Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #3661
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,909
-10ēC, and several inches of snow fell over the night, so naturally it was time for a snow ride. We put just a couple dozen screws on the outer knobs just to insure we could stop. Meh, didn't help. It was suuuuuper slippery, but wicked fun ripping around the city, alleys, and various other places. No big spills, so it's all good. Again, lousy phone pics, sorry.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #3662
GreatWhiteHunter
Lovin' Life!

Oddometer: 341
Thanks!

Just wanted to drop a note and say thanks to everyone that posted in this thread. I've absorbed it all (or like to think I have) and now I get the chance to put it all together. I picked up a 2010 530 XC-W with a street title and will be using the downtime this winter to make a few mods to the bike. The pointers in this thread will go to very good use.

Here's a pic, hope you don't mind that it's not an EXC.

* 2010 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 X-RS
GreatWhiteHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #3663
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Nice! I like the 6 days graphics,very stylish. I had my 530 out today,springlike conditions with enough mud and rocks to keep it interesting. Traction was mostly great and had a blast!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #3664
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
More bonding time with the 530 today.

Hayduke screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 08:18 AM
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #3665
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
More bonding time with the 530 today.

Way to rub salt in a wound. You wait duke, once I put this prickly pear on, I'll be bonding with my 530 as well. I'm jacked, and am very curious how it is on ice, since it seems to have more pull than my friend's 530, and much more than the 525.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #3666
Foot dragger
singletracker

Ive gone riding in Colorado a few times,none of it looked like Mr Hayduke's version of Paradise,Makes me want to go to Salida and check it out!
Singletrack is epic at this moment in time in Nor Cal though,snow at 6500 ft but everything below that is absolutely perfect! Local secret trail area is all decomposed granite,velcro traction for sure.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 05:13 PM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #3667
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
So my 2010 XC-W started using quite a bit of oil at 100 hrs/2400miles. Should I just put in new KTM rings or go for an aftermarket piston and better rings?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #3668
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
So my 2010 XC-W started using quite a bit of oil at 100 hrs/2400miles. Should I just put in new KTM rings or go for an aftermarket piston and better rings?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Consider doing a leak down test on it before you go crazy. This will indicate where your problem is. There is still a possibility of a guide seal lifting. Somewhere not far back, Ned mentioned one of his Dakar motors suddenly using oil, and it was just that, a guide seal. Oil migration??

From info I've read on KTMtalk, the stock pistons aren't favored because of their ring design, even on the post '08 bikes. Seems Wossner is the piston kit of choice should you go down that road, but it would be worth checking over there yourself, or maybe LukasM will chime in.

Found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
+1

And realized I hadn't posted a recent update on my Dakar 450 motor...

At about 125 hours, it suddenly started consuming oil. Sure enough, I lifted the valve inspection cover, shined in with a flashlight while turning the motor over, and could see an intake valve guide seal going up and down.

My mechanic had a sneaky solution- we locked the motor at TDC, installed a compression tester and turned on the compressor, and then took off the valve spring retainer/ spring, replaced the guide seal, and reinstalled, all using air to hold the valve up. Worked like a charm- about a 10 minute job.

Back to consuming no oil. Leakdown was around 7%, which isn't bad for how that motor has been used! We did have to go 1 size thinner on both intake shims, first valve adjustment after half the Dakar, and a whole bunch of absolute flogging that has no internationally recognized name.

I'm so impressed with durability on those motors.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 AM   #3669
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Consider doing a leak down test on it before you go crazy. This will indicate where your problem is. There is still a possibility of a guide seal lifting. Somewhere not far back, Ned mentioned one of his Dakar motors suddenly using oil, and it was just that, a guide seal. Oil migration??

From info I've read on KTMtalk, the stock pistons aren't favored because of their ring design, even on the post '08 bikes. Seems Wossner is the piston kit of choice should you go down that road, but it would be worth checking over there yourself, or maybe LukasM will chime in.
+1 on the leak-down test, especially at 100 hours. I didn't do a leak-down on my '09 530 EXC, because I was planning to replace the piston anyway. I bought the bike used, and knew it had been used hard, with an unknown amount of hours/miles on it (PO estimated 6000 miles); and I knew the head was coming off to replace a bad exhaust valve stem seal. Mine was blowing so much oil out of the exhaust port, that oil was dripping off the header flange, and running down the front of the cylinder. But, the seal hadn't lifted, it was just worn out. Or, it's possible it was improperly installed at the factory, which has apparently happened before.

I went with a Vertex piston, simply because my great local dealer didn't have a source for Wossner, and Vertex is carried by Parts Unlimited. I'm lucky to have a local dealer who is a true enthusiast that supports the local riding community, and I give him first shot at everything I need. The Vertex is a little more expensive, and has some fancy coatings on the skirt and pin, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a Wossner. They're both high-quality, and easy to get.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #3670
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Thanks for the info. I have checked the valve lash and all is in speck. I tried looking at the valve seals, but it's hard to tell if they have moved. Can't see much looking through the valve springs. I plan on doing the leakdown test next week.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #3671
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post

Found it.

From what I've read the stock rings are the issue. KTM uses a single ring versus the traditional doiuble oil ring.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #3672
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
The Vertex is a little more expensive, and has some fancy coatings on the skirt and pin, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a Wossner. They're both high-quality, and easy to get.

Quote:
From what I've read the stock rings are the issue. KTM uses a single ring versus the traditional doiuble oil ring.
Vertex is another one. Yup, the issue is with the KTM ring. Again, not from my experience, but because I read too much, many have had success with the KTM piston and new rings, but many others have enjoyed relatively short term success.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #3673
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Can oftermarket rings be put on the OEM KTM piston, or do they have to go w/ their brand of piston?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #3674
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,124
YP,
The rings need to match the piston. They come as a set, and unless you are putting stock rings back into a stock piston, you are asking for a hung/broken ring at the least. More likely scored barrel and who knows what ever else might be destroyed. Ive had great luck with Wossner Piston in KTM's.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #3675
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Reading is good,best to figure out whats really wrong before taking it apart,Ned can tell you what to look at as far as the valve stem seal. 100 hours isnt many hours to be assuming it needs a rebuild.
Stock KTM parts can go many miles. Unless dirt got in somehow,then it needs a rebuild.