Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 265 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #26041
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Were the NN's the Snakeskin sidewall model? I just put a set of them on my bike, and ride in some rocky stuff. Wondering how long they will last... I've heard the non snakeskin ones are very prone to sidewall tears.
Yep, Snakeskin with Pacestar compound. I bought the bike with them already on it, so I'm glad it wasn't my $160 wasted on the tires. The older guy I bought it from doesn't ride hard and the tires looked newish two weeks ago. The rear developed alot of wear after I put 130 miles on it. Ripped a side knob off last Saturday. They do ride well though. Lots of confidence inspiring grip and I like the feedback.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #26042
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
all the mtn bikes on their website have various rockshox and fox forks. i didn't see this model.
I don't know about the bike, but here are the forks.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=3491
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #26043
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I was having a great leafy singletrack ride yesterday when the rear Nobby Nic blew a hole in the sidewall. Had to hike the bike out of the woods due to only having one Co2 cartridge in the Camelback. Lesson learned. No more overpriced, paper thin, Schwalbes for me.
Add: "I need to get a pump", to your lessons learned.

I gave up on inflators, long ago. I've had multiple flats, failed inflations, and rides with others who didn't have their own repair system. I bought a Lezyne. It works great and no more worries of limited air.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #26044
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I don't know about the bike, but here are the forks.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=3491
OK, that's just stupid money!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #26045
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

I gave up on inflators, long ago. I've had multiple flats, failed inflations, and rides with others who didn't have their own repair system. I bought a Lezyne. It works great and no more worries of limited air.
+1

Great pump.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #26046
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post

Thanks for the tip, but $100 for a pump? I'll look into the non carbon model at less than half that price.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #26047
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,831
Tire boot with $, powerbar wrappers, or a boot kit a Blackburn Mammoth Mtn pump and you're good to go.

One important hint I learned along the way: keep your pump inside your camelbak. Keeps it clean and it lasts a LOT longer. Last pump I bought was roughly a decade ago.

M
Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #26048
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,455
I carry a spare tube, tyvek for sidewalls, co2 and a pump. I hardly ever got flats running tubes. I'll see how long I can go without one running tubeless...
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #26049
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Tire boot with $, powerbar wrappers, or a boot kit a Blackburn Mammoth Mtn pump and you're good to go.

One important hint I learned along the way: keep your pump inside your camelbak. Keeps it clean and it lasts a LOT longer. Last pump I bought was roughly a decade ago.

M
huh. i put a jazillion miles on my old road bike with a full length Silca 'frame pump' on the seat tube, one end up against the BB, other end tucked under the top tube. that pump never failed me. true, the pump 'handle' did overlap the main tube when it was compressed, so it acted as a mud guard, the shaft was only exposed when you had the pump extended. would pump up a 23c tire to 120psi in a half dozen strokes.

I do NOT like those little shorty things they sell now days.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #26050
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
huh. i put a jazillion miles on my old road bike with a full length Silca 'frame pump' on the seat tube, one end up against the BB, other end tucked under the top tube. that pump never failed me. true, the pump 'handle' did overlap the main tube when it was compressed, so it acted as a mud guard, the shaft was only exposed when you had the pump extended. would pump up a 23c tire to 120psi in a half dozen strokes.

I do NOT like those little shorty things they sell now days.
Yabbut we're talking mtn bikes here. They're a whole nuther level of dirty! (speaking of which... I need to clean mine after Tuesday's ride)

Try and keep up old man.

May be time to start seriously looking at Denver again: bike repair rooms

M

Gummee! screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 06:04 AM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #26051
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,752
for the road riders - do you ride with a local club? What's it like for you?

I do a Saturday morning ride with the local club and I'm slowly learning the names, faces and even riding styles. I'm in my mid-50's and it's clear that most of these guys are older and have been riding for quite some time.

I still remember the first sting of my first club ride in March of last year. We made the turn out of the parking lot, made another turn onto a main street and I was dropped in less than a mile.

Now, it's different. Fast? I don't know what fast means to you. My experience is limited but let me describe a typical ride:
35-40 miles
Terrain varies but not an awful lot of hills since we're in the desert
Pace: pick your poison. I usually start from the back and then make my way to the front.
Size: 65 ~ 100 riders depending on the weather.

Here's a slice of my speed from last Saturday's ride:

Every slowdown is a result of approaching a traffic light and then with the green, it's a sprint back up to speed. They actually ride up to the intersection and stop. I prefer to soft-pedal and stay clipped in. We're in a very urban area so there are major intersections every mile and maybe a few smaller ones in between.

I do OK with this group. I usually hang off the back but I'll usually pass and take a turn pulling at the front. We had some "state champion" riding with us last week and the pace was a tad faster than normal. The sprints do get a little tiresome but I don't mind. These mid-30 mile rides are my workouts to keep me rolling on longer, slower-paced rides.

The previous Sat's ride involved a tandem with some fairly deep wheels. I swore I was going to take it easy on that particular ride but I couldn't help myself when the tandem passed.... too much temptation. We managed to catch and pass the fast group. They did their best to jump on my rear wheel but our little train was moving at 27-28-29-30 mph and I know from experience that those speeds are a little high for these guys.

The actions at the lights were the same: the fast group would pull up with us and then do a jackrabbit start. I'd stay with the tandem and we'd build speed slowly like a locomotive and then catch and pass the fast group.

Eventually, the tandem team slowed enough for me to take a couple of turns at the front and then the tandem were subsequently dropped. They may have had a mechanical issue since they dropped fairly fast.

I love this stuff. The workout is solid, these guys are good riders and that pushes me to be smooth and controlled. Fact is, many of them are older than me - retired, etc and are pretty serious about their riding. I don't get too many comments about the recumbent anymore but when the tandem and I passed the pace line, I heard a "not again" from someone. I think some were dreading the front of the pace line quickening the pace to try and catch a draft from us.

I'm very, very curious as to how many ride with clubs and how your experiences compare to mine. Are you on a high racer? Low racer? Do you ride with the faster group or somewhere in the middle? What are the typical speeds like? Or, are club rides not your thing? I get that too.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #26052
HappyRiding
Wandering Moran

Oddometer: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

May be time to start seriously looking at Denver again: bike repair rooms

M
Bike repair rooms? You mean like my living room?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #26053
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 478
I don't have a street bicycle, so no idea regaridng paces and clubs...to me it looks like just 'workout', as much as I enjoy that, I like to have it peppered with some fun and if I lived in PHX I would sure own a mt bike.
My question here has more to do with different bike purposes. I am looking to get more technical. I've been riding a HD 29er pretty much in AM style and it has been working out. Being the only HD in a group I get props every time I don't suck too much on a downhill. I like HD because it has a lot less maintenance (and I break stuff) and in y view allows me to be as fast on uphills as I can get. So for awhile I was thinking still of upgrading to a F/S, either a Rumblefish or a Stumpy but nowadays I am thinking of staying with my HD Kona and picking up a 'fun' and city bike.
Here comes the questions part-
Is the general opinion that F/S is really just for rider comfort and some traction help on a trail ride? Curious what riders here think.
What is the legit difference between a trials bike and a DJ? I see a relatively cheap Kona Shonty here..would that work for the fun stuff like city riding, few smaller jumps, lite trials stuff? Or should I go for a ridgid trials bike for the around the neighborhood fun...? I don't see either of these bikes going ona serious trail ride.
And finally, would a DH like Kona Stinky be good at all for around town and stunt playing?
Thanks, hopefully not every one here is wearing tight, tight shorts!

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #26054
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRiding View Post
Bike repair rooms? You mean like my living room?
Marry me?!

M
Old 11-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #26055
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
Thanks, hopefully not every one here is wearing tight, tight shorts!
I wear the tight tight shorts, but will try and help regardless.

Quote:
Here comes the questions part-
Is the general opinion that F/S is really just for rider comfort and some traction help on a trail ride? Curious what riders here think.
Yes and no. Yes, it makes for a more comfortable, faster ride because you don't have to choose lines nearly as well, but as you've determined, riding a HT isn't as big a detriment as some FS guys will have you believe.

Quote:
What is the legit difference between a trials bike and a DJ? I see a relatively cheap Kona Shonty here..would that work for the fun stuff like city riding, few smaller jumps, lite trials stuff? Or should I go for a ridgid trials bike for the around the neighborhood fun...? I don't see either of these bikes going ona serious trail ride.
If you're going hopping around, get the trials bike. DJ bikes tend to be bomb-proof to take the abuse that cased landings cause. See the Danny McAskill videos, etc. for more info. Alternatively a rigid 26er of a light enough variety may work too for hopping about on obstacles. Note that I'm not trials guy so YMMV

Quote:
And finally, would a DH like Kona Stinky be good at all for around town and stunt playing?
No. True DH bikes are specialized to go downhill. (duh) You're gonna try and pedal around on a 40# bike? Don't think that'd be much fun. Especially no fun trying to hop up and down on things. I'd go Trials, then DJ bike, then DH bike for your round town adventures. You may get away with an all-mountain cause they're not quite as heavy as the DH bikes.

I've seen lots of 'go hopping around downtown' types on freestyle BMX bikes too, so don't rule that out. Size-wise, they're pretty farging heavy tho.

How's that for answers from a tight-shorts-wearing roadie?

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: