Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #211
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
Well, those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it...

I think Honda WANTS to repeat history with the new bikes- their early history where they became a market leader by efficiently producing quality, modestly priced motorcycles that appealed to a wide variety of riders and potential riders.
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #212
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
I'm feeling light headed.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #213
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,409
Moto-tapioca.

There's no innovation here. Nothing that raises the pulse. The non-Wings are closer to earlier Civics and Accords than the original Interceptor. The Wing, instead of BNG is BNB; bold new bodywork. Honda's approch is closer to Harley's than their own history: Resurrect the old, and re-wrap last year's stale sandwich.

Meh. Not *even* meh.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #214
JadeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
+1 sooo boring

-- John 1:4-5 | Luke 17:24
Old 11-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #215
oldenuf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
More blahblahblahh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Moto-tapioca.

There's no innovation here. Nothing that raises the pulse. The non-Wings are closer to earlier Civics and Accords than the original Interceptor. The Wing, instead of BNG is BNB; bold new bodywork. Honda's approch is closer to Harley's than their own history: Resurrect the old, and re-wrap last year's stale sandwich.

Meh. Not *even* meh.
Lots of innovation, quality machines. Really fun to ride.

Art
oldenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #216
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by surly357 View Post
I think Honda WANTS to repeat history with the new bikes- their early history where they became a market leader by efficiently producing quality, modestly priced motorcycles that appealed to a wide variety of riders and potential riders.

+1. I am still hooked on Hondas since my first ride on a MiniTrail at age 10 in 1970 or so.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #217
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuf View Post
Lots of innovation, quality machines. Really fun to ride.
And you've ridden how many of the six?

Seriously. Show me the innovation in the Wing. The CB1100 is clever, but the engine appears to be essentially the same lump from the CB900/750 days. I can understand the reskin of the CBR600RR as that market has contracted dramaticallly. But compare these to the introduction of the Ducati Multistrada, Streetfighter or Hypermotard. To any of the recent KTMs. To the K16 or the new Wasserboxer.

Things are tough in Japan both post tsunami and post global economic meltdown, but as nice as these bikes may turn out to be, I don't see that any of them will be particularly memorable, and certainly in no way landmark machines.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #218
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Where is the cb650,that looks like the cb1100?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #219
BEEF706
King of the dumb dab

Oddometer: 475
I have been looking for some signs of life from Honda, and this is a good start. I really would like to be riding red, but they haven't made a bike I wanted for a while. I have lust in my heart for the CB1100, I may have to break down and get a new bike this summer. If they follow this up with a new street legal CRF450X I could be back on big red all the time.
BEEF706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #220
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Like the NC700 series. It's a good option to have around that's not just another HP junkies wet dream. Just a decent practical easy to ride bike.

The F6B Wing seems like a step back to the more "sensible" era in that bikes evolution, even though it looks a bit fugly to me. I'm just waiting for a revolutionary 4 cylinder boxer again.

The CB1100 is the Honda Retro bike and if it's good enough for the Europeans to flog retro it's good enough for Honda AFAIK. Its a really good reproduction. Not trying to be a copy but a really good update.

I think Honda did well this year.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 AM   #221
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647
I dig all except the wing. Great prices, mpg, low weight, good looks etc etc.

I've been lusting for the NC700X (I have ridden one),but the 500x intrigues me. I'll have to ride one and see.

Hey Kraven, if you want a new Honda hit me up. I can sell you one for MSRP plus taxes or invoice plus $500. whichever one is the better deal.

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #222
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Hey Kraven, if you want a new Honda hit me up. I can sell you one for MSRP plus taxes or invoice plus $500. whichever one is the better deal.
Will do! Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #223
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Seriously. Show me the innovation in the Wing. Maybe one of the biggest segments in American touring motorcycles is the torquey geezer glide bike. So, they took an amazing engine and made one around it, effectively building a better American style tourer than the Americans can build. They've innovated the entire X-Glide class and effectively demoted all the paint shakers to fight for 2nd place while simultaneously recalling all those Valk fans they made a few years ago. And if increased sales indicate they could re-open the Maryville plant, so much the better.
Innovation doesn't mean you re-invent the wheel every time.

The CB1100 is clever, but the engine appears to be essentially the same lump from the CB900/750 days. It's not. It's a clean sheet design. The entire engine is a new design. Everything about it is better than the old CB 4's from cylinder plating to trans design to metals used. It's the best kind of walk down memory lane where the bike is better than the old ones it invokes.

I can understand the reskin of the CBR600RR as that market has contracted dramaticallly. It's more than a reskin.

But compare these to the introduction of the Ducati Multistrada, Streetfighter or Hypermotard. With the same old desmo tech? Oh, they me too'd the GS and the Sumo bikes, right! To any of the recent KTMs. Like the Super Dukes that sell in the dozens here? To the K16 Honda had the 6 cylinder touring bike first and still do it better. or the new Wasserboxer. Water jackets. Awesome new tech for 1910.

Things are tough in Japan both post tsunami and post global economic meltdown, but as nice as these bikes may turn out to be, I don't see that any of them will be particularly memorable, and certainly in no way landmark machines.
Don't be that guy. They've released a lot of cool new stuff and shown a corporate flexibility we haven't seen here in years. It bodes well for us all since the competition will have to respond.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 AM   #224
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Don't be that guy. They've released a lot of cool new stuff and shown a corporate flexibility we haven't seen here in years. It bodes well for us all since the competition will have to respond.
I think it's just cool to think the Europeans are doing all this new stuff.

It would be interesting if Honda released an updated CBX1000 across the frame 6 and see what the reaction is.

The Europeans have traditionally just released a motor and bolted different bits to it. Maybe some sell, maybe they don't but the advantage they have seems to be that people are prepared to pay big bucks because they are used to it.

The Japanese however seem to have to be made at a lower price point regardless. I wonder if Hyosung will have to be stuck in the "cheaper than the Japanese" place forever. Must be frustrating.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #225
kraven
Hegelian Scum

I think that's a fair analysis.
I would say that Honda has made its name in the US on build quality. They only escaped the price barrier by creating a luxury brand for the auto division, despite having superior vehicles relative to domestics.

Maybe they need an Acura bike division?

Hyosung and some of the Chi-com brands just need time to do exactly what Honda did to get a big presence: focus on quality at a low price point. I think it's only a matter of time til we see a Korean or Chinese brand selling big here.