User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Chipstick OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
BMW G650 X Challenge starting issue

Has anyone experienced X Challenge starting issues from cold ? Bike seems ok when warm. Tried usual stuff, change plugs, clean air filter, battery checked etc.
We have completed TAT and Oregon/Washington Cascades this summer, (7500 miles of dirt), with no problems, (no flats or any mechanical failures at all), until Washington state, when this cold starting issue appeared. Have started buying premium fuel to see if that was problem but no improvement.
Any ideas ?
Chipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
uechi58
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I had starting problems, but I traced it to the neutral switch. You may think the bike is neutral, but the switch thinks otherwise. Try putting up the kickstand and hold in the clutch. It works for me.
uechi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
This is a common problem, there is a recent xMoto thread on it as well. There seem to be a variety of potential causes; my bike seems very sensitive to battery voltage (ampage? whatever...); when the dash shows over 13, I seem to be good, when closer to 12, stalls all the time...
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 426
I am about to buy a 2007 Xchallenge. At the test ride it stalled half a dozen times until it warmed up. Anybody did a defintive fix on this? Elsewhere a advrider thread was talking about the carbon canister causing problems. Did removing it also fix the cold engine issue?

KP
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by khpossum View Post
I am about to buy a 2007 Xchallenge. At the test ride it stalled half a dozen times until it warmed up. Anybody did a defintive fix on this? Elsewhere a advrider thread was talking about the carbon canister causing problems. Did removing it also fix the cold engine issue?

KP
That's the problem, there doesn't seem to be one single fix. Cleaning the IAC resolved the issue for some. Others had issues with a temp sensor and others seemed to be caused by the initial throttle position setting. The X-Challenge issue thread is the best discussion of it all, but no one size fits all solution.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
khpossum
poster

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
That's the problem, there doesn't seem to be one single fix. Cleaning the IAC resolved the issue for some. Others had issues with a temp sensor and others seemed to be caused by the initial throttle position setting. The X-Challenge issue thread is the best discussion of it all, but no one size fits all solution.
Thanks, that was quick. I just found http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483596 It discusses the issue and every possible solution.
khpossum is offline   Reply With Quote