Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #76
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsVW View Post
Thank you!

Tonight I put the carbs on. Probably the biggest pain in the butt since I started this reassembly. Probably has something to do with 40 degree rubber boots and those carbs are pretty tight in between frame and engine.

Also, anyone have pictures of the hose routing for carbs and/or throttle cable routing? I made my best guess, but since I didn't disassemble, I may be wrong... Exhaust is next!
Congrats.

There is (I think) a general cable routing diagram in the XL600 manual (Honda Factory) that shows a front view of the cables' general positions. The clutch is easy, then the decompression ends up being trial-and-error (especially where the position of the lever on the bars is concerned, I liked it on the low side under the clutch, as far toward center as it can go), and the throttle twistgrip is positioned with the cable outlets on top rather than on the front side, this leaves the room for the the kill switch to be facing towards the rider like a clock face. Whatever way you can route them with the least amount of interference with each other or binding when steering ends up being correct. Get comfortable and play with them in this regard before tightening and closing it all up. Get it running and play with the bars with the cowl off and as much stuff apart. It becomes very difficult to decide if it is 'as-it-came-from-the-factory' in regards to all of the cables' positions. Just has to meet the above criteria. Do look for that Honda Factory manual illustration though, and there is a link to a free .PDF manual somewhere in The XL600 thread.

Before I forget: yes, the carbs are a pain to fit to the intake manifold and airbox boots on this bike. The one thing that helped ease the pain for me was to remove the airbox bolts and pull the airbox as far back as possible, then to push the whole thing forward as I applied the airbox boots to the rear of the carbs. It frees up substantial space. Another trick I was advised of, but never learned to apply in practice was the use of brake fluid, yes, brake fluid, not brake cleaner, to the airbox rubber boots to soften them up to more of their original condion and flexibility. Definitely seems worth a shot. Even after they're fitted, could prove useful as a rubber conditioner.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 02:06 AM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #77
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,064
A heat gun on the intake boots make the carbs slip on super easy. Softens up those decades old rubber bits.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #78
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
almost there

A great weekend with wifes birthday and the visiting of friends!
Bike report:
1. as of tonight: found (as I read ADVrider forums) that I had my banjo bolts in the small oil pipe reversed. So, spent a few minutes changing them over. gently kicked over the engine - oil pressure pushed oil out the top loosened banjo bolt! So, 1.5 quarts 20-w50 in the bottom, 1 quart in the top, and decent oil pressure is showing.
2. installed header. no probs. installed exhaust - oops! doesn't fit correctly. Looking closely at it, seems to be an exhaust for some kind of Honda 400. fits the header but no way fits the frame. Hmmm, I will call PO and see if he accidently gave me the wrong one. Anyone have original muffler for a cheap price? and/or, anyone need a 400 exhaust?

3. Install chain - nope. master link is missing 2 parts. Ok, no biggie, I'll go to the M/C shop some time this week.
4. Missing a bracket that holds large oil return line to the front of the frame - ebay?
5. missing manual compression lever (cable was taped to bars). ebay?
6. removed smelly old gas from tank, clean and examine on/off valve. good to go
7. install tank and fit seat. Turn the throttle over so cables are running out over the top. reroute the cables.
8. remove ugly stickers from the plastics using WD-40. No more number 126!
9. examine air filter. looks pretty pathetic. I think a new one should be ordered.
10. examine wiring: brake activator is held on by hose clamps? wiring is def. messed up in that area. Unplug/remove that and the tail light wires, which are just cut and dangling. Examine headlight wires. Look better, but the bulb is def. blown. Some future work will be necessary to get tail/brake/headlight to operate correctly.

11. Wait until next warm day and fire this thing up!
LandsVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #79
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsVW View Post
A great weekend with wifes birthday and the visiting of friends!
Bike report:
1. as of tonight: found (as I read ADVrider forums) that I had my banjo bolts in the small oil pipe reversed. So, spent a few minutes changing them over. gently kicked over the engine - oil pressure pushed oil out the top loosened banjo bolt! So, 1.5 quarts 20-w50 in the bottom, 1 quart in the top, and decent oil pressure is showing.
2. installed header. no probs. installed exhaust - oops! doesn't fit correctly. Looking closely at it, seems to be an exhaust for some kind of Honda 400. fits the header but no way fits the frame. Hmmm, I will call PO and see if he accidently gave me the wrong one. Anyone have original muffler for a cheap price? and/or, anyone need a 400 exhaust?

3. Install chain - nope. master link is missing 2 parts. Ok, no biggie, I'll go to the M/C shop some time this week.
4. Missing a bracket that holds large oil return line to the front of the frame - ebay?
5. missing manual compression lever (cable was taped to bars). ebay?
6. removed smelly old gas from tank, clean and examine on/off valve. good to go
7. install tank and fit seat. Turn the throttle over so cables are running out over the top. reroute the cables.
8. remove ugly stickers from the plastics using WD-40. No more number 126!
9. examine air filter. looks pretty pathetic. I think a new one should be ordered.
10. examine wiring: brake activator is held on by hose clamps? wiring is def. messed up in that area. Unplug/remove that and the tail light wires, which are just cut and dangling. Examine headlight wires. Look better, but the bulb is def. blown. Some future work will be necessary to get tail/brake/headlight to operate correctly.

11. Wait until next warm day and fire this thing up!
#4, Photo please? I may have it.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #80
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
#4, Photo please? I may have it.

Do you mean a picture of the bike, or the wrong muffler. or both? Muffler bolts on to the header pipe but in no way connects to where the mount is on the frame. I'll get the part number off it too. I'll take one this evening. Thanks! L

oops, you mean the clamp. LOL. ok, i'll get a photo on line somewhere, or a part number.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #81
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is number 6 and/or 7 depending... Since I don't have it I don't know which version I had, but I'm assuming they're

interchangeable?
Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #82
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

am I allowed to use a copyrighted picture? never even thought of that... sorry...
Old 11-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #83
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,064
It's part #7

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #84
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

I think # 6 is for the oil line and #7 keeps the crank position pickup coil off the hot exhaust. That's the one that has somewhat of a length of a protective sleeve built in. The other one just has a simple rounded loop shape built in to go around the oil line. No wait, I have one that does both of those jobs and has both features. I could guess it to be #7. I just took it out of the box. Yours cheap or for the cost of shipping. You wouldn't happen to have a cam in ok shape would you?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #85
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
I think # 6 is for the oil line and #7 keeps the crank position pickup coil off the hot exhaust. That's the one that has somewhat of a length of a protective sleeve built in. The other one just has a simple rounded loop shape built in to go around the oil line. No wait, I have one that does both of those jobs and has both features. I could guess it to be #7. I just took it out of the box. Yours cheap or for the cost of shipping. You wouldn't happen to have a cam in ok shape would you?
I PM'd you about the bracket...

Oh, the muffler I have is this: Honkcy0400 which translates to 1996-2004 XR400R.
I actually might make it work if I modify the bracket that attaches it to the frame toward the back.

It will work for now anyway.

Might attempt a start tonight? at least for a moment, w/o chain on it etc.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #86
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tonight I went out and dumped some 92 octane in the fuel tank. I kicked it quite a few times with various choke combinations. It actually put put putted a few times, but nothing consistent. Maybe a little cold still with the thicker oil, carbs have been dry for a long time and may be cruddy. 'course I could have the dreaded failing stator, but I did pull the plug and have a decent looking blue spark. (The plug looked dry too, so that could be an indication of lack of fuel rather than lack of spark). The compression feels very good as well. I can pretty much stand on the starter when it gets to the the compression stroke. I don't have a manual compression release lever, so am relying on the automatic one to work, so there may be an issue with that too. Anyway, the few times it chugged over I felt encouraged. Tomorrow night I'll try again and see what happens.:)
Old 11-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #87
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,529
Turn your idle up a half turn first. Kick it through with the compression lever in and the throttle open 5-6 times. Then, give it a go. My 86 is cranky when cold, as well. Hot, it's money, but cold, not so much.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #88
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

got my ebay decompression lever installed as well as my chain link installed. Found out that the two bolts that hold on the drive sprocket retainer are missing. figure a trip to the hardware store tomorrow and that will take care of it.

Lessee, adapting the wrong muffler, although I think it will work, install the shift lever, install front sprocket guide/protector, install the skid plate, tighten up the seat, install right plastic side cover, and I may be able to get this beast out of the garage for a startup tomorrow!
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #89
LandsVW OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It Lives!

It started! I finally sprayed a little starting fluid in and it fired right up. After the initial start, it started better and better each time I kicked it. Finally, it would start very nicely first kick every time. Idle was smooth, and ran through the gears no probs! Scary fast! But very smooth feeling. Engine sounds good, doesn't smoke, no weirdness although has a kind of whine to it? Maybe this is normal? I dunno, didn't sound quite the same as my DR350 did.

Here is what I have left as far as I know:

Muffler - adapt and the baffle. I need a baffle that would fit a 400 muffler
headlight (bulb is burned out)
bend brake lever straight or get new one
chain adjust nuts (little nuts hold the adjusters tight)
change oil and filter 1 more time
tighten shift lever (a little wobbly on the shaft, may have to cut the lever slit a little wider)
grease suspension
tail light? doesn't have one...
seat cover
fuel line and tank overflow line - crappy and missing
oil and adjust chain
tires: 5.30-17 and 3.0-21 (both worn but hold air)
reinstall right plastic cover
clean and oil air filter (or buy a new one)

That's my bike! Now all the details to get it ready for next spring and the highways and biways of Oregon.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #90
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
pics and a vid of it running! sorry its required

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote