Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #391
COG-528
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
From what I've read on Wild Guzzi the electrical wiring is the minimum that might do the job. Specifically the wiring to the starter solenoid and can end up leaving you trying to bump start your motor. I would have thought that MG would have improved their electrics after all these years. I didn't buy a Guzzi back in the mid 1980s because a Guzzi mechanic warned me they were prone to electrical problems.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=43725.0
COG-528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #392
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by COG-528 View Post
From what I've read on Wild Guzzi the electrical wiring is the minimum that might do the job. Specifically the wiring to the starter solenoid and can end up leaving you trying to bump start your motor. I would have thought that MG would have improved their electrics after all these years. I didn't buy a Guzzi back in the mid 1980s because a Guzzi mechanic warned me they were prone to electrical problems.

It is indeed an "interesting" issue. I've had the click-no-start issue a couple of times, but it seems to have been more related to still having the original '07 battery in place (which finally gave up the ghost two days ago). I have done the modification just to be on the safe side, so it's not a big deal. All bikes have some idiosyncrasies - sort of the nature of the beast.

At least it's not Lucas electrical

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #393
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,345
I called my local Guzzi store about a Norge, and he said not yet they are having some issue with the cylinders. Anyone hear anything like that? He's a pretty knowledgable guy and did some work on my 03 LeMans.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #394
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
I called my local Guzzi store about a Norge, and he said not yet they are having some issue with the cylinders. Anyone hear anything like that? He's a pretty knowledgable guy and did some work on my 03 LeMans.
Hadn't heard that from anyone on GuzziTech or Wild Guzzi. It's pretty much the same motor that has been in the Griso for the last year or so, the 2011 Norge, and the Stelvio, so I can't imagine what he's talking about. Other dealers have been getting and selling the 2012 Norges, but I don't know of anyone who has a 2013 Norge yet.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #395
radguzzi
The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer: 5,611
Quote:

Doesn't Kev from WG go on to state that the battery seemed to be the issue with his Breva....?

Cleaning the battery terminals helped but the battery was old...? New battery, no issue...!

You call that electrical problems...? ? ? I do not call that prone to electrical issues...

Good thing you didn't buy that Guzzi back in '80...

Member: AMA - USCRA - MGNOC
radguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #396
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Just got my first video look at the updated Norge, Wow, all I can say is, it looks like they took an already fine bike and fine tuned it into something extra sweet.

Very, Very, Nice
Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #397
COG-528
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by radguzzi View Post
Doesn't Kev from WG go on to state that the battery seemed to be the issue with his Breva....?

Cleaning the battery terminals helped but the battery was old...? New battery, no issue...!

You call that electrical problems...? ? ? I do not call that prone to electrical issues...

Good thing you didn't buy that Guzzi back in '80...
Actually Kev from Wild Guzzi chose to run wiring directly from his battery to the starter. That suggests to me that he feels the wiring loom has a fault from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev m
Breva/Norge etc - Starting Problems March 07, 2011, 01:35:19 PM
OK - biggest change is that during the course of this thread I decided that Voltage Drop over the circuit feeding the starter relay was the most likely culprit for a no-start especially with a questionable battery.

So I decided to install a new power feed for the starter relay.

Some in this thread had suggested tapping into existing wiring, but I thought it most simple to just run a brand new, inline-fused wire directly from the positive battery terminal to the voltage input wire (YELLOW) to the starter relay.

May be you haven't seen all the discussions about the electrical problems causing not starting. Here is a thread from August 2012.
Sparatic no start

I'd love to see even anecdotal evidence that the problem is only with the early year Brevia/Norges.
COG-528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #398
ddddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
My 2012 Norge runs beautifully, no problems. As far as electrical issues , I believe that's on older models
ddddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #399
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
ddddd,
When are we going to see some pics of your Norge?
joe cool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #400
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Actually Kev from Wild Guzzi chose to run wiring directly from his battery to the starter. That suggests to me that he feels the wiring loom has a fault from the factory.

May be you haven't seen all the discussions about the electrical problems causing not starting. Here is a thread from August 2012.
Sparatic no start

I'd love to see even anecdotal evidence that the problem is only with the early year Brevia/Norges.
My '08 Norge never exhibited this problem. I did install the mod about six months before I sold the bike though, just because it seemed like a good idea and it was really simple. It was a very reliable machine. Never a problem in two years and 14k miles.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #401
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

I've never had any problems with my 08 Norge other than the side stand.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #402
radguzzi

Quote:
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Actually Kev from Wild Guzzi chose to run wiring directly from his battery to the sta[SIZE=3]rter. That suggests to me that he feels the wiring loom has a fault from the factory.
I believe Kevin M ran a larger wire to the starter on the Jackal, the 1100 that he had before the Breva... That particular m/c had key switch issues as I recall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd View Post
My 2012 Norge runs beautifully, no problems. As far as electrical issues , I believe that's on older models

Correct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
I've never had any problems with my 08 Norge other than the side stand.

Side stand switches can be troublesome on any model and they have been on mostly the EV, Jackal, SS, Bassa models...

I have had no issues on the '07 Norge since new (started riding it in 4/08) and she now has 44K on it...

Old 12-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #403
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Side stand switches can be troublesome on any model and they have been on mostly the EV, Jackal, SS, Bassa models.

Mine issue was with the side stand bolts as MG don't do lock tight
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #404
radguzzi

Quote:
Quote:
Side stand switches can be troublesome on any model and they have been on mostly the EV, Jackal, SS, Bassa models.

Mine issue was with the side stand bolts as MG don't do lock tight
Ahh, with ya... We were talking about electrical gremlins so I just went with the side stand cut out switch issues that have come up from time to time that leads to the dreaded non starting condition on the models that I mentioned... The actual side stand bolts on those are bullet proof...

The Norge however, does suffer from the 10MM Allen head securing bolt on the side stand backing out.

And correct, Guzzi does not always know how to secure threads or grease a rear drive coupling or neck bearings. Check those components at tire time or on older Guzzis, the neck bearings.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #405
ddddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
ddddd,
When are we going to see some pics of your Norge?
Well I would if I could work out how to do it
ddddd is offline   Reply With Quote