Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #256
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,585
Don't worry Bob, there will be a pre-teen kid texting on his cell phone scoring him. Garrett can tell him to punch whatever he wants.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #257
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
What about the 1st video? He "probably" stopped a couple of times, didn't he? Is he proclaiming these video's are strictly no stop? I "think" he stopped at the top of the rock a couple of times. I definitely would not have given him a 5 for the 2nd video. Scoring issues are one of the biggest detractors of no stop for me. I don't go to or put on a trials to argue with people. Something needs to be addressed there to make this less subjective and take the pressure off the club observers and improve scoring consistency.
As always, the rider gets the benefit of the doubt. If you "think" he "probably"stopped you don't charge the rider for it.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #258
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
As always, the rider gets the benefit of the doubt. If you "think" he "probably"stopped you don't charge the rider for it.
100% agree - Just like baseball. Tie goes to the runner. My point is its very subjective and will lead to arguments. Maybe technology can help out - yet that has flaws too. See Moto GP.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #259
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
...........and.......we have the current #2 woman rider in the nation riding with us. She rode the TdN and I'm sure is going back next year. Are we (as a club) not helping her if we don't set no-stop thus year and she has no time at it before the nex TdN. She is already riding differnt rules at nationals compared to us-the gate rule This is a good example of what not having consistent rules throughout the sport can do. What a mess.
There will always be a big difference between local events and top level events. Imagine a pro MXer who only trained for 15 minute motos since that what is run at the local track.
Back in the late 90s (as I recall), when the U.S. nationals were run no stop, the local pros started riding local events no stop regardless of how they were scored. The only real change would be that the Champ sections would be designed so that could be attempted as no stop sections.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #260
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
Gordy - Along those lines, I belong to a good sized M/C club who's main membership is very diverse. The club is all about supporting a wide range of events from Peewee hair scrambles to Moto Geezer to Trials events with a heavy emphasis on family events (family funs days ect..) . Our yearly Trials event is very well attended (70 - 80 riders - mostly novice class). We have separate sections and loops for Youth, Novice & Experts. All club checked - most of whom don't ride trials yet most have several years of checking experience now. We usually have a semi-stadium section in the parking lot as well that requires heavy equipment support owned by a local member. (Everyone loves that) The Trials riders in the club do all the section prep, and yet we have a really hard time with section consistency just among our small group! For instance, I will design an intermediate section that's easy for me (I laid it out - so I like it) and the next rider will come along and say - wow thats way too hard. Then I go to his section that he likes and I say - what are you trying to do, kill folks? We even employ a method of standards that helps - but isn't the end all solution, especially when the sections break down and uncover alot of roots ect that weren't there at 1st. We have a reputation for safe but high scoring events (you better know how to turn as a novice) My point is - fun, consistent events are tough to hold. As you probably know, they take alot of work. And even then, its not always perfect. The more fun we can make it for the riders, the better the club feels about the event, They want to please people and feel good about supporting the discipline of Trials. We vote every year on what events to sanction and so far, its always been (6 years running now) an easy sell for 1 trials per year. I worry that No stop will stress our club members out and they will vote for another type of event where they get positive feedback. Even now, the club feedback we get is for us to design easier sections so fewer people struggle and bitch. Its not easy pleasing everyone.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #261
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
Even now, the club feedback we get is for us to design easier sections so fewer people struggle and bitch. Its not easy pleasing everyone.
And there you have it!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #262
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
...........and.......we have the current #2 woman rider in the nation riding with us. She rode the TdN and I'm sure is going back next year. Are we (as a club) not helping her if we don't set no-stop thus year and she has no time at it before the nex TdN. She is already riding differnt rules at nationals compared to us-the gate rule This is a good example of what not having consistent rules throughout the sport can do. What a mess.
You'd be surprised how quickly riders adapt................if they listen

Rachel at TdN was a perfect example. No trials could have been more foreign for her. She got her bike Friday am just before the start of the Women's WC final round. less than an hour before the start. She had about 15 minutes of practice and the she started. She had no mud experience that I know of and she struggled on the first lap but she figured it out quickly and by lap 2 she was rockin. She figured out that you had to keep moving, keep the flow.. Stop and Hop was a big mistake except for a few set ups. In a very short time she became a mud rider. She was a big part why our Women finished so well in Saturday's TdN.

LowPSI screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 03:24 PM
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #263
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowPSI View Post
You'd be surprised how quickly riders adapt.

Rachel at TdN was a perfect example. No trials could have been more foreign for her. She got her bike Friday am just before the start of the Women's WC final round. less than an hour before the start. She had about 15 minutes of practice and the she started. She had no mud experience that I know of and she struggled on the first lap but she figured it out quickly and by lap 2 she was rockin. She figured out that you had to keep moving, keep the flow.. Stop and Hop was a big mistake except for a few set ups. In a very short time she became a mud rider. She was a big part why our Women finished so well in Saturday's TdN.
I heard that she got her bike literally minutes before her start time and had a difficult start but was doing great by the second loop.
She has rode some mud at the eastern nationals but she told me that it was fierce in Switzerland and the loop had a muddy downhill that was crazy.

She is certainly a great example of what this sport is about. She is a great rider, contributes non-stop (no pun intended) and is always willing to help out anyone with encouragement and a smile.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #264
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,344
A D17 jacket is the most coveting item in the universe around here. Plus we score ourselves, so it's much easier to cheat.

Allowing stopping, but put a foot down while stopped and you're out of here... Problem solved, well except for the subjective scoring issues, but we always have that problem.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #265
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,672
Quote:
That's our girl!!!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #266
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,386
Wow Martin, well said - huba huba. You need to write more in TC.

Quote:
Proof you shouldn't believe everything you read. Her report on TdN is not accurate and it bothers me. It sounds like she didn't even leave the pits. It does not do justice to the amazing organization by the Swiss club and the town of Moutier.

Read my report on the TdN in the latest Trials and Enduro news. I love telling this story. It was world class organization.The best I've seen in 40 years of going to World Trials. It was everything a trials should be. It was an event organized by and for the City of Moutier and the Swiss MC Federation. Spectators were everywhere and they were catered to. Shuttle buses got them to the section groups so fast there where there before us and able to follow the whole event. At each section group there were huge tents with tables, chairs and big screen TV's with up to minute section scoring. More importantly they were serving cold beer and hot food. Each section had a huge digital display that showed the riders time and score. The checkers had remotes and as the rider dabbed the score changed instantly and the clock counted down. At one hill climb section they built a real wooden 150' staircase that allowed people to see the whole section.

The Paddock area was unreal. It was huge 2 story convention center in the middle of town. Down stairs were the pits, showers and meeting rooms....A good size practice area just outside with big logs and rocks. Spectators could watch practice. There were 3 sections just outside next to the center and the distance form the beer and sausages vendor was maybe 50'. There were tables and umbrellas there too. Upstairs the convention center was another world. In a word "atmosphere" The final 2 sections were indoors, bleachers for spectators, huge stage, professional sound and lighting, they had the announcer from the Indoors there, a VIP beer garden for sponsors, dozens of vendors, S3, Clice, Montesa, Sherco, GasGas local trials dealers etc...Motorex Oil and Monster Energy were the main sponsors....there was a bicycle trials demo area and all under one roof.....and food, very good food, In the morning omelets, fresh croissants, espresso, pastries. later in the day roast ham and olive oil french fries and cold beer. After the awards ceremony they served complementary local wine and cheese and meats to everyone. The air in that place was a mix of exhaust and french fries...It was heaven.
This:

laser17 • Today 05:34 AM
Quote:
Bottom line , more dabs and ten times the fives for those riding the wrong class! Bring it on.

Quote:
I know I have a definite preference for the simple stop allowed with a 90 second time limit style event, It boils down to the fact that I would rather have more choices than fewer.

AteamNM screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 05:40 PM
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #267
Gordy
Team Listo

I'm starting to come around on going to the world event at TTC. I just realized that Laia Sainz will be there!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #268
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
I'm starting to come around on going to the world event at TTC. I just realized that Laia Sainz will be there!

Yeah, didn't see that one coming.......
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #269
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,672
Quote:
"Hi Uncle Gordy! You'll come out and watch me, no?"

Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #270
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
[QUOTE=AteamNM;20037851]Wow Martin, well said - huba huba. You need to write more in TC.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was such a great experience it was easy to write the story.
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote