User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #76
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
KLRsys II

I'm about to start on the next KLRsys. I found a really clean 09 KLR with 748mi on it, and an equally clean 09 Versys with 1040mi. The Versys is coming apart starting tomorrow. My daughter has chistened the shop "The Slaughterhouse".

All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #77
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
I don't know, Calvin, what do you think? Beemer KilLeR? When is Barbie going to get a pair?
I don't know, maybe the name you have will be a good one. "KLRsys" has a good ring to it and it defines the bike.

I would love to do it to Barbie, wow then she would really be The Mighty KLR.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #78
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,826
Laugh Organ donor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRsys View Post
I'm about to start on the next KLRsys. I found a really clean 09 KLR with 748mi on it, and an equally clean 09 Versys with 1040mi. The Versys is coming apart starting tomorrow. My daughter has chistened the shop "The Slaughterhouse".

All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Hey, that's my girlfriend's Versys, about to have its heart and brain ripped out!!! Oh, No, Mr. Bill!!!

Seriously, I hope this leads to a successful enterprise for you, KLRsys. I think the idea of a twin-KLR is a terrific one, and your execution of the conversion is brilliant! It was a distinct pleasure meeting you, and you can bet I'll be down one day soon to view your "Laboratory" and progress, Dr. Frankenbike!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #79
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
I'm very interested to see what this costs you. I have an 09 that I would like to swap the engine. And I only live 60 miles from you!

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #80
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Hey, that's my girlfriend's Versys, about to have its heart and brain ripped out!!! Oh, No, Mr. Bill!!!

Seriously, I hope this leads to a successful enterprise for you, KLRsys. I think the idea of a twin-KLR is a terrific one, and your execution of the conversion is brilliant! It was a distinct pleasure meeting you, and you can bet I'll be down one day soon to view your "Laboratory" and progress, Dr. Frankenbike!!!

Dallara

~
Don't come too soon. I'm pulling the engine out of the 05 to take measurements and make a jig. Hopefully it will be back together in a couple of weeks. But please come, I look forward to it.

And don't worry, we're being gentle with the Versys dissection . My wife is the one working on it right now, pulling all the body work.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #81
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I'm very interested to see what this costs you. I have an 09 that I would like to swap the engine. And I only live 60 miles from you!

Yeah, I'm kinda interested in what it costs myself. Let me know if you're ever coming this way.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #82
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Very cool.

I'd bet that would be a good selling bike.......

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #83
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Last year I put a new motor in my dad's KLR after the engine chewed itself apart. I was surprised that the 2003 engine that I purchased was more expensive than the Versys engines that I was finding. I would bet that a solid KLR engine could be sold to cover the cost the Versys engine, and some of the modification work.

However, I can't recall if that price included throttle bodies and ECU or not.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #84
MiniMotard
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Chain position

Hi KLRsys,

I'm wondering if you've had any issues with the bottom of the chain dragging on the lower frame cross member (the one just below the swing-arm pivot)? When you have the engine sitting low enough to clear the bottom of the gas tank I've noticed that there appears to be the potential for the chain to rub on that lower cross member.

Thanks
MiniMotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #85
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The countershaft sprocket is at the same height as it was originally but a bit further forward. I haven't had any issues with chain drag but I'm sure the chain hits the rubber guide that's on top of the lower cross member at full extension, but that's why the rubber thing is there. I did have to dent the inside of the tank on the right side to clear the engine.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #86
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Just wondering why your starting with such nice bikes? And why not just buy a KLR and a Versys or Ninja motor and wiring harness and electronics off e-bay?
I liked your first build and think you do nice work. I have a Ninja 650 i made into a DS and have enjoyed riding it on and off road.
I would like to see someone take a KLX 450 or CRF 450 and put the Ninja or Versys motor in it. I think that would be the ultimate DS. It would be LIGHT, great suspension, dirt wheels, very good on road and able to ride on the interstate and did i mention LIGHT.
Will be watching your build.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #87
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Just wondering why your starting with such nice bikes? And why not just buy a KLR and a Versys or Ninja motor and wiring harness and electronics off e-bay?
I hope this doesn't come off as a smart-ass answer, but I started with nice bikes because I want to end up with a nice bike. I like getting a complete Versys because I hate shopping for parts, I know what I'm getting, I can test drive it, I know it all works, and by the time I sell off the leftovers, my net investment in Versys parts is probably less than I would have spent buying them all individually on Ebay.

I know there are lighter DS's out there but I chose to stick with the KLR because it suits how I ride. I'm not a hard core off-roader. I just want to be able to go down pretty much any road that looks interesting, but I also want to enjoy the ride between the offroad bits. I also don't want to have to think too hard about which bike to take on the next trip (I used to have a few different types in the garage). I want one that will do most anything I'm likely to ask of it.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #88
KLRsys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I pulled the motor to make a jig for the motor mounts. From this view it looks like an easy fit.

Alas, nothing but optical delusion.

I lost my original photos of the frame sans engine so here a few new ones.

Unfinished jig.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #89
BtoV
FNG

Oddometer: 300
Criky that's nice you should start building and selling them. I looked pretty serious at this engine swap a couple of years back and what put me off was a really nice engine and really flawed suspension.well done though as I have done engine swaps before and you are too humble by a bunch
BtoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #90
Krasniewski
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,215
Nice! I would guess that further down the road we may see many more KLRE's! Very exciting prospect.
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote