Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #1381
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,711
Looks like a mechanical front brake to me.
I guess you could ride it but my knees would be up in the air above my butt.
It is a well done job for sure.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #1382
Duelsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Beuatiful bike, but it looks like the only "W" part is the motor!
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Duelsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #1383
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,636
That phat front tire will change the handling. For better or worse, don't know, but suspect it will change the turn-in considerably.

You're right--the paint work is gorgeous--takes a real artist to execute like that. You're also right--your ass will be somewhere around your ankles. I'm too dang old for that stuff . . . .

Yeah, boring, I know . . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #1384
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
GB,
Is that your W? Very nice job but way too extreme for me. IMHO, unless I had a wrecked W I would leave it original but to each his own.
I'll be back in SWFL for the winter soon so maybe we can have another W meet up say half way across the Alley.

Unfortunately that isn't my bike. It was built by Gravel Crew; one of my favorite custom motorcycle shops out of Japan. Not sure I could bring myself to chop a perfectly good W either but I do think that it's a fine example of what a custom W can look like. Me? I would ride that thing across the country but I can admit that a choice like that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

I don't currently own a W but I would love to tag along an a group ride even if it is just to be "camera bitch".
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #1385
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

What? No W issues? I'm back in SWFL for the winter. How about a W650 get together in South Florida sometime soon? Bike week?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #1386
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Looks like you've got lots of camping space . . . .

Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #1387
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 898
Although my W650 runs good (16,000 miles on the clock) it suffers from the standard set-up running LEAN

Now this is no real BIG deal - I bought the bike to use as a daily rider, no fuss - but as I've a long history of modding & building bikes I wanted to get it running clean and sweet as possible.

The emissions crap was removed soon as I got the bike, along with the tool kit which is prone to restricting the airbox. I don't intend to mess with different pipes or air filters as I just want to ride this baby. Soooooooo, I went ahead and got a JET KIT off "6 Sigma Racing" via eBay.

The great thing about you Americans is that anything related to engines & power is where its at

Anyhow, this weekend I intend to give the bike a full going over - new plugs, oil & filter, set valve clearances and fit the JET kit - so if anyones interested how it turns out..... I'll be doing a report with a few photo's chucked in. This won't be a full talk-thru' with "how to remove the fuel tank" - coz if someone can't do the simple bits, they should NOT be messing about with valves and carbs

Gonna be getting stuck in tomorrow.......... LATER
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #1388
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Cool. Look forward to your results.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #1389
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Pigford,
Is a before and after dyno run possible? Or a 0-60 MPH stop watch timing comparison? Also before and after MPG numbers?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #1390
Pigford
British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Pigford,
Is a before and after dyno run possible? Or a 0-60 MPH stop watch timing comparison? Also before and after MPG numbers?

Errrrrrrrr, No............. No............. Yes

Just to reiterate - this is just to get a sweeter running bike - not for performance, as this bike ain't built for that, so even if it is a bit slower, thirstier, I'm not too worried, so long as it feels better.

This afternoon I changed the plugs to Denso Iridium (IU24) and whilst doing that noticed the HT leads were loose in the HT caps So I swapped them out for some decent copper wire silicon leads.

The 6 Sigma jet kei came with a set of 6 x small shims (washers) and 2 x plastic shims for the needles - larger pilot jets,2 x #38 - and 3 x pairs of main jets, 122.5, 127.5, 132.5 - also a couple of drill bits to remove the pilot screw cap and drill an additional hole in the slide (for faster movement) plus a few pages of instructions.

I fitted the 38 pilot jets (standard is #35), set the pilot screws to 3-turns out (was 2.25) and fitted the 122.5 mains instead of the standard 113's.

Whilst all this was off I checked the valve clearances and they were all within limit, except the r/hand exhaust which were both a bit over 0.20mm. Clearances tend to close up over time, as the seat/valve face wears, so I'll leave them as this is better than too tight.

I did take some photo's - but my camera phone has gone wrong and only saved the above photo

Couple of tips:

1; The coil needs removing to get the cam cover off.......

2; When taking the cam cover off - apart from going carefully so as not to damage the rubber gasket.... there are 2 x location pins at the rear - be careful they don't fall out and get lost (or fall in the engine).

I did have one bit of hassle.... The front bolt holding the gear cover on was corroded and sheared off...... so I had to drill it out. I was very careful and working my way up in drill bit sizes and managed to re-tap the thread to clear the remains of the drilled bolt and alls good - so I use lots of Copperslip on re-assembly

Dark and cold by the time I'd finished so will be carrying out a "seat-of-the-pants" test ride tomorrow !

Pigford screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 12:39 PM
Old 11-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1391
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 535
Hi everyone! I just picked up a 2000 W650 two weeks ago! It had 7022 when I bought it from my neighbor.

Hipstergram pic!

GoonerYoda screwed with this post 11-11-2012 at 05:32 PM
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #1392
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Sweet bike! Welcome to the zoo . . . .

Old 11-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #1393
Pigford
British

Thumb

OK - just been on a test ride after fitting the 6-Sigma jet kit................. I can confirm that it does what is says on the tin

RECAP: I fitted the 38 pilot jets (standard is #35), set the pilot screws to 3-turns out (was 2.25) and fitted the 122.5 mains instead of the standard 113's & 2 x metal shims under each needle.

Starts easy, can shut choke off much quicker and idles nice and sweet. I set the pilot screws to 3 x turns out, so may need some fine tuning, but not far out.

Bike picks up better and holds part-throttle much nicer - more willing and smoother. Acceleration is about the same, but the bike feels more at ease and glitch-free

As the bike is still standard (air filter & pipes) the top end (full throttle), although smooth enough, feels a tad "fluffy" ..... but it may be my imagination as I've only done around 10 miles - mainly town riding

Will report back when I've managed a few hundred miles and done an accurate mpg check
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #1394
929bladerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Question

I just bought a nice, low mileage 2004 model, nice bikes - I would upload a photo but can't remember how?
929bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #1395
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by 929bladerunner View Post
I just bought a nice, low mileage 2004 model, nice bikes - I would upload a photo but can't remember how?
Host it on www.tinypic.com
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote