ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,176
Baltimore City Riders be Viligant

I want to relate an incident that happened to me yesterday afternoon at the intersection of Belair Road and Erdman Ave, Northeastern District, Baltimore City.

I was driving my sidecar rig home from work about 4:30 yesterday afternoon, heading North on Erdman. When I stopped at the Bel Air red light intersection, I was accosted by kids from the bus stop, who jumped in and on the sidecar, ripped the tonneau cover, punched me in the back of the helmet, and blocked my path as I tried to get away. Most of the kids at the bus stop were middle schoolers in the khaki pants/sweater city uniform, but the kids actually laying hands on me were older teenagers in plainclothes.

I hit the horn and gunned the motor and they got out of my way, but I was pelted by trash and soda cans as I maneuvered around the car in front of me, and I almost got hit by traffic heading east on Belair as I made the right onto Belair myself. One kid was still on the back of the sidecar and jumped off when I hit the gas.

Luckily this was all being monitored in real time by an officer manning the intersection camera. Squad cars showed up moments after I left the scene, and two arrests were made.

I almost didn't bother calling it in, figuring nothing would happen if I did, but after I calmed down, I called. The police recognized my story right away, and were very happy I reported the incident, so they could charge the two they had in custody. Evidently BCPD has been watching that corner for awhile. The officer told me that realistically, not much might happen to these kids, but because I came forward they will be in the system, and next time they get nicked (and they will) something will stick.

I have no doubt if they had dragged me off they would have tried to drive away on the rig, and maybe stomped me, too. I'm doubly sure if I had been riding my little 250 dual sport solo I would have been toast. So, moral of my story: beware of large groups while on your bike, always plan an escape route in the back of your mind, and definitely report it if you have a problem.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
I want to relate an incident that happened to me yesterday afternoon at the intersection of Belair Road and Erdman Ave, Northeastern District, Baltimore City.

I was driving my sidecar rig home from work about 4:30 yesterday afternoon, heading North on Erdman. When I stopped at the Bel Air red light intersection, I was accosted by kids from the bus stop, who jumped in and on the sidecar, ripped the tonneau cover, punched me in the back of the helmet, and blocked my path as I tried to get away. Most of the kids at the bus stop were middle schoolers in the khaki pants/sweater city uniform, but the kids actually laying hands on me were older teenagers in plainclothes.

I hit the horn and gunned the motor and they got out of my way, but I was pelted by trash and soda cans as I maneuvered around the car in front of me, and I almost got hit by traffic heading east on Belair as I made the right onto Belair myself. One kid was still on the back of the sidecar and jumped off when I hit the gas.

Luckily this was all being monitored in real time by an officer manning the intersection camera. Squad cars showed up moments after I left the scene, and two arrests were made.

I almost didn't bother calling it in, figuring nothing would happen if I did, but after I calmed down, I called. The police recognized my story right away, and were very happy I reported the incident, so they could charge the two they had in custody. Evidently BCPD has been watching that corner for awhile. The officer told me that realistically, not much might happen to these kids, but because I came forward they will be in the system, and next time they get nicked (and they will) something will stick.

I have no doubt if they had dragged me off they would have tried to drive away on the rig, and maybe stomped me, too. I'm doubly sure if I had been riding my little 250 dual sport solo I would have been toast. So, moral of my story: beware of large groups while on your bike, always plan an escape route in the back of your mind, and definitely report it if you have a problem.
Sadly that is not the first story of that type I have heard in the Baltimore area. I have family in the area one is in law enforcement (Federal) he has told me of at least 2 cases where Bikes were stolen when 3 or more people aproached a rider and pulled him off the bike while another rides off on the bike. They were adults and not kids though. Still....

Glad you are not injuried and did file a report.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
mica
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,136
With the exception of Interstate 95, I have only ridden in the city once and that was to the Harbor. I would be reluctant to drive or ride in any part of the city were the police have camera's to monitor for crime.

Glad it didn't turn out as bad as it might have. Mount some pepper spray on the side of your bike maybe?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,394

Glad you're alright.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
pbharvey
Tagoholic

Oddometer: 883
...you were only a few miles from the Maryland Tag.

They should be charged with attempted car-jacking.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbharvey View Post
...you were only a few miles from the Maryland Tag.

They should be charged with attempted car-jacking.
Actually one had a car-jacking arrest, but no charges filed.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
glad youre ok. please press charges for assault with intent to kill, car jacking, hate crimes, littering, racketeering, vandalism etc.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,695
they wouldnt try that in VA.....we pack heat.
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #9
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,186
Fuckin' low life scum. Baltimore is a shithole 'burg that has little to offer and I avoid it whenever possible. Glad things turned out OK.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
Fuckin' low life scum. Baltimore is a shithole 'burg that has little to offer and I avoid it whenever possible. Glad things turned out OK.

There are some great people, places, and things to do in Baltimore. There's a healthy motorcycle community, especially vintage riders.
But where it's bad, it's really bad.
There was a pretty good resurgence going on, but then the economy tanked, and the blight started creeping back.
Plus there's a big population that just doesn't seem to be able to get it together.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
yes, watch out especially if you're on a more Dirt Bike looking DS or Enduro. Lots of missing dirt bikes from the surrounding areas seem to be ending up in Balto.

Head on a swivel and ensure for escape routes. Too bad that sort of planning is necessary...
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
MotoJ OP
Mobtown Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
yes, watch out especially if you're on a more Dirt Bike looking DS or Enduro. Lots of missing dirt bikes from the surrounding areas seem to be ending up in Balto.

Head on a swivel and ensure for escape routes. Too bad that sort of planning is necessary...
No doubt. Still waiting to go to court against two youths caught at 1 in the afternoon trying to saw through the chain locking my KLR250 a few months ago. Same bike was stolen the previous summer and recovered after the thieves abandoned it when it ran out of gas. They stabbed both new tires and vandalized the bodywork just for fun.

Jeez, after typing that I wonder- why am I in this hellhole?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
There are some great people, places, and things to do in Baltimore. There's a healthy motorcycle community, especially vintage riders.
But where it's bad, it's really bad.
There was a pretty good resurgence going on, but then the economy tanked, and the blight started creeping back.
Plus there's a big population that just doesn't seem to be able to get it together.
There are nice people in prison as well. I was born and raised in Bawlmer and it's fucking sad what has happened. I prefer to go where I don't have to seek out safe areas.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,001
And they're trying to outlaw abortion.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #15
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
Wonder why?

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote