ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #54376
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
46k was my high water mark for annual motorcycle miles. Ahhh, the good old days ...

Later,
M
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #54377
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
46k was my high water mark for annual motorcycle miles. Ahhh, the good old days ...

Later,
M
Wow, and I thought my 40K annual was a lot. ;) 12K miles in 18 days to Alaska and back is the most for one trip...
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #54378
Retread10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I made a trip this summer to Alaska from June 1 to July21, covering just below 11k mi. I'm retired and obviously not in a hurry. Had a hellava trip. Made it up to Prudhoe Bay, down to the Kenai and a lot of the common points between here and there. One of the trip highlights: a timberwolf trotting down the road behind me while I was photographing Bear Glacier on my way down from Hyder. If I can figure out how to post photos here, I'll do a ride report this winter.
Retread10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #54379
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retread10 View Post
I made a trip this summer to Alaska from June 1 to July21, covering just below 11k mi. I'm retired and obviously not in a hurry. Had a hellava trip. Made it up to Prudhoe Bay, down to the Kenai and a lot of the common points between here and there. One of the trip highlights: a timberwolf trotting down the road behind me while I was photographing Bear Glacier on my way down from Hyder. If I can figure out how to post photos here, I'll do a ride report this winter.
Hey Retread10! You live in Troy too?
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #54380
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,294
I might not get to ride a ton of miles, but I managed a hundred and some change today....was a bit brisk, but fun, and the 650 decided to not have working lights anymore...

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #54381
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I might not get to ride a ton of miles, but I managed a hundred and some change today....was a bit brisk, but fun, and the 650 decided to not have working lights anymore...
Mine did that once, it was a lose wire under the seat going to the battery.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #54382
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Mine did that once, it was a lose wire under the seat going to the battery.
that's what I figured, that or a fuse. Brake light and turn signals still work, just no head or tail. I need to do some other stuff to it anyhow so no biggie...

Old 11-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #54383
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
that's what I figured, that or a fuse. Brake light and turn signals still work, just no head or tail. I need to do some other stuff to it anyhow so no biggie...

Thats a first. Hmm check the harness for the license plate light. I just unplugged it and tucked it up under the fender when i cut off the fender extension. It never once gave me a problem though. Hmmm.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #54384
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

it just went off today after I had ridden some rough ass gravel. I never asked, did you do the Doo on that bike?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #54385
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Well, at least you get to fix yours at home not on the side of a trail in Tellico, TN.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #54386
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Does anyone know how to test a stator,cdi box and coil off a bike? A guy I work with sons RM100 quit running ,no spark so they pulled it all out, but don't know how to test it or where to take it. They said someone told them they don't make all of the parts anymore and they don't know which part is bad. I told them maybe Action Cycles in Alliance could check it.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #54387
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2P View Post
Does anyone know how to test a stator,cdi box and coil off a bike? A guy I work with sons RM100 quit running ,no spark so they pulled it all out, but don't know how to test it or where to take it. They said someone told them they don't make all of the parts anymore and they don't know which part is bad. I told them maybe Action Cycles in Alliance could check it.

The CDI is tough to check. Usually you just try a know good CDI. The coil is easy with a multimeter. Check the resistance across the two terminals, and again from the terminal to the spark plug wire. They should be less than 1 ohm. Zero ohms is bad as well. Any large, or infinite resistance reading means bad coil. Same thing for the stator. Any large values are bad, as well as 0. You can probably google to get the exact spec to compare to. As long as the resistance values are small, I'd suspect the CDI then. They did try a new plug didn't they?

EDIT: My google fu is week. I couldn't find the specs.

ScienceOfDirt screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 07:41 PM
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #54388
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,114
Quote:
it just went off today after I had ridden some rough ass gravel. I never asked, did you do the Doo on that bike?

I was anti-doo. I did pull the side cover the last time I adjusted the doo and from what I could see everything was in tact and looked fine.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #54389
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
I was anti-doo. I did pull the side cover the last time I adjusted the doo and from what I could see everything was in tact and looked fine.
I'm glad I did the one on my 93, I fished the missing chunk out of the crankcase with a magnet.

I have the tools still if someone needs to borrow them.

I also rewired part of the bike and installed ato weatherproof fuseholders for the circuits on my KLR. I put a couple under the kickstand switch cover and one near the radiator fan. I hate electrical gremlins. The fuseholders came from eBay, they look like this:

Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #54390
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I'm glad I did the one on my 93, I fished the missing chunk out of the crankcase with a magnet.

I have the tools still if someone needs to borrow them.

I also rewired part of the bike and installed ato weatherproof fuseholders for the circuits on my KLR. I put a couple under the kickstand switch cover and one near the radiator fan. I hate electrical gremlins. The fuseholders came from eBay, they look like this:

I may take you up on the offer of borrowing those this winter. I love those fuse holders, I have a couple hundred of them i got in a lot at an auction and I use them for everything, they are great for snowplow wiring.