Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Tromper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
..btw, it was low 40's this morning after a light rain overnight. Very brisk. I need warmer gloves and also went out and bought some long johns. TMI right?
In Pugetopolis I've been running with mesh pants or jeans with froggtoggs along for the ride if it gets nippy, they just take the wind off pretty much but that's generally enough for the sub hour rides long as the water is still liquid.

If going longer then longjohns are definitly a bonus. I recommend the smartwool ones if you can swallow the cost on 'em.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
scootertooter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
+1 on overpants, or actual motorcycle pants with removable liners.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I see cycle gear has some waterproof pants with a liner on sale for $90, I just figured I'd spend a few bucks at Target for the time being.

Also, I found out today that my tires were way underinflated. 18 front and 11 rear. I didn't check them when I got it since I figured the dealer would have done that. I noticed yesterday when I started going faster than 40 the ride was kind of funny.
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Very nice. Doesn't look much bigger than the Honda SH150i, and probably didn't cost anymore. My only concern is that it might be too small for the freeways, but I guess that depends on the freeway. Since you live in CA, you should be able to ride it all winter. I live in AZ, and winter, what there is of it, IS the riding season. Way to hot to ride in the summer. Enjoy it.
Its fine on the freeways, well it is if you get a windscreen otherwise you get a lot of buffeting. My husband rode ours out from Colorado to California last year so my son would have it at university. Topped out at 85-88 on I-15 coming down from Las Vegas to San Diego with temps in the 110f range.

It has been my son's only transport out there. It has also been the transport of choice in Houston for my brother's fiance. If she doesn't have to take her daughter with her on the scoot she hops instead of the SUV to carry around the 3 year old. Oh, and she keeps up on the freeway with my brother on his BMW 1200R (as long as he keeps it under 85 anyway) on the freeway.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, the windscreen in on my list. Puig right? I noticed at about 45, maybe 50 mph it gets very noticable.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Yeah, the windscreen in on my list. Puig right? I noticed at about 45, maybe 50 mph it gets very noticable.
I got a PUIG windscreen but I am just slightly too tall for it and the wind directly hits my ear drums and its much louded (even with ear plugs) then it was without the windshield :(

I am 6 foot and I got http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dproduct=55990
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ScootTour, do you use a full face helmet? I'm also 6' 1", so that is something I'll consider.

The more I ride it, the more I love it; sounds like everyone else. I did make a small, cosmetic change. I removed the rear fender extension, it just looks wrong.

Before:

After:

Baby steps...
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,709
Fender extensions look "wrong" on all scooters. The only way to remove the ugly ducktail on my Zuma 125 is to cut it off. The turn signals attach to the top part of it, and the thing is also used as a support to hold other parts of the body together.

When temps get down to below 32 degreesF, the only thing that works for me is leather, plus heated gloves, because I got frostbite in my hands 25 years ago from riding in a snowstorm without any gloves (long stupid story)

What year is your scooter? The only ones I can find are 2009 models. Since reading so many positive things about it, I have about decided on one as my "freeway legal" scoot.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #24
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2009 sportcity cube 250
Old 11-13-2012, 06:53 AM   #25
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,618
Mine came without the fender extension.

In case anyone is interested, I stopped by my Aprilia dealer (European Motorsports, Dahlonega, GA) on Sunday and they had a brand new 2008 Sport City 250 on the showroom floor. They are asking $3495.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,709
Is it safe to buy a scooter that old? I mean one year old is one thing, but I'd be worried about deterioration after 4-5 years sitting on the floor. I've seen new ones listed on their site, but no dealers seem to have them. Anybody know what's up?

Not looking for a cross country scooter, just something with limited freeway capability. The maxis are more than I can handle, I'd rather have a 750cc size motorcycle for long distance. Much less awkward feeling for me.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ScootTour, do you use a full face helmet? I'm also 6' 1", so that is something I'll consider.

The more I ride it, the more I love it; sounds like everyone else. I did make a small, cosmetic change. I removed the rear fender extension, it just looks wrong.

Before:

After:

Baby steps...
I do wear a full faced the vast majority of the time.
The wind noise increases with the screen and normally I wouldnt mind that much but I have read that wind noise is the leading cause of hearing loss on long term riding which is why its good to wear earplugs even with a fullfaced and even when not going fast which I do most of the time.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #28
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Is it safe to buy a scooter that old? I mean one year old is one thing, but I'd be worried about deterioration after 4-5 years sitting on the floor. I've seen new ones listed on their site, but no dealers seem to have them. Anybody know what's up?

Not looking for a cross country scooter, just something with limited freeway capability. The maxis are more than I can handle, I'd rather have a 750cc size motorcycle for long distance. Much less awkward feeling for me.
aprillia has a surplus of the 2009 models that have been sitting in wearhouses. Some are in better condition then others, mine was basically flawless but I have seen some in show rooms with exterior body parts not on well and even rust on some screws. I think its a valid concern but they are selling them pretty cheap to be fair.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #29
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

M1 License and some pics

I'm officially licensed in California now, woo hoo. I was a little nervous after the first few questions. I'm quite studious and found some of them not quite "covered" in the CA Motorcycle handbook, nor the MSF safety course.

I was even more nervous while taking the refresher (required) on my class C license. In the end, common sense ruled and I missed only 1 on each.

But still questions like 'You can be fined and spend up to 1 year in prison for which of the following?' Dropping a dead animal or abandoning a live animal on the highway, parking in a bike lane, parking in a Handicapped space. Or, what is the maximum sentence for repeat drinking and driving. Some crazy stuff line that.

On that note, it was kind of rainy here Friday and Saturday. I managed to get some local trips in. Here are a few pics. I guess eventually I'll start a ride report for sharing my hometown and the local area.

Oh, and I have some accessories on the way.

About 5 minutes from my house

It was still chilly and gray Sunday morning and the Park was empy but for me and a husband and wife taking a walk.

Oh, and 3 miles from my house, is this 3 mile stretch of road. Right along the San Joaquin River

The Mansion which was Kearney's home, is now a museum.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #30
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New accessories on the way

I got my top box the other week along with bar end weights (which proceeded to fall off on my first real excursion). The Puig windscreen should be here by Friday and I just ordered another set of bar end wieghts. Only one fell off so I'll have an extra should I ever need it. I also got some good advice as to how better install them.

I must say though, I'm really enjoying this thing. Had my first real ride the other day. A buddy of mine has a Suzuki GS500 so he took me on a ride he regularly does into the local foothills/mountains. We were going up to one of the local lakes, along the open widing roads but weather told us to turn back about 20 miles from our destination. The potential of an hour's ride home in rainy 40 degree weather didn't sound appealing. That's Ok, there's more to come I'm sure. I'll get some pics posted when the new stuff gets installed.

Thanks again for everyone who has posted about how much fun scootin' can be.