Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #241
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.burbach View Post
I didn't say it needed a sixth gear, only that it would be nice. I mean I could get by just fine without a sixth gear on my SV650, but it sure is nice to have it.
I'm a little surprised that Honda built a brand-new platform with a five-speed box. I'm sure the bike doesn't need it, but I don't know of any motorcycle that isn't improved with a six-speed.

This sort of cost-cutting compromise that may turn people off is what has me worried about sales of this bike. The other big area is suspension - no upside down forks and other than rear preload, no suspension adjustments whatsoever.

A think a $10,299 CB1100 with USD fork, rebound adjustments, and a six-speed box would sell more bikes than the $10K bike we're getting.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #242
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
^ I tend to agree. I like the bike and the classic look. Other than that, it does nothing for me, but kudos to Honda for putting out some bikes people seem to want. I am in the market, unsure if any will fit my needs at this time tho.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #243
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'm a little surprised that Honda built a brand-new platform with a five-speed box. I'm sure the bike doesn't need it, but I don't know of any motorcycle that isn't improved with a six-speed.

This sort of cost-cutting compromise that may turn people off is what has me worried about sales of this bike. The other big area is suspension - no upside down forks and other than rear preload, no suspension adjustments whatsoever.

A think a $10,299 CB1100 with USD fork, rebound adjustments, and a six-speed box would sell more bikes than the $10K bike we're getting.

- Mark

I disagree. Honda has the CB1000 with the usd fork, six speed box, and the way it looks, those parts suit it.

Honda did a nice job in my opinion of building a bike to please those who used to ride CB750s. Btw, a few of the online moto sites said the brakes and suspension were fine.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #244
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,730
I have never even considered buying a new bike, always liked having someone else take the depreciation hit, but I am getting pre approved for this beauty... Who knows, I may hate it when I see it up close, but right now it seems like the perfect successor to my Nighthawk 750 and 919.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #245
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,107
I really like the civility in this thread, unlike so many others in RRs.
The nonsensical comments seem pretty minimal.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #246
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Needs a TDi engine though. WTF was Honda thinking!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #247
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Needs a TDi engine though. WTF was Honda thinking!

I hope they are using approved blinker fluid. It such a pain to bring a bike up to spec.

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #248
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitate View Post
I hope they are using approved blinker fluid. It such a pain to bring a bike up to spec.
That approved stuff is just simple nail polish remover with a different label and 7000% increase in price.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #249
DesmoTull
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
uh oh... this is going downhill quickly...

Mine will be getting a trim similar to this:

DesmoTull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #250
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,338
I have a deposit on one. Refundable if I don't like it for any reason, including price. MSRP yet to be determined for Canada. That new 700 really pissed me off when it was explained to me that I could only get ABS if I opted for the "automated" transmission?? WTF? I think I'll like this one, though.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #251
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
I currently own an 82 CB900F and a 79 XS650.I was thinking before to maybe get a new Bonneville as an upgrade to the Yamaha and keep the Honda for my Inline 4 fix.Now I don't know.I think I'm the target demographic on the new CB.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #252
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
You meet the nicest trolls in Honda threads.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #253
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,857
Quote:

- Mark
well, you are probably right, but a) if you're Honda and you are trying to make this bike price competitive, it doesn't make much sense to put a high $$$ suspension on it - especially when most of your target market will probably never adjust the suspension anyway, and b) I doubt that it really NEEDS a 6 speed tranny. My FJR had 5, and it was fine. My Nomad has 5, and it's fine. I once had a bike with a 4 speed, and it was fine. Even if they decided to put a 6th gear in it doesn't mean that the new 6th would be any higher than the current 5th (if that makes sense). If you put a really tall 6th gear in there, then people are going to complain about poor performance in top gear. It's a compromise, and somebody is going to complain no matter what you do.

Honda has a really sweet CB1000 for the people who want something that is a little more "cutting edge".

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #254
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
You meet the nicest trolls in Honda threads.
Oh, SNAP!! .

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #255
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:

- Mark
Sure I'd like higher spec too. But as Cogitate said, the preliminary comments are pretty good, suspension wise.

Copied from here: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/117/14...irst-Ride.aspx

While many standard bikes these days incorporate under-sprung suspension for our likings, the 2013 CB1100 suspension department integrated a well sprung front fork and dual rear shocks. Damping of the suspension scored major kudos for working nicely all the way through the stroke. From fast rough roads to speed bumps and pot holes, the suspension handled every element we threw at it without a fuss. Handling characteristics are a dream.

And from here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...ide-91464.html

The CBs suspension looks like something out of the early-80s, with a conventional right-side-up fork and dual rear shocks. However, they perform much better than period components. Its 41mm fork is much beefier than anything from the 70s and has preload adjustability for its 4.7 inches of travel. The shocks also are adjustable for preload, although rear travel is just 3.5 inches. The CBs suspension compliance is exemplary, providing a smooth ride even over nasty road surfaces.