Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #31
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Says the guy who just bought a Husky 310???
I got worried I would break the wr with all the hard trail riding I was doing on it and because it is my daily ride (90miles a day) and my wife and I ride a lot on the road together. I couldnt put only off road spec. parts on it. Like full on knobbies, 47 tooth rear, wel I guess that is it but I dont want to replace the tires all the time and like my 60 mpg. I will still off road the wr but just wont be dropping it 5-10 times a weekend. You have to keep in mind I ride 50-100 miles of tight single track a weekend. Plus 10-20 miles a week day. Hell up to 20 miles of trail make up the 90 mile round trip to work. For example I hit a creek crossung this last sat and the bike flipped end over end. The front end was all out of wack. It was easy to fix fit if it had been worse I might not of had a ride to work on monday. withthe txc 310. If i fuck it up to bad it can sit a few days and it wont cost me vacation time or sick time for that matter.
BTW: 2012 wr250r forsale. never wrecked, never jumped, all highway miles $6499.99 pm me if you are interested
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
+1...... Best Enduro/DS per Dirt Rider, CWorld mags. A tested engine. Good fuel economy and big fuel tanks available. Stay away from Bergs. They change their engine designs non-stop. For 2013 it is back upright again and all re-designed.
Neduro just started a thread about his new 500. He's at the end of his break in phase and is only getting 29.5 mpg and he stated that he was taking it easy on the bike. Anybody have advice for him or is that what others are seeing. Sub 30 mpg is not what I'd call good fuel economy...

Here's the quote:

Quote:
So I believe the usable capacity of the 500 is 2.2 gallons. I'd heard a variety of figures, thought I'd post my experience as a baseline.

Now, what remains to be seen is why I got 29.5 miles per gallon (I was even being somewhat nice, during break in), when that is so far from what I got on the 450.
Here's his thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834105
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #33
Subaru297
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
My vote would be for the 500EXC based on your criteria. I currently have a 530 and a friend with a 690. The 530 is better everywhere except maybe the highway. But even on the highway I can cruise faster than him. The EXC has a wider ratio transmission I believe.

The only advantage to the 690 would be the maintenance issue. My friend and I have drag raced a few times on pavement and the bikes are pretty much dead even. He does usually pack more stuff than I do though so I certainly have a bit of a weight advantage. His is also a 2008 so the newer one does have a larger engine too.

Maintenance is also much easier on the 530. Just like any other dirtbike. The few things I have helped with on the 690 showed me how frustrating it is to work on.

I also have a WR250X and it is a great option as well but just not as smile inducing as the 530. It is not any more comfortable either after upgrading the 530's seat. Both bikes have seat concepts seats.

From my limited experience on a Husky I would avoid them if you want to do any highway travelling. Short spaced tranny and vibey.

Cheers
Subaru297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
From my limited experience on a Husky I would avoid them if you want to do any highway travelling. Short spaced tranny and vibey.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I agree!
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #35
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,795
The Huskys are neat bikes...........But KTM's have become so prevalent that the after market supports them more then most any dualsport thumper out there,virtually any trick thing you might want or need is already being built and sold.
This alone makes them a great choice,all bikes get personalized,lotsa choices on the orange bikes.

+ They work great and KTM is dead serious about making them better each year.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider11 View Post
The TE630 is about 20 pounds heavier, and makes less hp. I find that the TE630 is more street oriented.
The 630 has longer travel ~9" vs ~13", no issues with its FI, and I do not believe it is any heavier dry. I would rather be on the 630.

I love my te630. I did a lot of thinking on this subject. I wanted something lighter than my 950, something that could still maybe do some easier single track for a newb like me, something without a ton of maintenance I could easily ride to work as well, and still would let me own ONE BIKE TO DO THEM ALL since I am extremely space restricted here.

With the 630, I think I made the right choice. It is a jack of trades, and not a underachieving pile of one either. It is pretty well above average at everything and that is exactly what I wanted. I have enjoyed every minute of it so far. Intervals are good, feels like a feather compared to my 950 , and still has power to put smile on my face. Tranny is pretty wide too, much more so than the 511 sort. I feel comfortable on the highway... as much as I can in this death trap.

I have however considered going even smaller and am considering looking into a Christini 450 DS if I do (they are even based out of Philly where I currently live) but am unsure what the maintenance is like or if the tranny will be a close ratio chore...

however... if anyone could put that AWD shiz on my 630... I think a two wheel drive 630 would be even better than CJs AWD 950 :P, think the 600 mid sizers would be excellent with that shiz.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxrider11 View Post
The 2012 KTM 690 Enduro weighs in at 313 pounds, and makes 66hp. Replace the stock exhaust cannister, and you will lose another 5-6 pounds.

I have no complaints with the 690 in the single track. The great suspension, high ground clearance, and low 1st gear tackles the tight stuff pretty good. Tire choice and tire air pressure play a big role in the tight trails.

I have also been averaging 50+ mpg dualsport riding with the 690, which gives it a 150+ mile fuel range on the 3.2 gallon take.

The TE630 is about 20 pounds heavier, and makes less hp. I find that the TE630 is more street oriented.

The TE610 is more comparable to the KTM 690 Enduro, but it only makes about 45-50hp.
You must have different singletrack where you live,Ive yet to see anyone on a 630/690/650 out on the singletrack here in nor cal.
A 2 stroke is too heavy sometimes,200's are preferable. Just thinking about riding a 300+lb bike on singletrack makes my body hurt. My 530 can be coaxed through but Id hate to slide it off the edge of the uglier stuff.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
The 630 has longer travel ~9" vs ~13", no issues with its FI, and I do not believe it is any heavier dry. I would rather be on the 630.

I love my te630. I did a lot of thinking on this subject. I wanted something lighter than my 950, something that could still maybe do some easier single track for a newb like me, something without a ton of maintenance I could easily ride to work as well, and still would let me own ONE BIKE TO DO THEM ALL since I am extremely space restricted here.

With the 630, I think I made the right choice. It is a jack of trades, and not a underachieving pile of one either. It is pretty well above average at everything and that is exactly what I wanted. I have enjoyed every minute of it so far. Intervals are good, feels like a feather compared to my 950 , and still has power to put smile on my face. Tranny is pretty wide too, much more so than the 511 sort. I feel comfortable on the highway... as much as I can in this death trap.

I have however considered going even smaller and am considering looking into a Christini 450 DS if I do (they are even based out of Philly where I currently live) but am unsure what the maintenance is like or if the tranny will be a close ratio chore...

however... if anyone could put that AWD shiz on my 630... I think a two wheel drive 630 would be even better than CJs AWD 950 :P, think the 600 mid sizers would be excellent with that shiz.
2 wheel drive on a 630 would add maybe 25lbs? That would be interesting. Lighter then a 950 but ...............