Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
gqelements
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Looks like a great middleweight tourer for those that dont need to pad their ego with extra CC they dont and can't use 98% of the time.
gqelements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqelements View Post
Looks like a great middleweight tourer for those that dont need to pad their ego with extra CC they dont and can't use 98% of the time.
It actually looks like the perfect successor to the '93 VFR750F I had in the 90s. Personally, I'd love to test ride the bike and I will very likely love it.

To be honest: you have nailed it damned well with the quote above. Women don't need dick enlargers, that's why they make rational selections even on a topic as emotional as motorcycles. And the F800GT is the perfect example of a "sensible choice bike". From all I have seen I'd love to ride one.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
My F800ST was the most sensible, and most boring bike I've ever owned. Finally decided that since I only go through life once, I wanted to feel like I was riding a motorcycle when that's what I was in fact doing. If I ever swing back from passion towards sensibility, the GT might top my list.

Judging from the photos, looks like they may have increased the seat-to-footpeg distance. I felt this was the biggest weak point of the ST as a tourer . . . a true torture device for the knees.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
[nevermind

Vertical C screwed with this post 11-15-2012 at 04:04 AM
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post

A nice looking 800cc sport tourer with belt drive. Sounds a lot like what riders have been asking for.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM   #21
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
A nice looking 800cc sport tourer with belt drive. Sounds a lot like what riders have been asking for.
I had to change my shirt after seeing that picture, it had drool all down the front. Yum.....

Regards, Paul
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
I like it a lot better than the previous version. It's a lot closer to something that may actually find itself in my garage someday.

I like sensible.
I like versatile.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
I have been asking for something like this for quite a while. Though I would prefer:

- more upright ergos
- more leg room
- more suspension travel (I don't care for all those stubby legged dwarfes ... )

Oh, wait. That's my Tiger with a belt drive. Hmm. Might be easier to get belt drive on the Tiger than adjusting the F to my ergonomics ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
I wonder when BMW will start selling that luggage...
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #25
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I wonder when BMW will start selling that luggage...
I believe they sold it for a decade on the R1150s. Looks like they dusted off the molds and bolted them up.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #26
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,174
I test rode an F800ST 3(?) years ago and liked it. But then again even with my 57 y.o. 35" inseam I can ride a Ducati Supersport for 2-3 hours comfortably.

Would like to see one in person.

Bet the bags are PRICEY.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #27
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I believe they sold it for a decade on the R1150s. Looks like they dusted off the molds and bolted them up.
I mean those cases specifically - I think they'll bolt onto an f800r, the stuff from the R bikes won't. Looks like the f800GT uses the "standard" f800s/f800st/f800r luggage supports (and exhaust cutouts).
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #28
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,993
this bike pushes a lot of the right buttons for me - but I know what's wrong with it. The price will be more than I am willing to pay, and the only BMW dealer for miles is a pain in the gluteus maximus. I gave up on BMW's when they charged me over $200 for a set of brake pads.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #29
DFH
270 deg crank

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
this bike pushes a lot of the right buttons for me - but I know what's wrong with it. The price will be more than I am willing to pay, and the only BMW dealer for miles is a pain in the gluteus maximus. I gave up on BMW's when they charged me over $200 for a set of brake pads.
The F800 uses Brembo calipers. Pads are available either directly from Brembo or plenty of aftermarket alternatives from numerous first class companies. Anybody that buys pads from BMW thinking BMW makes the pads should also be aware Santa Claus does not deliver them on his annual rounds.

F800 BMW are easy to self service - belt drive, spin off oil filter easily reached, long service intervals on bucket over shim valve train. Easy access to the 8 valves that need checking when the time comes (fuel tank under seat, not on top of engine with plenty of space between twin frame spars) with nothing unusual in the layout of the valve train. Don't like the dealer? You're not marrying his daughter, just buying a bike.

My disappointment with this bike is at this price point in 2012 I expect more than unadjustable damper rod front suspension...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #30
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFH View Post

My disappointment with this bike is at this price point in 2012 I expect more than unadjustable damper rod front suspension...
It (f800r, assuming similar in the GT) is notably better than my wee-strom which was notably better than my ninja 500, but then I weigh such that the stock preload and damper setting for me are correct (with gear and laptop bag).

I guess I just never really understand complaints like this, at what price point is it acceptable for a bike to not have $3000 in suspension components, particularly when it isn't the marque's track bike?