ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #18421
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
Yea Shoe Creek is hoot, not sure I would have done it with the water up like it is. I keep telling Eddy and Chuck we gotta do it, one of these days we are actually going to have to ride it. Maybe a Morton's Spring Fling advanced ride will be in order.

Shoe Creek + 1200GS with stock suspension, stock skid plate, and worn out Tourances = NAP But still a heck of a good time.

Poor stock suspension couldn't cope and I bounced off my line, then could get the traction I needed to power over a ledge. As a result I rolled back a few feet and plunked over, no harm no foal just good fun.

Reading this makes me feel better about my experience the day I was out with you, Dan, and Eddy. I'd had no problem on surfaces like those photo'd before, but then again I had TKCs on the bike on such occasions whereas the day I was out with you I had Tourances on the bike, plus stock suspension that I hear can be much improved upon. Ever since that experience I've been mulling around how to proceed next: invest in an off-road course where I'm instructed in a controlled environment on technique on a "big" bike vs. invest in suspension upgrade and continue doing what I've been doing vs. buy a small dirt bike and keep doing what I've been doing vs. some combo of the above. There is probably no wrong choice, as any of the above would result in progress. Meanwhile, I'm thinking I want to finally get a skydive in.

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #18422
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 957
Rte

I guess the next RTE needs to turn into a RTS (ride to shoot), better known as a RTE/S.

Andrew ... In regards to Shoe Creek and the big GS, I'm in AFTER I convert to a set of TKC's or that new Heidenau. Big Levels maybe but not Shoe Creek. We sure thought about you Sat. Missed you. I think I'm going to start out with Ohlins on the front only then save up for the rear. A good skid plate however is a must. Ask Dan and Todd!! Touratech has a good one but with the kind of riding your doing you may want to upgrade to the ALTRIDER.

Brenda .... Linda and I are doing a 5K in NOVA this Sat. Will Sunday work?
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #18423
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
I guess the next RTE needs to turn into a RTS (ride to shoot), better known as a RTE/S.

Andrew ... In regards to Shoe Creek and the big GS, I'm in AFTER I convert to a set of TKC's or that new Heidenau. Big Levels maybe but not Shoe Creek. We sure thought about you Sat. Missed you. I think I'm going to start out with Ohlins on the front only then save up for the rear. A good skid plate however is a must. Ask Dan and Todd!! Touratech has a good one but with the kind of riding your doing you may want to upgrade to the ALTRIDER.

That's basically what I did when I worked over near RIC. Carried my sammiches and firearm(s) over to Black Creek (about 10 minutes away) at lunch time. Popped holes and ate my lunch. Worked out great.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #18424
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
@Chuck, Sunday sounds great!

@Todd, ride dirt Saturday, unless you and Nicole want to ride to jump on Sunday? Will give you a call this evening...

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #18425
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Looks nice.

I put this one on one of my latest creations.

First one I built a couple of years ago I put an EOTech 512 on it. Little pricey, but a damned nice "scope."

Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #18426
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
...Black Creek (about 10 minutes away)...
Looks to be super close to me....gonna have to go check it out

Guy - We'll have to chat about AR's...I'm torn between adding a flat top upper to my Colt or building another complete rifle....
yesterday I just impulse purchased to get something going.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"

Michhub screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 08:38 AM
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #18427
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
@Todd, ride dirt Saturday, unless you and Nicole want to ride to jump on Sunday? Will give you a call this evening...
Details, I want to get out this weekend. Friday I start with 11 days off in a row. I want to use some of it to go riding at least.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #18428
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 571
Quote:

Guy - We'll have to chat about AR's...I'm torn between adding a flat top upper to my Colt or building another complete rifle....

here is the menu at Colonail....food my Mosaic...very good!!!

http://mosaicedibles.com/pdf/mosaic-...cials-menu.pdf

Sic Semper Tyrannis screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 09:24 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #18429
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,011
Excitement on Rt 250 yesterday

Glad I wasn't riding that road yesterday. http://www.newsleader.com/article/20...10007/1002/rss

Hope yous guys who rode to Bluegrass yesterday for the Buckwheat cakes missed all this.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #18430
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:

Mike,

You should go over sooner than later and get the details on becoming a member. The regular memberships 7 day-week memberships are limited to 850 members and the 5 day week memberships there is no limit this year. The Regular Memberships go quick. I have already renewed my membership for next year.

Regular membership is $150/yr and $25 more if you add an associate member-family member, etc. The 5 day membership I believe is $100/yr. $25 for associate member. Must be an NRA member to belong and also must endure the KC Range Talk-tour. KC Young is the owner of the range.

To shoot Steel on the 3rd Saturday of the month you do not need to be a member and to shoot on Wednesday on the modified IDPA no need to be a member although both require a small fee to participate.

So, when is the RTS?

jh

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #18431
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Did your Colt come with large take down pins, or the smaller mil-spec variety? If the former, you'll need to find an upper that is compatible, or get a large-to-small pin adapter.

Ordered all of my uppers as flat-tops with rails for more flexibility when mounting optics. Ordered the first one with a detachable carry handle with iron sights and added a rail adapter later. I eventually pulled that off when I added the EOTech. Finally added a 1" riser to bring it up to my eye height. Also use risers on ones I'm going to put a "real" scope on. Don't think the Barska is going to need one; it's perfect for me now.

Original carry handle with adapter:

Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #18432
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Mike,

You should go over sooner than later and get the details on becoming a member. The regular memberships 7 day-week memberships are limited to 850 members and the 5 day week memberships there is no limit this year. The Regular Memberships go quick. I have already renewed my membership for next year.

Regular membership is $150/yr and $25 more if you add an associate member-family member, etc. The 5 day membership I believe is $100/yr. $25 for associate member. Must be an NRA member to belong and also must endure the KC Range Talk-tour. KC Young is the owner of the range.

To shoot Steel on the 3rd Saturday of the month you do not need to be a member and to shoot on Wednesday on the modified IDPA no need to be a member although both require a small fee to participate.

So, when is the RTS?

jh
LOL!

Mine went in the mail the day after I got it.

Should also add that you can shoot as a guest for some minimal fee. Used to be $5.00, but not sure what it is now.

RTS: Will have to drag the trailer if I'm taking any long guns. Have done that plenty of times.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #18433
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
I did some googling trying to find news on that group of sport bikes with the wreck on 56 Saturday. Didn't find it. Anybody know more info on that? Hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #18434
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I did some googling trying to find news on that group of sport bikes with the wreck on 56 Saturday. Anybody see any more info on that? Hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked.
Linky??

Didn't hear anything about it.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #18435
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I did some googling trying to find news on that group of sport bikes with the wreck on 56 Saturday. Didn't find it. Anybody know more info on that? Hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked.
Don't quote me but I think Todd said the rider was covered over when they passed through.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote