ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
tblume OP
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,819
Cry when it's time to go

spoiler alert: this may get depressing.
found on TriumphRat.net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wc6n...rHZxrVJg7QSomI

Unknown guy and unknown story, but in the end that's what it's all about; creating your story and creating the guy (or gal) you want to be.

So, philosophical question: when it's time to go, and given your druthers, is it sliding into the grave headfirst having sung the song of the sausage creature or persisting and forever exploring till the sandman cometh?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
tblume OP
deus ex machina

I'll go first; I intend to keep on keeping on till I can't anymore-
I have the genetics that lead me to think I'll be around and viable for a long time- RTW at 80? Maybe. I'll give it a go when I get there.

Now that being said, Safety is third and I'll take chances having fun, you know the drill, and accidents do happen- I'm in a good head space, and don't go around "live fast, die young" for certain.

I have responsibilities to my kids- They'll be proper ADV'ers: already sowing the seeds: wheelies in the back yard when they could straddle the tank and they've got a JR50 vintage mini in the garage we'll fix up this winter- not bad for 5&7

Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,372
I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,050
I'm either living too fast,,

or dying too slow.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post
So, philosophical question: when it's time to go, and given your druthers, is it sliding into the grave headfirst having sung the song of the sausage creature or persisting and forever exploring till the sandman cometh?
Is this an either/or question? I sort of expect to do both.

When singing the song of the sausage creature, I always expect to tell the story afterwards. Once in a while a little glitch (broken bones and orthopedic hardware in my case) gives one "pause".

The sandman might be resident in your right wrist, the gas pedal of the local garbage truck, the last whiskey sour your fellow commuter drank (or the cool sext message s/he was reading), the carcinogens you inadvertantly got exposed to, or the pesky DNA your parents gave you.

I don't live my life worrying over which one it's gonna be.

(Well, not too much, anyway. Healthy fear is just that.)
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
tblume OP
deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post

When singing the song of the sausage creature, I always expect to tell the story afterwards. Once in a while a little glitch (broken bones and orthopedic hardware in my case) gives one "pause".

The sandman might be resident in your right wrist, the gas pedal of the local garbage truck, the last whiskey sour your fellow commuter drank (or the cool sext message s/he was reading), the carcinogens you inadvertantly got exposed to, or the pesky DNA your parents gave you.

good answer,
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,664
when it becomes obvious I will not live much longer and cannot take care of myself, I will just ride away into the sunset by myself. Just like elephants do. well, they dont ride but they walk away from the rest of the herd to die. If they could ride, I bet they would ride away instead of walking.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #8
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,437
Cliff's notes please.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
Cliff's notes please.
One part of a video supposedly to his kids/wife before he kills himself. Not sure I am buying it. They post 1 part and THEN he has to ask the wife about the other two parts?
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetSideRider View Post

Cycle World just reprinted that HST story in their latest issue, "Better to be shot out of a cannon than squeezed out of a tube".
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
If I was going to kill myself, I wouldn't tell anyone. I'd let them think I died doing something brave like jumping out of an airplane: The Old Man just had to try sky diving before he was too old, but his shute didn't open. At least he died with his boots on..." Suicide (that your family knows about) leaves lots of hurt feelings.

I'll probably die doing motorcycle stunts at the rest home...

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #12
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
I guess the video is about him killing himself. Not going out in a blaze of glory or riding off into the sunset. I don't know the guy or his story but doing that when you have people who love you and depend on you is about as selfish and weak as it gets.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #13
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,115
Tblume really didnít ask about choosing suicide over living. His question was probably whether it was better to take some risk in life or try to avoid it altogether, or at least, that's what I read into it.

The young man in the video looks tormented to me, and is hinting to his children that he wonít be around for their future. It leads me to believe he has taken his own life, but the story hasnít unfolded for the Youtube audience (ah, modern society).

On a beautiful Indian Summer day in October, 1988, my 28 year old brother spattered his brains across the bedroom wall of a rental apartment on lower Queen Anne hill, leaving the family to clean up the mess. At the time I was left to wonder why he didnít at least wait until a slut gray morning in January to act against his demons. Then I could maybe relate, just a little, to the selfish idiot. That was where my head was at, then.

Now, I understand that suicide is escape from pain. We who are not in pain canít relate. Some of us who are in pain can embrace it and live on, standing as a powerful example to others. Others are what an old friend of mine called ďno load individualsĒ. They have so little strength that not only can they not carry others, they cannot carry themselves.

A young suicide is a tragedy. As we age, suicide gains some measure of heroism, to me. When the strong grow weak after a lifetime of carrying others, they often decide that they donít want to be a burden. They donít want to inflict the pain of loss that they themselves have felt in a lifetime of loss. Itís a false hope, the hope that our loss will be less if our loved ones donít see us suffer, but it is a loving hope that I respect.

If I am granted a forewarning of the end, I hope I am able to handle it with grace, and act as an example to the ones that I care about who are left behind, for now.

I think twice about posting this. More than twice. But every year for 24 years now, this time of year makes me melancholy. I like people more now than I did then, and I try to be a little more understanding. Maybe this note is helpful to someone.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,818
Thanks for the post WSR. My mom tried it twice before finally succumbing to a heart attack at age 39. Noone know the pain in another person. Geezuz.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
tblume OP
deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
Thanks for the post WSR. My mom tried it twice before finally succumbing to a heart attack at age 39. Noone know the pain in another person. Geezuz.
Sorry link.

And thanks wsr, you've put a lot of perspective and thought into that, sorry for your loss as well.

My close experience with suicide was my ex-wife who talked about it to her shrink, who wisely walked her to the psych unit. She's much better now, a great mom to our boys, a friend to me, and I'm thankful it happened as and when it did.

Now. It sucked a bunch during.

Love you people, tis the season for depression and angst, watch out for yourselves and those you care about.