Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #361
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky View Post
... My way seems to be easyer then cuting, welding new frame and trying to fit engine. There is a stock base, made by factory so its solid and fit properly, angine and frame most important parts are done. I know that this kind of ptoject is not easy to build, but if we have got the base it will make all project much easier.
builds using the kawasaki ptwin frames have been done, or are ongoing. nothing new there. the KLR or KTM builds with the ptwin engine are a different kind of bike by intent.

i'm content with my ptwin gravel runners in the stock frame, they work for the type of trip i do, and they're very cheap to build. 10,000 km of gravel road on these bikes so far. i'm going to try to turnkey my next ptwin build for $1000 plus the cost of new tires. we'll see how it goes.

maybe i should join this circus and start another build thread.

(lucas, a PM headed your way)
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #362
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,504
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
maybe i should join this circus and start another build thread.

I would agree to that

I like reading your builds and the ride report after the build
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #363
Pulasky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Almost stock Versys. Suspention, wheels and exhoust only changed. Great bike for gravels and dirt roads. Kawasaki should make this kind of bike paraler with street Versys, like new Triumph Tiger 800

Pulasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #364
svestenik
armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 27
LukasM, why not try Kawa KLE500 engine instead of Kawa KLE650 engine ?

I admit, it is only 500cc displacement, but it is proven, venerable design, bulletproof. Six gears, and it can run well above 170 kph in stock form. Easy to find, cheap to run & own, and with GPZ500 camshafts and carbs they develop a nice punch.

Same configuration as Versys/ER's, almost the same design, since Kawa 650 engine is based on it, but it should be smaller in overall dimensions and would maybe fit easier ?

They are carbed though, no factory EFI. You would have to do some aftermarket EFI conversion.

If you need measurements and photos of the engine, I can supply you with it, since I have one left from previous bike.
svestenik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #365
dtdynamics
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by svestenik View Post

I admit, it is only 500cc displacement, but it is proven, venerable design, bulletproof. Six gears, and it can run well above 170 kph in stock form. Easy to find, cheap to run & own, and with GPZ500 camshafts and carbs they develop a nice punch.

Same configuration as Versys/ER's, almost the same design, since Kawa 650 engine is based on it, but it should be smaller in overall dimensions and would maybe fit easier ?

They are carbed though, no factory EFI. You would have to do some aftermarket EFI conversion.

If you need measurements and photos of the engine, I can supply you with it, since I have one left from previous bike.
id be interested in them dimensions!
dtdynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #366
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by svestenik View Post

I don't think the 500 engine is smaller. I think it may even be bigger. I had a 500 before my 650 and the power delivery was quite different. The 500 is really soft on the bottom whereas the 650 has some grunt right off of idle.
'07 Mutant Ninja II (sold)click for build report
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #367
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 449
Hey Lukas,
I hope you're still checking this. I have an LC4 rolling chassis with no engine. Looking at used engines, the BMW 650 single seems to be much more available than LC4's (so, cheaper), and with a good record for reliability. They also have a right-side chain drive, although the engine mounts are quite different.

Do you have any idea if the Rotax fits in the LC4 frame? I'm thinking of going that route if I can do it with just some custom mounts.

John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:36 AM   #368
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 650
ktm rotax

Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb View Post
Hey Lukas,
I hope you're still checking this. I have an LC4 rolling chassis with no engine. Looking at used engines, the BMW 650 single seems to be much more available than LC4's (so, cheaper), and with a good record for reliability. They also have a right-side chain drive, although the engine mounts are quite different.

Do you have any idea if the Rotax fits in the LC4 frame? I'm thinking of going that route if I can do it with just some custom mounts.

John
Should be interesting, 83 or 84 KTM 's and some years ATK s 600 had the Rotax 604 ? engine .
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #369
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennswoodsed View Post
Should be interesting, 83 or 84 KTM 's and some years ATK s 600 had the Rotax 604 ? engine .
That's a good point, the 604 should be a near bolt-in given how many parts the ATK shared with the KTM. The swingarm and rear frame area looks very similar. However those engines are not easy to find. There are about 10 F650 engines on ebay right now, and I've never seen a 604 being parted out. I'll keep an eye out though.
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #370
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,320
Yeah, I'm still here.

The project is literally not off the table yet, sitting on one of the benches in my garage. Recently got a set of 690 Rally tanks for trial fitting, those would work a lot better so I sold the 4x 660 Rally tanks.

Right now one option I'm considering is to have a pro put the stem and rear part of the frame in a jig, and then make up some new trellis frame tubes to connect them. Basically make it look like a 690 frame except a bit wider in the middle. That might actually work...

The F650 engine is the second option I am considering, especially if I can manage to find a crashed Husky Terra. I do know that it's a big wide engine but I've never sized it up to see if it would fit in the frame. Since it's got a single throttle body I think it should fit in between the frame spines on top. Worst case you might have to redo the two bottom frame tubes, but that's not too hard.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #371
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulasky View Post
This is not er but sv 650,

I would love to see more detailed photos of that bike. It looks to be very well done.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #372
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 650
what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
I would love to see more detailed photos of that bike. It looks to be very well done.
I would give some ones left nut for build details on this bike.
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote