ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > The British Invasion: Triumph Tigers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #14896
Xcountry-Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
I did? I thought it was $265
Then you got a deal.

Xcountry-Rider screwed with this post 11-12-2012 at 11:12 PM
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #14897
chasmahtaz
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 5
800 vs 800XC?

Hi, all ... Been on the boards for almost three hours, reading, really great stuff on here. I'm curious about the regular vs. XC debate. I'm very tall, almost 6'5" and I noticed the XC fits me better. I looked at T800s when they first hit the dealerships over a year ago and even test rode the non-XC version. It was awesome. Even handled well on chewed up LA highways :) I'm curious about rider's experiences on both. I'm thinking the non-XC version is the one for me, I guess it's a bonus that it's a bit cheaper. I want a nice touring road bike that can sometimes handle a fire road or the like.

Reading all your great posts on the XC are making me re-think this. I feel like you buy a bike this expensive it better be the one you want!

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.
chasmahtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #14898
Xcountry-Rider
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Hi, all ... Been on the boards for almost three hours, reading, really great stuff on here. I'm curious about the regular vs. XC debate. I'm very tall, almost 6'5" and I noticed the XC fits me better. I looked at T800s when they first hit the dealerships over a year ago and even test rode the non-XC version. It was awesome. Even handled well on chewed up LA highways :) I'm curious about rider's experiences on both. I'm thinking the non-XC version is the one for me, I guess it's a bonus that it's a bit cheaper. I want a nice touring road bike that can sometimes handle a fire road or the like.

Reading all your great posts on the XC are making me re-think this. I feel like you buy a bike this expensive it better be the one you want!

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.
Whatever all the cool kids have XC's.
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #14899
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Hi, all ... Been on the boards for almost three hours, reading, really great stuff on here. I'm curious about the regular vs. XC debate. I'm very tall, almost 6'5" and I noticed the XC fits me better. I looked at T800s when they first hit the dealerships over a year ago and even test rode the non-XC version. It was awesome. Even handled well on chewed up LA highways :) I'm curious about rider's experiences on both. I'm thinking the non-XC version is the one for me, I guess it's a bonus that it's a bit cheaper. I want a nice touring road bike that can sometimes handle a fire road or the like.

Reading all your great posts on the XC are making me re-think this. I feel like you buy a bike this expensive it better be the one you want!

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.
I'm not that tall, but the T800 was my primary interest as well, as a replacement for a Kawasaki Versys. What swung me to the XC was the plusher suspension and off-pavement capability without giving anything up for on-road performance. The XC is primarily a really good roadbike with a lot of added extras to make it a real adventure bike, so it became a no-brainer in the end. So glad I went that way. I just knew I would have kicked myself having gotten the roadie instead. The inmates I ride with all like to hit the dirt routes, so I have more aggressive tires to spoon on when we're going to do that. Otherwise it eats hiway miles like a champ.

If you're NEVER going to ride the bike off pavement then get the T800 with tubless tires and alloy wheels. It's a fantastic road bike. It will do smooth dirt as well, but the XC is just so much better for that kind of riding.

You really can't miss either way. The motor is a gem and the bike is really nicely designed and put together - great componentry.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #14900
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
So I've decided that I want an adventure tourer for my next bike, and have found myself poring over all the Tiger threads here. I have read several articles, seen many videos, etc. of the 800 xc, and I'm really, really digging on everything I see. It really does seem like it's the best bike for me for what I have in mind. Probably my biggest complaint is that since the bikes are so new, and everyone seems to love them so much, I haven't seen any on the used market. I've been trying to put any ideas of getting one on hold while I try to scrimp and save a bit, since it appears I'm going to have to get one new.

BUT, this being the end of the model year, I emailed my local dealership just to see if there was any discount for the 2012 models. As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes. I went for a test ride over the weekend, and though the ride was short, I found it highly enjoyable. I put down a deposit to get my foot in the door so I could think it over a bit.

So here I am a couple days later, and its pretty much all I can think about. I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

Before this weekend, I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to wait until next year some time to pick one of these up, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this, since it seems like it'd be unlikely I'd see a similar deal until this time next year. I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken in that though. Thoughts?
That's under 50% what I paid for mine new in 2011.
__________________
Lusting for: Currently Sated with the new XCx
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2015 Tiger 800 XCx -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster, 2011 800 XC
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #14901
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Then you had to pay another 500 for break in 500 miles later.
You got ripped off. The break-in service is basically an oil change.

Many of us paid nothing for it besides the cost of oil and filter because we just did it ourselves.

--mark
__________________
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '03 Honda XR650L / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #14902
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer
 
KildareMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: County Kildare, Ireland
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Then you had to pay another 500 for break in 500 miles later.
Are you having the oil filter replaced with a gold plated one or something???

Paid for oil & filter only for mine. Even my 20,000km service was cheaper than that.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #14903
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Central Florida
Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doofenshmirtz View Post
Then you had to pay another 500 for break in 500 miles later.

I paid $220. It only took 1.5 hours. You must go to one of those BMW/Triumph combo dealers.
__________________
__________
Jim
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #14904
fbj913
I ride
 
fbj913's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: KC MO
Oddometer: 2,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Hi, all ... Been on the boards for almost three hours, reading, really great stuff on here. I'm curious about the regular vs. XC debate. I'm very tall, almost 6'5" and I noticed the XC fits me better. I looked at T800s when they first hit the dealerships over a year ago and even test rode the non-XC version. It was awesome. Even handled well on chewed up LA highways :) I'm curious about rider's experiences on both. I'm thinking the non-XC version is the one for me, I guess it's a bonus that it's a bit cheaper. I want a nice touring road bike that can sometimes handle a fire road or the like.

Reading all your great posts on the XC are making me re-think this. I feel like you buy a bike this expensive it better be the one you want!

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.

Welcome to ADV. This should help...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816718
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #14905
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Lagunatic Beach
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
So I've decided that I want an adventure tourer for my next bike, and have found myself poring over all the Tiger threads here. I have read several articles, seen many videos, etc. of the 800 xc, and I'm really, really digging on everything I see. It really does seem like it's the best bike for me for what I have in mind. Probably my biggest complaint is that since the bikes are so new, and everyone seems to love them so much, I haven't seen any on the used market. I've been trying to put any ideas of getting one on hold while I try to scrimp and save a bit, since it appears I'm going to have to get one new.

BUT, this being the end of the model year, I emailed my local dealership just to see if there was any discount for the 2012 models. As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes. I went for a test ride over the weekend, and though the ride was short, I found it highly enjoyable. I put down a deposit to get my foot in the door so I could think it over a bit.

So here I am a couple days later, and its pretty much all I can think about. I'm wondering though, what people's opinions/experiences are with demo bikes? The bike seemed fine for what I got to experience, and it comes with a full 2 year warranty on it. It had about 2200 on the clock I believe, and apparently it was used by a guy from Triumph corporate to do a road trip to see a couple Iron Maiden shows and then sold to the dealership.

Before this weekend, I'd pretty much accepted that I'd have to wait until next year some time to pick one of these up, but I'm sorely tempted to pull the trigger on this, since it seems like it'd be unlikely I'd see a similar deal until this time next year. I dunno, maybe I'm mistaken in that though. Thoughts?
You should be able to get a 2012 brand new, not a demo< in another month for over $2000 off MSRP. I got $2100 off mine + any add ons I wanted at cost for six months after purchase. A year later, I'm still getting a major discount on anything I buy
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #14906
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by some call me...tim View Post
As it turned out, they had 2 2012 demo bikes in stock, one for $10k, and one for $11k--still not cheap, but as far as I can see, its about the only time you can expect to pay under MSRP with these bikes.

Thoughts?
There are Tiger 800 Roadie and XC on Craigslist. Use SeachTempest, to search all of Craigslist.

For a '12 Roadie, I was quoted $9500, plus $495 freight. No setup fee, as the dealer is reimbursed from the factory for assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post
Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least.
As I stated above, the dealer is reimbursed for assembly. Don't pay it. The bikes, in your area should all ship for about the same money. Call around, to see what others are charging. There's still plenty of '12 bikes to chose from; just got to do some searching.

At your height, I think you'll be happier with the XC. There are plenty of road-oriented tires to choose from.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #14907
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmahtaz View Post

Also, was amazed to find a 2013 T800 version is $12,400 before taxes, title and fees. The dealership in Covina is charging for assembly and freight. I mentioned that was pretty steep. He didn't seem to think so in the least. I didn't feel like mixing it up with him, though, as I'm still contemplating the investment. I will start leaning on him and turn up the negotiations once I'm confident I want to buy.
Covina, CA?

You should be able to get an XC out the door for no more than $13,000. That's leaving the dealer plenty of profit (over $1,000) If you negotiate hard, you can go even lower.
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #14908
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Covina, CA?

You should be able to get an XC out the door for no more than $13,000. That's leaving the dealer plenty of profit (over $1,000) If you negotiate hard, you can go even lower.
+1

I got my XC July 1 for $12,900 OTD, all in. I added sump guard, engine guards, and centerstand at 15% off, added them to the deal, sign and drive, no pain, $262 per month X 60. Didn't even negotiate - that was the deal they presented, was good enough for me to jump in. I like the dealer to make some money on them. I don't care to beat them down to cost, makes you look like a penny-pinching cheap-ass. Instead I'm a preferred customer and get the royal treatment everytime I walk in there.

I do all my own service. First oil change at 250, again at 1400 to full synthetic.

I think you can buy a new car for that. Oh well, wouldn't be nearly as much fun as the Tiger.
Funny, wifey just leased a new Mercedes coupe and the payments aren't even a hundred dollars more.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #14909
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
some call me...tim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
You should be able to get a 2012 brand new, not a demo< in another month for over $2000 off MSRP. I got $2100 off mine + any add ons I wanted at cost for six months after purchase. A year later, I'm still getting a major discount on anything I buy
Interesting, I'm not sure if I can count on a discount on a new 2012 at my dealership though. Besides the demos, they only had 2013 XC's in stock, and a tricked out roadie, so it's not like they're sitting on old inventory that they need to get out the door.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #14910
chasmahtaz
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 5
Re: 800 vs. 800XC

Thanks for the link fbj, but seems that it is directing me to a discussion about t800 vs 800gs. There is plenty info on the boards about Triumph vs. Beemer debate. I was more curious about the t800 vs. t800xc.

I was a little reluctant about the road handling of the xc. All the reviews from the "experts" was that the t800 ran better on the road than the t800xc. A lot of it seems to be attributed to the larger front wheel.

And thanks all who continue to email me or post their views on here. The info share is pretty spectacular.
chasmahtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014