Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 277 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #3796
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
In the world of extreme rigourous Health and Saftey, it is interesting to see some strong resitance in deference to 3rd world needs and practicality.

That was fascinating. So nice to see those beautiful aircraft still providing service and so refreshing not to hear a line of corporate bullshit from the pilots.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #3797
EVLED
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Someone's video of the Mosquito in action last weekend (Armistice celebrations). I really hope it stays in the country for the Masterton airshow early next year (hopefully owner reads this).

EVLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #3798
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100 View Post
I really feel as though this is the shape of things to come in the (distant) future of commercial airliners.
I agree. The first ones ought to be freighters in order to establish a track record.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #3799
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
1. Most, not all, freighters are well used airframes before they enter service, typically as a conversion. A lot of freighter's typically fly less than a passenger aircraft, so they can use the airframe at the higher end of the time/cycle frame and are available for maintenance more readily.
2. For freight the blended concept looks like it would have to carry a whole lot of different sized containers - not very functional.
3. The idea they should try it as a freighter first to establish some sort of track record seems to suggest the freight pilots are some sort of guinea pigs. Which reminds me of a DC-8 freighter crash long ago out of Salt Lake which killed the 3 person crew. The AP reported that "there were no people aboard".
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #3800
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I agree. The first ones ought to be freighters in order to establish a track record.
Heck, the freight companies can't wait to remove the co-pilot, then the pilot, using unmanned-aircraft technology.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #3801
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya View Post
In the world of extreme rigourous Health and Saftey, it is interesting to see some strong resitance in deference to 3rd world needs and practicality.

That must be one hot plane...the pilot is wearing Ovgloves.

No scheduled flights. The plane leaves when it has enough cargo and passengers to make it profitable.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #3802
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
2. For freight the blended concept looks like it would have to carry a whole lot of different sized containers - not very functional.
Alot of cargo is palletized, so it would be reasonably simple to load accordingly, lower and lighter to the outboard, higher and heavy to the center. Very functional, in fact....just not particularly efficient use of space.

I would think that in addition to the fore and aft c.g. limits, the allowable lateral c.g. would be a big player as well.

It would be interesting to loadplan, for sure.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #3803
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Alot of cargo is palletized, so it would be reasonably simple to load accordingly, lower and lighter to the outboard, higher and heavy to the center. Very functional, in fact....just not particularly efficient use of space.

I would think that in addition to the fore and aft c.g. limits, the allowable lateral c.g. would be a big player as well.

It would be interesting to loadplan, for sure.
If the guys doing the load plan are anything like the ones I worked with that would be very, very scarey!

They gave me the load plan duties after I had been there two days. I was scared shitless about making a mistake. I always thought of one of those old beat up containers popping loose from the tie down locks and sliding all the way back.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #3804
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
If the guys doing the load plan are anything like the ones I worked with that would be very, very scarey!

They gave me the load plan duties after I had been there two days. I was scared shitless about making a mistake. I always thought of one of those old beat up containers popping loose from the tie down locks and sliding all the way back.
FAA requires all locks to be up and engaged (locked), whether there is a container there or not...for just such a contingency.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #3805
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
FAA requires all locks to be up and engaged (locked), whether there is a container there or not...for just such a contingency.
I remember walking the deck and pulling those up now.

EDIT: Actually I don't remember doing that, but I guess we did.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."

wannaklr screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 12:38 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #3806
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
3. The idea they should try it as a freighter first to establish some sort of track record seems to suggest the freight pilots are some sort of guinea pigs. Which reminds me of a DC-8 freighter crash long ago out of Salt Lake which killed the 3 person crew. The AP reported that "there were no people aboard".
It would just be a matter of habituating the general public to the new shape.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #3807
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,251
Maybe. Passengers never really see what an airplane looks like anyway...they self inject/insert themselves via the jet way and file into their seats. Most don't know and don't care what plane they are on. In such a plane they probably would get lost trying to wander around and find their place. Another factor is the 90 second rule for evacuation. That might be hard to accomplish from deep inside the plane. Or, other factors: how wide is the gear track? Will it fit at most airports in and around the gates? Still, if it has distinct operational and efficiency advantages it should be worth development.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #3808
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
nice Hind

http://aviation1970.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-moment-first-hucks-start-in-70-years.html#!/2012/10/the-moment-first-hucks-start-in-70-years.html
Old 11-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #3809
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Great read, thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #3810
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

That's pretty cool. Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: