Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #166
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasteam View Post
....Beak was way before GS and actually I think Suzuki DR-BIG was the first.
Yep, It was. I think Suzuki is just reclaiming the beak. I think when the said it was inspired by the DR BIG, they meant "stuck a beak back on"

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #167
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Yep, It was. I think Suzuki is just reclaiming the beak. I think when the said it was inspired by the DR BIG, they meant "stuck a beak back on"
I think "inspired by DR Big" rather translates to "we know most of you think this is a GS rip-off, but in fact it isn't. Really. We were first with this! No, really! It's our idea, it's us who are original, even though the GS took it to the next level and we've been outside that game since the 90s."

Kind of like the English with football.

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #168
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
I think the beak was already on the GSX1100S Katana streetbike in about 1981 or 1982.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #169
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
I think the beak was already on the GSX1100S Katana streetbike in about 1981 or 1982.
oooh! That could be right. Sort of. That was a bit of lateral thinking.

Suzuki still owns the beak though, even though it was a *cough* German that did the design.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #170
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Hi everybody,
on the Katanas, there's been just a slight hint of a beak which came to full bloom on the Big. As far as I know this design was a try to keep up with the much bigger Twins of BMW, Cagiva, Honda and Yamaha on the fast stages of that time's Paris - Dakar-races. Didn't work too bad, the Big was really fast for a single-cylinder bike at that time. And kept much of the flickability of a single in the trickier parts of the race.
I think, first beaks of all times were on the 40's and 50's street-racing NSUs from Germany. Have a try at google-pictures for NSU racing Max ... this search should reveal some pics.
Concerning the DL 1000 concept: it's not my cup of tea. I would have liked a 650 V-Strom brought to 750 or 800 cc with frame and body-work really related to that of the Big and with real off-road-worthiness. But as no other company does something like this (I don't mean everybody copying Bigs but Honda developing a new real Africa Twin, Yamaha a new real Super Ténéré, Cagiva a new Elefant and so on ...), there seems to be no reason for Suzuki to start something like this. I know, BMW's F 800 GS and Triumph's Tiger 800 are pointing into this direction but they could be more simple - and a lot of nicer-looking, too ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #171
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
this might happen

I was just on totalmotorcycle.com and they had info on the 2013 dl1000 although they did have it listed as a concept this gives me hope that this may be coming in the near future, anyone have any inside info on if or when this may come to the us?
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #172
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Current info is, that it should be coming into production and available at least in Europe in 2014, not 2013. Dunno about its availability in the US, though.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #173
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post

I think, first beaks of all times were on the 40's and 50's street-racing NSUs from Germany. Have a try at google-pictures for NSU racing Max ... this search should reveal some pics.
I'd just call that a mudguard that didn't fit too well, or maybe an air brake.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #174
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
NSU Max on photo was really bad example...it's just badly assembled bike (by owner) - it should not look like that.

I had NSU 601 OSL (pre-war) and researched a lot about this company so I know what was meant :)

Here you go. Trick is - "dolphin" fairing was made for NSU Rennmax 2-cylinder bikes, not NSU Max (which was quite slow low-power bike).

bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #175
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for that Blues.

Sort of adds a new dimension to the whole beak thing.

Bring on the next GSXR then...

So why do beak companies and Rotaries go together

Was Mr Suzuki an NSU fan?

SO Suzuki did the first one on a road registrable bike then?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #176
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Correct. Suzuki did first on road legal and first on dual-sport.
That was time when manufacturers started to go into whole aerodynamics thing and I remember that Suzuki was saying something about this beak helping to plant front end on dual sport bikes at high speeds...not sure if it really so, but my DR with beak felt more stable on highway than without it (and half of front end plastics )
Now, what is interesting that Dakar rider who rode DR was ex-BMW dakar rider (Gaston Rahier). So you have whole deal for conspiracy theory here
What could have happened - designer seen DR Zeta with Rahier onboard and thought "oh, it's kinda cool look" - if you check R1100GS look it definitely resembles some of DR Big look.
I have been asked once or twice "which BMW is that?" when traveled on my Big in Europe. Go figure.

So - I wish new DL would at least partially resemble that look. But it does not at all. After seeing it in real - I am sure about it.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #177
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
First, second or last, a beak looks quite retarded unless it has a purpose, as on the DR Big. Unless this bikes disappoints in specs, I'm gonna buy it I think, and then I'll deal with the beak one way or another...

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #178
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
Unless this bikes disappoints in specs
That remains to be seen, but considering that they haven´t brought to the market basically ANYTHING new for several years now, they´d want to make sure they get this one right.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #179
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,150
I'm finally going to put in my two bits worth...

The 996 motor is, was and will always be, a jewel of a powerplant. Nice to see it saved from extinction and suprisingly rejigged, to meet current (future) emissions regs. It'll be interesting what level of output, they've allowed for this current incarnation, previously in TL, TLR, DL, SV guises, it's ranged from aprox. 90 to 119 dynoed rwhp levels. Unfortunately, I'm sure conservative Suzuki will err on the side of caution and we'll see no more than 100 rwhp, granted it's more than enough for a budget segment bike.

From the images of the "concept" Vee, aerodynamics have been addressed, successfully or not, that we'll have to see... Far narrower and with notable exits for the incoming air, might lead to downloading the front end at elevated speeds, instead of the opposite effect, found on current Vees.

The deletion of the two heavy exhaust cannisters, carried high and rearward, should also play a positive role in rebalancing this bike's weight distribution, to aid in loaded high speed stability issues, that hampered the first gens.

The usd forks and radially mounted front calipers, as well as inclusive abs, are a logical and overdue step forward.

For the Strom faithful, that object to any criticism of the previous model, contact me for a fly and ride on my owned since new, 04 Vee with ALL the goodies, it's been replaced by a 2010 XB12X for next season.

996DL

and yeah, I'm keeping the name...
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #180
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,995
Announced at EICMA. Bike to the US in 2014.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/887/14...--by-2014.aspx
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote