User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
gore-tx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
New Vespa 946

What a cool looking scooter! No idea about displacement size but it's probalby small. Will it make it to the US?...
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-is-beautiful/
Old 11-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Its a concept that is unlikely to ever see production in that form however the engine is in the new Vespa 125cc to 150cc available in Europe. If past behavior is anything to go by it will be here in a year or two.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
jrunberg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Hell for Leather confirmed the thing is coming. No idea what the price will be, however.
jrunberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
That IS the production model, Cheryl. Piaggio is giving that info out, and they're launching it next week in Milan.
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Its a concept that is unlikely to ever see production in that form however the engine is in the new Vespa 125cc to 150cc available in Europe. If past behavior is anything to go by it will be here in a year or two.
It was a concept at last years EICMA. But now it will be a production bike that will be revealed at this years show in a couple of days and it is going into production in a matter of weeks. Whenever it arrives to USA or (for me) to Australia is another matter... one thing's for sure: unless they price it completely silly, the demand will be huge!
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,845
It's a beautiful bike isn't it?
And aluminium too, I rekn that's good for about a 10-15kg weight loss.
AIR-COOLED!!!!! Onya Piaggio!
They should sell squillions of them if the price is similar to the LX range.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #7
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Well it does look like they are going into production with it which was not what folks had expected of the concept scooter. Speculation is that it will be a limited edition and that if it comes to the US it will have a whole bunch of bolt on crap required by US Department of Transportation in terms of turn signal pods front and back and be plastered with reflectors. Price is highly speculative but given the increased cost of aluminum over steel and its likely limited production the number I'm hearing bandied about is $7,000 plus. Its stylish but not practical at all and I really like my 250, a 125 or 150 won't be in my garage.

Here's the AU info http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-4677-vespa-946.aspx
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 144
It is beautiful! But a bit small for me. Taken from the text referenced above:

"The new motor is an air-cooled, fuel-injected 3-valve 4-stroke. It’s a 125 with 11.6bhp at 8,250rpm and 7.6lb/ft at 7,000rpm."

But should be great for around town or campus!
1974 CT90's (2)

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
gore-tx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
It is a production model: it will be powered by a 125cc. More pics and details here: (it's in French though)
http://www.scooter-station.com/Vespa...ant-infos.html
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Well it does look like they are going into production with it which was not what folks had expected of the concept scooter. Speculation is that it will be a limited edition and that if it comes to the US it will have a whole bunch of bolt on crap required by US Department of Transportation in terms of turn signal pods front and back and be plastered with reflectors. Price is highly speculative but given the increased cost of aluminum over steel and its likely limited production the number I'm hearing bandied about is $7,000 plus. Its stylish but not practical at all and I really like my 250, a 125 or 150 won't be in my garage.

Here's the AU info http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-4677-vespa-946.aspx
They'd be insane to ask $7k for it here in the USA. The LX150 is $4,599. Even if they price it as a limited-run halo model I can't see it selling for much over five grand.
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,917
Wonder if they'll be making it in China, as some of their other small scooters, in an effort to keep the price down?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Wonder if they'll be making it in China, as some of their other small scooters, in an effort to keep the price down?
Piaggio does make some of their scooters in China. Many of the smaller Aprilias are made in China. Vespa is out-sourcing many components from China.

The people who drink the Italian cool-aid hate this, are in denial and don't even want to discuss it. I find it rather amusing.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,057
Hmm. Retro and modern at the same time. It looks good, until you see the original. It's amazing nobody can get anything right anymore. That's why I'm not ashamed to ride my Stella, it is more Vespa than a real late model Vespa is, it was inexpensive, as far as I know it does not have any Chinese parts on it, it is 100% made in India, and just like real Vespas USED to be, it is a manual shift 2 stroke.

And while the LX150 may be priced at $4599, it goes out the door for over $7K. My Stella was priced at $3500, but I got it new OTD for $3K. Something seems to be wrong with Vespa's math.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
seraph
asshole on a scooter

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
Piaggio does make some of their scooters in China. Many of the smaller Aprilias are made in China. Vespa is out-sourcing many components from China.

The people who drink the Italian cool-aid hate this, are in denial and don't even want to discuss it. I find it rather amusing.
Nothing's made anywhere anymore - which is to say everything is made all over. You can probably play "find the origin" with any motor vehicle manufacturer and it'll include China and Taiwan.

That said I do think most Piaggio, Aprilia, and certainly Vespa-brand bikes do have their final assembly in Italy. This would be easy enough to check by looking up their VINs (but, again, says nothing of the origin of their content parts...)
seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #15
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph View Post
Nothing's made anywhere anymore - which is to say everything is made all over. You can probably play "find the origin" with any motor vehicle manufacturer and it'll include China and Taiwan.

That said I do think most Piaggio, Aprilia, and certainly Vespa-brand bikes do have their final assembly in Italy. This would be easy enough to check by looking up their VINs (but, again, says nothing of the origin of their content parts...)
I believe Aprilias under 200cc are assembled in China. I have seen some with a made in China sticker.

The Piaggio Fly/ Typhoon are assembled in China.

Vespa has a manufacturing plant in India for the Asian market and is doing some manufacturing in Vietnam. Vespas for the US are assembled in Italy but with parts from many other countries. But its only a matter of time......

Heck the wheels on my Kymco are stamped made in Italy.

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/commu...n-vietnam.aspx

http://www.bikedekho.com/bike-news/p...-baramati.html

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 06:45 PM
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote