchamp
Registered Lurker
 
mxchamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
Oddometer: 1,400
Deep freeze!

You should do a write up with photos and full story to put on the index thread.

Then I will buy you a beer!!


Sent from my iPhone 4 because I am too cheap to buy the new iPhone 5!!
__________________
Ride safe!!!!
2001 KTM 640 Adventure R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #7619
Low594
Adventuring Creep
 
Low594's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze View Post
It was actually easier than I thought.

When You remove the Tripmaster and take it apart - You´ll notice that Vapor fits inside the box tightly.

My friend made me a new cover from 5mm plexiglass and used the Tripmasters cover for dimensions. New cover has a Vapor-shaped hole in middle so You have access to Vapor buttons. If You paint the downside of plexiglass black You get nice looks too. Dont worry about water - Vapor is waterproof. Bottom of the Tripmaster-box You have to drill couple of more holes to get wires out and make one more for the Vapors reset-button. More about that later...

Under the dash is a handful of cables and connectors for Tripmaster - You get rid of them too Keep the tacho-wires intact.

Sensors and wires:

Power. You get power from the old wires.

Speedo. My 2001A used some kind of 3-wire sensor (Vapor uses 2-wire) and the thread size was like 8 or 10mm. I ordered a KTM sensor from Trailtechs catalog but it was obviously for some other model since it came with smaller threads. It was still better choice to work with, than the huge plastic flat-sensor wich is the Vapors "one fits all" solution. By carefully drilling trough the old sensor I managed to make room to fit Vapor-KTM sensor inside the old KTM-sensor. Some 2-component superglue and now it fits the old fastener. It,s neat too.

Temp. Lift the tank and placed the sensor in left side upper corner radiator hose. That is (as far as I imagined) easiest place and leads to shortest wiring too. The hose makes a tight curve there so to make it fit You have to be careful.
Now we get back to that Vapors reset-button. Once You have installed all the wires and sensors and You still have the dash open - You have to press the reset button once. That is related to temp-sensor. All other sensors work straightaway but temp-sensor needs this reset after You have connected it.

Tacho. Just use the ignition wire and wrap the sensor around it.

s
Good stuff! When I first considered it, I contacted Trailtech and they advised a 75-100 would fit. Is that the one you used?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxchamp View Post
Deep freeze!

You should do a write up with photos and full story to put on the index thread.

Then I will buy you a beer!!


Sent from my iPhone 4 because I am too cheap to buy the new iPhone 5!!
X2
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #7620
deepfreeze
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Finland
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Good stuff! When I first considered it, I contacted Trailtech and they advised a 75-100 would fit. Is that the one you used?
X2
Sorry - cant find that product? Can YOu send me a link.

I used this:

http://www.trailtech.net/101-06.html

And that neede some modification as I said.
If You find the one with same threads it´s easier.

s
deepfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014