Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #226
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I anticipate this too. I'll probably have to drive pretty far to get an MSRP without bs fees deal. Local shop is horrible for the fees. I know. I used to sell bikes there.

Southern Powersports is a Honda dealer in Chatanooga - they don't charge fees. Not that far from Asheville. I bought a bike there, and I definitely recommend them.

Also Abernathy's Honda in Union City does not charge fees. Prices are usually fair at both locations. Never done business with Abernathy's though - but I know people who have and they recommend them.

I am not affiliated with either business, just passing the word.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #227
83XLX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It's the tail light that gives it a chunkier look over the prototype. That was a change to meet DOT requirements, and same goes for those turn signals up front.
It's a lot more than that. The engines aren't even the same - the production engine looks taller and isn't canted forward as much, and compare the angle of the front downtubes. The whole bike is taller, and the position of the gas tank is different, too. I'm sure the production model would look a little cleaner with a smaller tail light, lower bars, and a smaller muffler, but it still isn't as inherently "right" as the prototype was. Nice bike by any means, though.
83XLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #228
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83XLX View Post
It's a lot more than that. The engines aren't even the same - the production engine looks taller and isn't canted forward as much, and compare the angle of the front downtubes. The whole bike is taller, and the position of the gas tank is different, too. I'm sure the production model would look a little cleaner with a smaller tail light, lower bars, and a smaller muffler, but it still isn't as inherently "right" as the prototype was. Nice bike by any means, though.
We discussed this quite a bit on the older thread. At some point in the gestation of the CB1100 it lost its cafe vibe and become mostly UJM retro and budget bike. Personally, I think they're in a bit of a no-man's land between the two - perhaps not sporting enough or modern enough to sell as an all-around performer, but not retro enough to sell on nostalgic connection to the bikes like the CB750. But we'll see.

I suspect if it does well, they'll bring over some more sporting variants.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #229
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljr View Post
Absolutely love it, just wish I had not spent all my bike money this year, I will have to hope it is available for a few years.

I'd say you have a nice bike allowance Paul - a 2012 R1200GS and 2012 Triumph Bonneville
Old 11-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #230
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,997
I picked up an FZ8 this March because I was wanting that Standard bike appearance. Although it's a modern style bike, it's all a bike needs to be. No excessive body work and comfortable to ride. Now that the CB1100 is coming here, I think a trade in is likely. I like the FZ8 but I can't really connect with it; not like my 78 CB750F I had a few years ago. It's weird.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #231
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
I picked up an FZ8 this March because I was wanting that Standard bike appearance. Although it's a modern style bike, it's all a bike needs to be. No excessive body work and comfortable to ride. Now that the CB1100 is coming here, I think a trade in is likely. I like the FZ8 but I can't really connect with it; not like my 78 CB750F I had a few years ago. It's weird.
The connecting "thing" is not weird...to me it is a necessity!.I can't seem to connect with my 2010 RS Shadow?...don't know why?...nice machine.I'm a big fan of the CB styling and mechanics though!.When I see one of these 1100's up close,hop on and check out the details in person,I just may have to piss the wife off and sell the RS?....it's not often Honda floods the U.S. with such goodies!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #232
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I anticipate this too. I'll probably have to drive pretty far to get an MSRP without bs fees deal. Local shop is horrible for the fees. I know. I used to sell bikes there.
It's going to be real hard to not get an emotional attachment when I see the one that will be "mine" and it's time to make the final deal...

I'd rather walk out and get my deposit back and get somewhere else and/or wait a year...

Their motto is "...Where customers come first." So we'll see...
DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #233
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
I wonder if any accessories will be available?

Would my trunk just ruin the look?

Simply put...yes.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #234
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Tail Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It's the tail light that gives it a chunkier look over the prototype. That was a change to meet DOT requirements, and same goes for those turn signals up front.
The CB1100 tail light mimics the original CB750 SOHC tail light.
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #235
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
One of the major factors when considering a new bike for $ 10,000 vs a used bike for $ 7,000-8,000 is credit. Hard to find good cheap financing on a used bike, whereas Honda will be financing that bike at a great rate. So initial outlay will be less cash to ride it home.
Suzuki's 0% down, 0% interest promo this year got me off the sidelines and on a bike. I could afford the monthly payment and--honestly--I like NOT having someone else's problem. That said, the cash in hand buyer can find some nice bikes if they're patient. There was a fully mod'd DR650 in Seattle (that included the stock parts--why he didn't go back to stock and sell the parts seperately I dunno. ) that was ~$5K if I recall--but the mods!! A good deal for someone.

As for the CB1100, I like it a lot! I don't care for "spaceship" looking bikes and being a kid of the 70s, I think standards are the way to go. I've liked cafes since the day--and have mixed feelings about their current popularity--and I think the CB1100 is just begging to be cafe'd! I really cannot wait to throw a leg over the CB1100 once the initial OMGIGOTTAHAVEIT!!! buyers have cleared out of the showrooms.

And, THANK YOU HONDA!!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #236
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
My oil/air cooled R1200R makes 109 hp to the road with 85 ft-lbs of torque. I can't understand Honda letting this beast out with at least 100 hp. I found a wet weight of 540 #'s. Not bad but should be only 500.

Maybe after market can take care of these short-comings. There's proabably close to 15 ponies worth of intake/exhaust restriction. And knowing Honda the exhaust/intake valve overlap is proabably very short. Just a bit of cam timing adjustment would make a big difference.
You're not wrong, but the retro bike market seems divergent from the performance market. Otherwise, I guess one would look at Honda's CB1000R, Kawasaki Z1000 or Yamaha FZ-1, and learn to like the Transformer-esque looks.

Compared to other retro styled bikes, this one's a powerhouse.

Each to his own, but 85 HP / 67 lb/ft of torque is plenty for me.

There are fewer and fewer bikes around these days without water-cooling, so I suspect the CB1100 is pretty choked up with emissions stuff. How easily it can be removed will be seen in time.

I like the R1200R a lot too.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #237
drooartz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I really like this bike at first glance. I'm a standard bike kinda guy -- best riding year ever was on a 2007 Bonnie Black. Not because it's retro, but because it's what a bike is supposed to look like. Simple, do anything bike.

That said, the small fuel tank might be an issue for me (the short range was why I sold the Bonnie). I ride a bunch in southern Utah and a range of less than 200 miles means a bunch of out-of-fuel-and-walking anxiety in some places.
drooartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #238
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Doing with the late 70s CB750 what Triumph and Kawasaki did with the Bonneville and K650, respectively.

I like it, but I wouldn't buy one.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #239
cb4017
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Thumb

In years past I had a 76 CB750 and an 83 CB1100F. I REALLY like this bike. It doesn't meet my current needs as a 2-up sport tourer but if I can convince the wife we need a second bike this will be it.
I was a Vietnam Veteran before it was popular.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
cb4017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #240
d.burbach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Most folks clamor for a 6th gear for every bike, but really, it depends on how the first 5 are spaced whether it is necessary. With this much torque, the CB1100 gears, especially the top one, could be widely spaced.

I never wished for a 6th on my DR650SE.

On the other hand, on my CBF1000 (I-4, 6-speed, 15% more HP but same torque as the CB1100) the gears are closer than they need to be, and the RPM at 125 KPH (75 MPH) is 5,000 (red-line is 10,000). The CBF would be a better highway bike for 125 / 75 plus speeds if 6th were a much taller, overdrive to drop the RPMs and reduce vibration. I wish it had a 7th!
I didn't say it needed a sixth gear, only that it would be nice. I mean I could get by just fine without a sixth gear on my SV650, but it sure is nice to have it.