Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #14941
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
I started a thread to discuss hand guards http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840845. I think we need to break out these topics from the mega thread to make them easier for new owners to find. We probably need a Tiger 800 XC tire thread as well.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #14942
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
I started a thread to discuss hand guards http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840845. I think we need to break out these topics from the mega thread to make them easier for new owners to find. We probably need a Tiger 800 XC tire thread as well.
there are a million tire threads on here
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #14943
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Curious if anyone has any thoughts on the Hepco Becker rear rack vs. a Givi rear rack?

Hepco Becker are more expensive, but I've heard they're both pretty good. I'm first going to try to rig up my Kriega bags to them. If I can't get that to work, I'll probably get a couple seahorse cases.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #14944
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
So I've decided that I want an adventure tourer for my next bike, and have found myself poring over all the Tiger threads here. I have read several articles, seen many videos, etc. of the 800 xc, and I'm really, really digging on everything I see. It really does seem like it's the best bike for me for what I have in mind. Probably my biggest complaint is that since the bikes are so new, and everyone seems to love them so much, I haven't seen any on the used market. I've been trying to put any ideas of getting one on hold while I try to scrimp and save a bit, since it appears I'm going to have to get one new.

BUT, this being the end of the model year, I emailed my local dealership just to see if there was any discount for the 2012 models. As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes. I went for a test ride over the weekend, and though the ride was short, I found it highly enjoyable. I put down a deposit to get my foot in the door so I could think it over a bit.

So here I am a couple days later, and its pretty much all I can think about. I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

Before this weekend, I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to wait until next year some time to pick one of these up, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this, since it seems like it'd be unlikely I'd see a similar deal until this time next year. I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken in that though. Thoughts?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #14945
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
So I've decided that I want an adventure tourer for my next bike, and have found myself poring over all the Tiger threads here. I have read several articles, seen many videos, etc. of the 800 xc, and I'm really, really digging on everything I see. It really does seem like it's the best bike for me for what I have in mind. Probably my biggest complaint is that since the bikes are so new, and everyone seems to love them so much, I haven't seen any on the used market. I've been trying to put any ideas of getting one on hold while I try to scrimp and save a bit, since it appears I'm going to have to get one new.

BUT, this being the end of the model year, I emailed my local dealership just to see if there was any discount for the 2012 models. As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes. I went for a test ride over the weekend, and though the ride was short, I found it highly enjoyable. I put down a deposit to get my foot in the door so I could think it over a bit.

So here I am a couple days later, and its pretty much all I can think about. I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

Before this weekend, I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to wait until next year some time to pick one of these up, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this, since it seems like it'd be unlikely I'd see a similar deal until this time next year. I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken in that though. Thoughts?
That sounds like an awesome deal. Better you actually save another 500 because they already did the break in maintenance!!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #14946
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 400
I've put 15,000kms on an ex-demo 800 with nil issues to date.

Bought with about 4,500kms on the clock.

Use it every day, serviced and maintained regularly.

Still enjoy it every time I ride it.

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #14947
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
What's the difference between the $10k bike and the $11k bike? Is one an 800 while the other an 800XC? $11k for an XC is a fair deal, but not great, considering it is a demo. I paid $11,400 for my new 2012 800XC.

Quote:

SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #14948
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
What's the difference between the $10k bike and the $11k bike? Is one an 800 while the other an 800XC? $11k for an XC is a fair deal, but not great, considering it is a demo. I paid $11,400 for my new 2012 800XC.
Then you had to pay another 500 for break in 500 miles later.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #14949
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:

I did? I thought it was $265
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #14950
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I did? I thought it was $265
Then you got a deal.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 10:12 PM
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #14951
chasmahtaz
n00b

Oddometer: 5
800 vs 800XC?

Hi, all ... Been on the boards for almost three hours, reading, really great stuff on here. I'm curious about the regular vs. XC debate. I'm very tall, almost 6'5" and I noticed the XC fits me better. I looked at T800s when they first hit the dealerships over a year ago and even test rode the non-XC version. It was awesome. Even handled well on chewed up LA highways :) I'm curious about rider's experiences on both. I'm thinking the non-XC version is the one for me, I guess it's a bonus that it's a bit cheaper. I want a nice touring road bike that can sometimes handle a fire road or the like.

Reading all your great posts on the XC are making me re-think this. I feel like you buy a bike this expensive it better be the one you want!

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.
chasmahtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #14952
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Hi, all ... Been on the boards for almost three hours, reading, really great stuff on here. I'm curious about the regular vs. XC debate. I'm very tall, almost 6'5" and I noticed the XC fits me better. I looked at T800s when they first hit the dealerships over a year ago and even test rode the non-XC version. It was awesome. Even handled well on chewed up LA highways :) I'm curious about rider's experiences on both. I'm thinking the non-XC version is the one for me, I guess it's a bonus that it's a bit cheaper. I want a nice touring road bike that can sometimes handle a fire road or the like.

Reading all your great posts on the XC are making me re-think this. I feel like you buy a bike this expensive it better be the one you want!

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.
Whatever all the cool kids have XC's.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #14953
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post

I'm not that tall, but the T800 was my primary interest as well, as a replacement for a Kawasaki Versys. What swung me to the XC was the plusher suspension and off-pavement capability without giving anything up for on-road performance. The XC is primarily a really good roadbike with a lot of added extras to make it a real adventure bike, so it became a no-brainer in the end. So glad I went that way. I just knew I would have kicked myself having gotten the roadie instead. The inmates I ride with all like to hit the dirt routes, so I have more aggressive tires to spoon on when we're going to do that. Otherwise it eats hiway miles like a champ.

If you're NEVER going to ride the bike off pavement then get the T800 with tubless tires and alloy wheels. It's a fantastic road bike. It will do smooth dirt as well, but the XC is just so much better for that kind of riding.

You really can't miss either way. The motor is a gem and the bike is really nicely designed and put together - great componentry.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #14954
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 280
Quote:

That's under 50% what I paid for mine new in 2011.
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:34 AM   #14955
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
You got ripped off. The break-in service is basically an oil change.

Many of us paid nothing for it besides the cost of oil and filter because we just did it ourselves.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote