User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #13861
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Just a guess........

If the valves are set correctly...........and cylinder compression is good.....maybe an exhaust leak or a head gasket leak..........just a guess. Let us know what you find......
Good luck on resolving your problem............
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #13862
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
My 2 cents.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
Question about the rear suspension upgrade/setup:
I currently have a stock swing arm and shock (89 TA) and one goal I want to achieve is an increase in ride height and suspension travel. Assuming no change to the existing rear brake, wheel and swing arm, can you go with the following: XL600 or XL650 front forks (with progressive springs) and a new Wilber rear shock with the 30mm riser?

I ask, not as I am trying to cut corners on my build, but trying to understand acceptable alternatives that achieve a similar setup. I understand that if you raise height, you decrease center to center geometry on the bike, which in turn can make the bike twitchier in corners, and I am OK with that issue.

Thanks...

I think you are on the right track............contact Rick at Cogent Dynamics.....he knows suspension, set mine up with xr600 forks with racetech valves and built me a long travel Moab shock for my TA...........makes a miraculous difference.
I think his website is motocd.com...........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #13863
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
I think you are on the right track............contact Rick at Cogent Dynamics.....he knows suspension, set mine up with xr600 forks with racetech valves and built me a long travel Moab shock for my TA...........makes a miraculous difference.
I think his website is motocd.com...........
Clockwatcher thank you! I have the front end covered thanks to a member on the site (just need to work out the final details) so your input is fantastic. I will contact him tomorrow and see if we can start a dialog on developing an option for what I am trying to accomplish. The fun thing and curse about building bikes is there are a million and one options you can use. I learned a long time ago, when you find something that works or meets your needs, go with it! Analyzing something to death can lead to vapor lock on a project and while I have some time to work on this, I want to spend more time riding than building. .
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #13864
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Reading a bit old posts... RD03 swing with stock TA shock (also 375mm) gave me 45mm more height in rear. I think, with RD04 arm should be even a bit more as it is longer than RD03 swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveski View Post
- Fit an Africa Twin complete rear end and shock from a RD03 or RD04 - both raise the back of the TA as they have longer swingarms and I think different leaverage ratios to the TA. I fitted the RD04 to mine as the swing arm is the longest and raises the rear 1.5 inches (ah, metric or imperial - I use both! about 38mm) from memory. The RD04 shock is also 375mm....
ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #13865
danyila
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nang...&feature=g-upl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTEdETVKB6Q&feature=plcp
danyila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #13866
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Spent the better part of Sunday afternoon reading this thread. I had hoped to be to the end by Thanksgiving...(Currently at post 4100). I am finding that this build of mine is taking on a life on of its own because of this thread and all of you.

Most bikes I work on are newer in nature so there is not a lot of information on what you can/can't do to them. Yet with the TA, the Mod thread is like going through a history book seeing all the work that people have done. But it does not stop there, the human factor is incredible and the trials and tribulations and even the passing of some members draws you into a very extended and wide family history. So many times I am tempted to respond to a question or comment but I have to stop myself as they were asked and answered 7 years ago. So as I work my way to the present day section of the thread I find that I am beginning to weave myself into a very long linage of riders and builders who are really paving the way for the new owners like myself. I hope my efforts to copy the work they have done, does them justice. Thank you all for what you have done, I look forward to what will be down the road.

Here is where we ended yesterday, the Givi bags are off and the few parts that are in are being laid out.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #13867
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
Spent the better part of Sunday afternoon reading this thread. I had hoped to be to the end by Thanksgiving...(Currently at post 4100). I am finding that this build of mine is taking on a life on of its own because of this thread and all of you.

Most bikes I work on are newer in nature so there is not a lot of information on what you can/can't do to them. Yet with the TA, the Mod thread is like going through a history book seeing all the work that people have done. But it does not stop there, the human factor is incredible and the trials and tribulations and even the passing of some members draws you into a very extended and wide family history. So many times I am tempted to respond to a question or comment but I have to stop myself as they were asked and answered 7 years ago. So as I work my way to the present day section of the thread I find that I am beginning to weave myself into a very long linage of riders and builders who are really paving the way for the new owners like myself. I hope my efforts to copy the work they have done, does them justice. Thank you all for what you have done, I look forward to what will be down the road.
I did the same thing when I got my TA. For thoes of us into this stuff, it's like a good book you can't put down. It was interesting to trace the migration of individual bikes from new owner to new owner and the changes they made. Also the coming and going of owners as their needs/wants change. Some members have greater knowledge/experience in one area and others in different areas, most are very helpful with answering questions even if they have been answered many times before. It's unfortunate that many of the the early pictures have been "dropped" , and there is no assurance that recent pictures will endure. I have a very disorganized set of notes/references, and save or print things I want to keep. Looking forward to watching yours and others continuing interpretations.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #13868
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,853
Having gotten to know Dr. E through several emails I can tell you he's the right guy for such an undertaking. His mechanical experience and attitude will make this a fun project for all of us to enjoy and learn from.

There is a wealth of knowledge in everyone here so feel free to ask any questions.

mas335 screwed with this post 11-20-2012 at 12:46 PM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #13869
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Engine Guards for an '87

I can't seem to find a vendor with any Givi engine guards in stock... Motorcycle Superstore showed on-line inventory available but none in reaity - and they are saying Givi won't give them a date on when they'll have any ready for shipping. I've just put a request in the flea market in case anyone has a set for sale or knows of someone who does.
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #13870
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
I can't seem to find a vendor with any Givi engine guards in stock... Motorcycle Superstore showed on-line inventory available but none in reaity - and they are saying Givi won't give them a date on when they'll have any ready for shipping. I've just put a request in the flea market in case anyone has a set for sale or knows of someone who does.
I'd be surprised if anyone really stocks them anymore. I ordered from sporttour under the same deal (they didn't know how long it would take Givi to get them made) and got them in two weeks. This was just a couple months ago.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #13871
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
I got mine here:
http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/..._GIVTN363.aspx

They mention a modification needed to mount this guard. You may already know but the only modification really is that you need a longer bolt for the front engine mount than the one they include. It seems like the length needed isn't easy to find in the right metric size so most folks, including me, use a 5/16" bolt in the correct length instead, which works just fine.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #13872
Crash48
Secular Lord

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
I got mine here:
http://www.happy-trail.com/Products/..._GIVTN363.aspx

They mention a modification needed to mount this guard. You may already know but the only modification really is that you need a longer bolt for the front engine mount than the one they include. It seems like the length needed isn't easy to find in the right metric size so most folks, including me, use a 5/16" bolt in the correct length instead, which works just fine.
Thank you JB and APP... Happy Trails called Givi for me while I was on the phone and discovered the last one in North America was sitting in Charlotte NC - on it's way to Dartmouth now
Crash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #13873
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,498
Quote:
Thank you JB and APP... Happy Trails called Givi for me while I was on the phone and discovered the last one in North America was sitting in Charlotte NC - on it's way to Dartmouth now
If anyone else needs a set, twisted throttle's website shows they have some in stock also. Usually pretty accurate.

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #13874
dfc
Reluctant Cannonball

Oddometer: 2,739
Fork/triple swap

I can't remember and I didn't flag it. Anyone know if an '87 xr600 triple/forks will mate up to the '89 Transalp? an Inmate is selling a set, not sure I am ready to do it but just in case.......
dfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #13875
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,437
I just picked up a highly modified 89 Transalp, Yes the one Jim has show earlier in this thread. But my real question is does anyone have any advice on side rack for the bike ? It has a big Hayabusa muffler on it and while it does not look the best it sure is light, sounds good, and runs great. I do not know if this would interfere with a stock type side racks or not.

open to suggestions.

Marc