User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #2056
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 924
Thumb

Thanks for the terrific review - and it's great to hear that your install went well! The X-11 is at the top of difficult to install-in helmets.

In most helmets with shallow ear pockets, like the Shoei, I suggest compressing the hard Styrofoam in the manner you used. Many Shoei's have very shallow ear pockets but only 1-2mm of additional clearance is needed. The screwdriver handle method works for those, without a lot of effort. I've also used C-clamps to compress the Styrofoam in the X-11, since the entire piece comes out of the helmet. Lots more leverage, and faster than the screwdriver handle method

Having hard speakers that are right next to your ears is probably not ideal in any crash, as these are surely harder than foam pads or impact absorbing Styrofoam.

Thanks, again, for posting the review, and for your business .
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #2057
D2fly
D2

Oddometer: 34
They're good but...

Yes, the Sena SMH10 (I have the 10B) is a great little device. Functionality is great and the install is a snap with most helmets.

If you're a daily user of the Sena and you ride in wet conditions, you may want to beware however. Since June 2011 I've had one or both of my units replaced three times. I can only suspect that moisture is at least partially to blame. My units have suffered from what I'd call early demise, eventually either not charging or not powering up.

So far, and to their credit, Sena has replaced the units free of charge. Perhaps I expect too much of my gear, but these things aren't exactly cheap by most working folks' standards. I wish they were a little more robust in terms of their ability to fight the elements.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:05 AM   #2058
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,144
I've not had that issue, but only been in heavy rain with mine one time...........

You've got me thinking .....
Maybe a dab of silicon grease around the charge-port cap would not be a bad idea?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #2059
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 202
More than 1friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks Dan!
I have a buddy that needs a unit and was going to recommend the SMH5 due to (what I beleive) is a more robust design, adequate range and better price but wanted to be sure we'd be able to communicate!

Two of my friends started off with the SMH5 and loved them. One of them upgraded to an SMH10 and the other one didn't because he had a working unit and didn't want to spend the money to get a second. But, a little while later, I had the nerve to start riding and I picked up a SMH10. So, we can all talk to each other, but because my one friend only has the SMH5, we cannot conference with all three of us. When we were all three riding together with just two of us being able to talk at a time, we had to continually switch on and off with each other to laugh at the cager who pulled over to the side of the road in order to puke out his still moving car.

We often all ride together and it would be great if we could all 3 conference at the same time. So, if you think you guys might ever find a third friend, I would consider recommending the SMH10. If the two of you are completely friendless and always will be, the SMH5 should be fine!

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #2060
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 202
Not so complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Rover View Post
Wow, should this all be so complex? 2000+ posts on an intercom system, most reporting issues and getting into minutia of programming and pairing. Am I getting into a real headache here?

My sitch: I just got my bike, and am new to the site(obviously) and just want a little straightforward advice on a good BT communicator. I need to be able to pair with my Galaxy S3 for the phone, voice directions, and maybe some music in between. Occasionally will be 2up w the wife, so intercom use also(would be nice if it could detect when she was ranting and selectively shut off).

Looks like the Sena SMH10-11 or the Scala G9 are the 2 top of the line units.
It is clear that Sena has a big following on the forum, with lots of experienced and helpful users and a very engaged representative/vendor.
Is the Scala even in the same ballpark?
I think a big part of the reason for 2000+ posts on this is that the thread was started a couple of years ago and Sena has been great about listening to what users have to say about their products, and continually upgrading. If youre looking for a unit that is easy to pair and program, this is it. I am RIDICULOUSLY technologically challenged, and i have no problem using mine. But it is also capable of higher functionality for tech savvy riders, and comes with good instructions for getting through all of it.

I have had mine for a little more than a year. I commute with it, but have also done a 6 1/2 week trip to Alaska through a lot of rain. It has held up well, and I swear the battery life is still as awesome today as it was when I first got it. The unit is really easy to use, even with super heavy gloves on--the functionality of the jog dial is great. The BT is super clear, as is the intercom. I hear everything really well, even with some hearing loss in one ear. I have not used the Scala, so I can't compare them. But I can say the Sena is a great product.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #2061
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
...So, we can all talk to each other, but because my one friend only has the SMH5, we cannot conference with all three of us...
If one of the persons with the SMH10 is in the middle, the SMH5 only is connected to one other and three-way conferencing should work fine. On a recent trip, we had five SMH10s conferenced simultaneously, two of which were the early non-upgradeable versions which are not supposed to be able to do multi-way conferencing.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #2062
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluOfDenver View Post
Two of my friends started off with the SMH5 and loved them. One of them upgraded to an SMH10 and the other one didn't because he had a working unit and didn't want to spend the money to get a second. But, a little while later, I had the nerve to start riding and I picked up a SMH10. So, we can all talk to each other, but because my one friend only has the SMH5, we cannot conference with all three of us. When we were all three riding together with just two of us being able to talk at a time, we had to continually switch on and off with each other to laugh at the cager who pulled over to the side of the road in order to puke out his still moving car.

We often all ride together and it would be great if we could all 3 conference at the same time. So, if you think you guys might ever find a third friend, I would consider recommending the SMH10. If the two of you are completely friendless and always will be, the SMH5 should be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
If one of the persons with the SMH10 is in the middle, the SMH5 only is connected to one other and three-way conferencing should work fine. On a recent trip, we had five SMH10s conferenced simultaneously, two of which were the early non-upgradeable versions which are not supposed to be able to do multi-way conferencing.
+1. I was about to say the same thing. To have a 3 way conversation, it only takes one of the SMH10's to be able to host 2 others. So one of those could easily be an SMH5 or an older SMH10. I know we've had the older SMH10's synced in on a group conversation.

slartidbartfast, thanks for sharing your ability to do a 5 way conversation. I wondered if you could do this by daisy chaining them together like that.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #2063
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
SMH10 plug for Earbuds?

Sorry if this is a stupid redundant question. I am have a Scala 4 and want to use my own Shure ear buds and not the OEM helmet speakers. I say a Sena unit at a show and the sales rep said you can simply plug your own ear-buds into the unit and lose the helmet speakers. I am assuming that this is the MP3 Jack or is there a built in dedicated jack on the Sena that the Scala does not have?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #2064
CoolCarbon
By the Tay

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid redundant question. I am have a Scala 4 and want to use my own Shure ear buds and not the OEM helmet speakers. I say a Sena unit at a show and the sales rep said you can simply plug your own ear-buds into the unit and lose the helmet speakers. I am assuming that this is the MP3 Jack or is there a built in dedicated jack on the Sena that the Scala does not have?
Sena have a replacement helmet clamp for when you wish to use in-ear buds.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #2065
montanaman
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCarbon View Post
Sena have a replacement helmet clamp for when you wish to use in-ear buds.
Is that an additional cost or an option at purchase.? There site is not indicating any such option at least not in an obvious way. Should be a no brainer. There are people tearing apart and re-wiring their Scala's to eliminate the bad speakers. New versions of all these should include a jack for in ear's..
Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #2066
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Is that an additional cost or an option at purchase.? There site is not indicating any such option at least not in an obvious way. Should be a no brainer. There are people tearing apart and re-wiring their Scala's to eliminate the bad speakers. New versions of all these should include a jack for in ear's..
http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...icrophone.html

or

http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...icrophone.html

-dan
Old 11-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #2067
montanaman
Traveler

thanks. so the latest greatest version does not come stock with the out-put? 40 dollar upgrade.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #2068
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,816
I notice the new SMH10R looks like it uses a proprietary plug for the helmet speakers which is gunna rule out substituting your own/preferred earbuds.

Not sure of the wisdom of that.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview
farcall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #2069
CoolCarbon
By the Tay

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Not sure of the wisdom of that.
Agreed!

There's clearly a need/requirement for those of us that want to use in-ear or custom moulded so why not include it from the off....no wait, it may be a way to get more money out of us by sliding in an 'upgrade' a few months down the line like they did with the original...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #2070
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,245
Quote:
thanks. so the latest greatest version does not come stock with the out-put? 40 dollar upgrade.
It is not an upgrade. it is another version of their product, which is available in several configurations to fit your needs. A fixed boom mike, unattached mike, Speakers or earbuds. You choose. Get the one you need.